Vista Video Chinatown Kid

Guest daTOAD

reading a lot about cut and alt. versions of Chinatown Kid[love this movie] ,just want to know if the old vhs Vista Version is cut or the alt. version[from Celestial] everyone is talking about before i buy it again. thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest venomchamber

Vista did not release THE CHINATOWN KID, however, there were 3 other companies that did!

1- the first was a 108 minute pan & scan version released by Warner Bros. Home Video in the UK. (Two cover variants exist.)

2- the next one was World Northal's edited for television by Larry Bensky version released on VHS here in the States by Fox Lorber.

3- the third and most definitive release to date was made by Southgate Video, clocking-in at 114 minutes in widescreen ShawScope!

*there are also two unauthorized DVDs in circulation, one was by NS Video (read: Ground Zero) which appeared to have been made from the cut Fox-Lorber tape, the other by Red Sun which utilized the Southgate video.

The version currently available on region 3 DVD and VCD by IVL is an alternate, watered-down version made for the Taiwanese market in compliance with their censorship practices. (They did the same thing with The Boxer Rebellion, even going so far as to retitle it "Spiritual Fists")

In this version, Fu Sheng and Kuo Chui are merely arrested instead of killing each other. What's more, they chose to feature Taiwanese star Kuo Chui as the main villain of the film (in new scenes not found in the HK version) rather than Tsai Hung, who along with his bodyguard Wang Li, doesn't even appear in this print! (except for a glimpse of Wang Li's corpse laying on the floor at the very end!)

Happy Hunting! ;)

VC, you know your stuff man... How'd you get so informed? Thanks for your shared info. man... I never knew Shaws had so many versions of CTK out on the market...

Guest WhiteTiger1

3- the third and most definitive release to date was made by Southgate Video, clocking-in at 114 minutes in widescreen ShawScope!

I have two original vhs copies of Southgate and 3 original copies of Warner Bro video

Southgate was the best in my opinion.Dubbed Version

Guest Chinatown Kid

If you really like this film let me suggest you consider getting the fansite DVD from the Five Deadly Venoms fansite. It has the international Southgate version plus it has the alternate footage from the Celestial version as well. You can find it here:http://fivedeadlyvenoms.cjb.net

Guest venomchamber
...so is the Celestial worth picking up at all?

a few good reasons:

1- if you're a completist like myself,

2- for the beautifully restored, digital remastered picture quality (on the DVD only, avoid the inferior quality VCD),

3- if you prefer to hear it in Mandarin instead of the English dub.

with my sincerest regards...

Thanks to everyone for all the info. I am a completist so i guess ill be getting Celestial version and checking out the one at FDV fan site.

Archived