Unfinished projects of Bruce Lee

The Dragon

Any fans care to discuss the unfinished projects of Bruce Lee..?

It was revealed in Bruce Thomas' book, Lee had several projects on the slate that would have taken him in possibly a different direction action wise.

Does anyone have further information/comments regarding these projects:

The Silent Flute

Yellow-Faced Tiger

Southern Fists/Northern Legs

Game of Death

Nie Kan Yao

Seven Sons of the Jade Dragon (General Kuan: with Bruce supposedly playing no less than EIGHT roles)

Green Bamboo Warrior

:)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

According to Bey Logan: Bruce was considering starring in a wuxia for Shaw Bros to be directed by Chu Yuan; and this is the source of his promotional stills showing him in period costume.

Thanks for your comment Mark... I thought there would be more interest in this topic, seeing i have a little information myself...

Did you know that a great deal of the photos of Lee in Period costume are not exclusive to Shaws, but GH? It appears that Lee shot these photos after FOF, and before WOTD. It also explains why he still looks muscular and full bodied. The pics in question are the ones taken in a back lot, night lit, setting, with the different weapons, and the black fuzzy garb with the wristbands...

His Shaw session, taken around the time of ETD, he looks more frail, is either in the Qing official outfit, with long ponytail, or with the Vest, similar to the ones worn by the Venoms. He also shot pics with his face sporting a mustasche and goatee, and one with the Que tied around his head ala regular Shaw players.

GH entertained the thought of him in period pieces, however, he liked none of their scripts. The project where he was to play General Kuan, was a GH/Concord idea. General Kuan is famous for being burned in a temple and coming out of the ashes like the phoenix, to avenge his suppressors. all the while his face red with injuries...

The Silent Flute would be later known as Circle of Iron, starring David Carradine in four roles. The film also starred Jeff Cooper as a fighter who goes on a spiritual quest to learn the true meaning of martial arts. Originally, the film's screenwriter, Stirling Silliphant, wrote the film for Bruce Lee.

I'm guessing Yellow-Faced Tiger would be later known as Slaughter in San Francisco, and Don Wong Tao was the star with Chuck Norris as the villain. (Look for thread on this film)

As for Game of Death, we all know the 1978 version in which Bruce, Kim-Tai Jung (aka Tang Lung), and Yuen Biao were the same character. The documentary and book Bruce Lee: A Warrior's Journey by John Little tells the true story of Game of Death and made the story version with the uncut finale of the film.

Guest Killer Meteor

There's a rumour that Bruce was to play Ning Kang Yow, hero of The Rebellious Reign. Could that be the source of the Ching official costume?

Guest Chinatown Kid

What about the film A Man Called Tiger shot in Japan starring Wang Yu? Seems I read somewhere Bruce was originally supposed to star in that but after he made FOF he refused to work with Lo wei again and made Way instead.

What about the film A Man Called Tiger shot in Japan starring Wang Yu? Seems I read somewhere Bruce was originally supposed to star in that but after he made FOF he refused to work with Lo wei again and made Way instead.

This was also around the time he experimented with the publicity shots in period costume at the GH backlots. Just check for yourself, some of the pics have Lee wearing almost the same black fuzzy vest Sammo wore in Bandits From Shangtung, same costume, only Bruce is holding weapons.

"There's a rumor Bruce was to play Ning Kang Yow, hero of Rebellious Reign. Could that be the source of the Ching officia costume?"

Right, KM. The photos of Bruce in the Ching period costumes and the Shaw style vests and robes with the Que (ponytail), are from the Shaw photo shoots, not long before Bruce died. Notice in the pics with him holding weapons, it's a much healthier Bruce around the time of WOTD, when his weight hadn't diminished as much as would happen later.

... man, where are all the Bruce Lee fans? No one cares to discuss this? Then, the site shut down on his birthday and i couldn't post my tribute appropriately. Man, this is NOT cool.

Lastly, my avatar isn't working properly...

What a dis...:mad:

Well, what do you know? Now it's working. So, now where are the Lee fans?!

Sifu, you didn't give Bruce a B-day shout out. Man, what kind of Sifu are you? Lol. Bruce is the topic 24/7.

Archived