Tiger Vs. Dragon

Rage Against The Wind

New Fist Of Fury

Bruce Lee: The Invincible

Bruce Lee in New Guinea

One of my fave kung fu stars!

Guest Markgway

I wasn't sure if he meant Chen Hsing because the dude wasn't that old!! lol

He played San Te, the same character Liu Chia Hui plays in The 36th Chamber.

Great character actor, who sometimes got plum lead roles (see The Shaolin Plot for e.g.).

Guest CrazyFrog

Thanks, I'll check out some of his others. He looks older in IFM, but maybe he wasn't. The guy looks intimidating but friendly, like Yul Brynner on roids.

Guest kungfood

He's been in so many films...in addition, he's been in...

Kung Fu Emperor

Two Great Cavaliers

Heroes of the Wild

The Wandering Swordsman

Kung Fu Executioner

Iron Monkey II (with Chen Kuan-Tai)

Killer Priest

Shanghai 13

and many more...

I liked 'old Chen in The Bloody Fists. He was like an Asian Charles Bronson or equivelant. Tough, brooding, and still kicking major butt, he was great at both hero and villainous roles.

Guest CrazyFrog

Thanks all! I will check out Heroes of Shaolin and some others. I just like this guy's presence and I gravitate towards movies with actors that are memorable like this.

SlothStyleKungFu

Chen Sing is one of my favorites.

In my kung fu infancy, I first only recognized him in bad guy roles and regarded him as, "The guy they probably got because (in Taiwan) Lung Fei or (in HK) Ti Lung were busy."

But then when I started seeing him on more lead roles (and heroic ones) I realized what a badass presence he had in addition to a freaking fantastic physicality to his fighting. He had to be one of the best "lay on a beatdown" fighters in the history of kung fudom.

He was also in a movie with Carter Wong, something with "Flying Gullotine" in the title. I like him as an actor, but his martial art skills never impressed me.

I loved him as the antagonist in Duel of Fists & The Angry Guest. The Killer, was his name if I recall correctly.

He would stop at nothing to exact his revenge on Ti Lung and David Chiang in those films, killing and harming anyone close to those two.:D

Cognoscente

The rape scenes were a bit much for me. A better way for Sammo to convey the malice of the Manchus would have been to depict them killing children. In 1976, John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 depicted a child being shot, so you would think that Sammo would have followed in his footsteps.

• Like 1

Cognoscente

Come to think of it, I don't think that Sammo ever directed a movie where a child got killed (not even those evil kids in Eastern Condors). When I saw The Prodigal Son, I was expecting to see the equivalent to the Seven Little Fortunes having their necks slit in the assassination scene.

• Like 1

I have read in several sources that Jackie Chan assisted in the fight choreography. At one point, it was even reflected in the HKMDB, but that detail is no longer there. Does anybody know if Jackie did indeed help behind the scenes?

legendarycurry
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, DrNgor said:

I have read in several sources that Jackie Chan assisted in the fight choreography. At one point, it was even reflected in the HKMDB, but that detail is no longer there. Does anybody know if Jackie did indeed help behind the scenes?

From what I learned, It is basically believed that this is due to assumption /wrong info. One of the credited choreographers was "Yuen Lung" AKA Sammo's Peking opera name, which some people thought was Jackie. Jackie Chan's Peking opera school name however was "Yuen Lo". So basically Sammo credited himself as his Peking opera school name, and people thought it was JC being credited.

Edited by legendarycurry
added extra info and context
  • Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

27 minutes ago, legendarycurry said:

From what I learned, It is basically believed that this is due to assumption /wrong info. One of the credited choreographers was "Yuen Lung" AKA Sammo's Peking opera name, which some people thought was Jackie. Jackie Chan's Peking opera school name however was "Yuen Lo". So basically Sammo credited himself as his Peking opera school name, and people thought it was JC being credited.

Thank you for the clarification!

• Like 1