Nov 22 pre-orders!

Guest Monk Sante

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Monkey King

Does anyone have any opinions on Young Vagabound and Murder Plot Please? The cast looks very good for Young Vagabound however, I have a feeling there will be a lot of comedy! Any opinions would be appreciated.

Guest Monk Sante
Yes! We are getting close to the end here! Not sure whether to laugh or cry

ivl10988101wf8.jpg

Well, I guess we all should be happy. I mean who would have thought some 10 years ago that we all would have these gems remastered on DVD in our living room shelves? I remember those days when a lousy bootleg copy would cost me around $20 bucks on VHS! I guess we all can sign a petition to re-open the Shaw studios. (Ha, Ha, Ha) ;)

Guest thundered mantis

I´m also interested in reading some feedback about Young Vagabond. Any good fighting here? Gordon Liu and Wang Lung Wei sounds awesome, but could also be another case of wasted star power...

Was disappointed with Young Vagabond. Keep in mind ive got a crappy copy, but i dont remember alot of comedy or action[good cast ,but wrong director i thought]. The best thing i remember is Gordon Liu using a Drunken Tiger style.

Guest thundered mantis

Thanks! Gordon Liu vs Wang Lung Wei going at it for more than three mins. is worthwhile for me, even if I have to sit through the whole movie to win my prize!

I´ll be ordering this one too. So little Celestials still to come :(

Just wanted to mention that the Nov 22 releases are up at CDWOW. I ordered them on Thanksgiving Day and they shipped this morning.

Guest malahat

Tigress of Shaolin arrived last week at my local retailer.

Very fast paced comedy,and a gallimaufrey of favourite scenes from films with Shaolin themes.Kara Hui may have top billing but is not on screen that much.

It includes Tibetan villains,leprosy boxing style training, and a salute to "Grease".

ironfistedmonk

I felt a bit disappointed by Tigress of Shaolin, this was one of the titles I was really looking forward to seeing and it didn't live up to my expectations. Jimmy Liu is the main star and he is quite good, the film has some of his best action but the comedy really lets this one down. The main villain is a pretty weak character and not evil enough for me either.

THE YOUNG VAGABOND is an excellent kung-fu comedy-adventure that, like OPIUM & THE KUNG-FU MASTER, goes back to the TEN TIGERS OF KWANGTUNG mythos and tells the story of Beggar Su (originally played by Kuo Chui) now played by Gordon Liu Chia-Hui. From the director of NEW TALES OF THE FLYING FOX, but with a lot less flying around. If you enjoyed CRAZY SHAOLIN DISCIPLES, then this one's for you!

THE TIGRESS OF SHAOLIN is a kung-fu comedy clearly designed to capitalize on Jackie Chan's success over at Seasonal Films that year and stars Jimmy Liu (of 36 CRAZY FISTS) who also happens to be Liu Chia-Yung's son and shares his name! It should have been titled Tiger Cub Of Shaolin as the titular "Tigress" played by Hui Ying-Hung is little more than a guest-star in this film. One may assume the title was an attempt to sensationalize her becoming sifu Liu Chia-Liang's newest disciple and starring in both DIRTY HO and MAD MONKEY KUNG-FU that same year. Unlike the previously discussed YOUNG VAGABOND which was shot on many of the famous interior soundstages at the Shaws Studio, this film was lensed mostly outdoors and bares more of a resemblance to THE FIVE SUPERFIGHTERS in terms of content and cinematography.

What's more, this DVD release actually includes the original theatrical (read: grindhouse) trailer for such an obscure film!

I would recommend YOUNG VAGABOND over TIGRESS OF SHAOLIN, but suggest both for all SB enthusiasts! :D

with my sincerest regards...

Archived