How long will Celestial Shaws be available?

Guest Shinobi

Guest Shinobi

hey guys I'm new here, and actually a bit new to the Shaw Bros. films though I did see a few back in the day. I just got into these Shaw films as a serious collector I think many of them are simply brilliant! I think I like watching Chen Kuan Tai movies the most because he's actually a real martial arts master, I'm not sure if any other popular Shaw actors were on that skillful of level?

I'm wondering though how long these films will be available to buy before going out of print? I ask because I'm unable to buy all the movies I would like to, it's gotta be only a few movies a month for right now. I have noticed it's getting a little harder each month to find some of the titles too.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest venom10463

I can tell you right now, alot of the older titles are already OOP. If I was you, I would start getting some of the older titles before you miss your chance.

Guest tarim69

Yea Ive been on a tear lately.

Prob bought 50 movies in the past 3 months.

I put off buying them for so long, now Im scrambling to get some stuff. I was also suprised and unprepared for how quickly some titles went out of print.

Im STILL trying to find a copy of Golden Swallow :(

I've been buying the Celestial DVD's since very early 2003 and can tell you from experience the one very important bit of information below:

As soon as Celestial releases a DVD that you want, buy it immediately. Do Not, I Repeat, Do Not Wait For Another Company To Release It.

Now please do not take what I said above as a slight against any of the current companies releasing Shaw Brothers DVDs or that will be releasing DVDs.

For instance I have seen comments on the board stating that some forum members will wait for Image to release this DVD or Dragon Dynasty to release this DVD. While I hate "double dipping" as much as the next consumer, don't be forced to pay OOP prices.

At the same time, I see that it's really unfair for someone new to Shaw Brothers, and the Celestial releases, having to deal with titles going OOP. It's not the fans fault that they didn't get in on the early releases. I've talked with several fans who just found out about the Celestial releases like last year. Since these releases are for the Region 3 market, those fan I've talked with really only heard about these release basically through the Fandom grapevine or other traders. Basically since there was no mainstream US press, how would they know.

Guest tarim69

Monk,

I saw that HKFlix has that as "special order" but its also backordered so I didnt think theyd be able to get it and my order would sit in "processing" forever.

Has anyoen actually got a backordered special ordered item from hkflix before?

To drive home the point - as said you shoudl order what you want. Delaying and thinking you have forever to get such and such a title.. before you know it, its OOP.

Had a hell of a time finding a copy of Kiss Of Death.

Guest Drunken Monk

I'm somewhat in the same boat as you Shinobi. In the UK I was a firm buyer of kung fu flicks but would always buy "Made in Hong Kong" releases as well as any others I could get my hands on. Having left them in the UK and moved State side my love for the genre grew. I began buying classic kung fu left right and center. Without knowing what was what I picked up Red Sun versions of all these movies. I had no idea they were a "no no" in kung fu circles.

So now I'm beginning to pick up Celestials where I can. So far I only have a few ("Invincible Shaolin," "Legendary Weapons..." and "The Brave Archer") but hope to start becoming a firmer collector very soon.

Guest oldeschool17

I currently have a special order w/ hkflix. Siren Visual must really suck on the customer service end cause they never responded to hkflix's inquiries if my order was in stock/shipped out. Im giving it till next week and if its not dispatched by then im cancelling the order. Mind you, i put in this order near the end of last month.

Guest tarim69

Will try through Shaw international.

Same thing really, I didnt bother because they have so many OOP titles still listed.

One again using Kiss of Death as a example. They had it listed, but didnt have any more in stock.

Thanks guys

Guest JustinB

The Thai versions are sometimes still available after the HK versions go OOP - ethaicd.com usually has a fairly good selection of them. As a last resort, the VCDs are easy to find. I had a really hard time tracking down Vengeance on DVD, but eventually found it on eBay after several months.

It really sucks they pulled this on us... If they had released the more popular titles first this would have really been a disaster. I waited for the titles I was more familiar with first, and now have been selectively choosing lesser know films. I hope we all can find some solice in this madness. :confused:

Lots of stuff is on ebay as cheap buy it nows & there should be a lot of deadstock floating around, especially in Asia where these films don't get much love.

Guest tarim69

Just watch out for burns and bootlegs on ebay. Make sure somewhere in the description it says its a original copy.

Theres a few sellers Ive been going to to get some DVDs on there. Reusing the same guys becuase theyre reliable.

small stores can have them surprisingly long..but availability from certain chain department stores I would not bet my family jewels..in general if you have chance to get movie you are after in vain,dun hesitate even if it is bit costy.

Vengeance on DVD, QUOTE]

I bought if from thailand on 2005 at 99baht..same price was for dragon swamp,killer clans,heaven&hell,roving swordsman and disciples of 36th chamber....but while over there truckload of shaws released finding them not easy.

I had a done a yahoo search on that store and couldnt find anything bad about them.

However I did a google search yesterday and found a thread from some forum where some people did say they had received bootlegs from them.

Just so happens,someone put up a original IVL on ebay yesterday so I grabbed that one as well.

HKDVDstore is now showing Golden Swallow out of stock, so maybe I got the last one. If the one from them is in fact a original and I end up with 2, Ill simply trade one off.

No biggie. Im just happy to have it after trying to find one after awhile. I put off getting it, I never expected that title to go OOP so soon.

Archived