The Phantom Killer (1981)

Guest ironfistedmonk

Guest ironfistedmonk

Has anyone else checked this one out yet? I'm a sucker for the whodunit investigation kung fu movies and this one is quite interesting. There is a serial killer who is bumping off all of the women who fancy a dashing young fighter named Hsiao Feng (played by Wei Pei), the killer is known as the Phantom and dresses like a monk (similar to how Eddy Ko dressed in Duel to the Death, not the typical Shaolin Monk). There isn't alot of action, what there is is pretty solid stuff but it's got an interesting story which keeps you guessing, good stuff.

Phantom Killer is a decent flick, yes... Somewhat naive at times, maybe, but still - I was quite surprised by how well the plot worked and how well the suspense was built up...

I am happy with this VCD as the aspect ratio is correct. Movie was riveting and Wei Pai was excellent. Interesting to see Shaw actress Shaw Yin Yin in a cameo.

Watched this tonight and it was actually pretty good. Someone compared this to HUMAN LANTERNS. Although I don't see the connection aside from the use of a skull mask, the film did remind me slightly of certain plot points in Nicolas Roeg's DON'T LOOK NOW (1974) and Argento's PHENOMENA (1985). The suspense scenes were handled nicely and I would have liked this more had there been a DVD. A nice mix of horror and kung fu but there's more of the former than the latter.

Guest ekisha

yeah i wonder why Joy Sales' most releases are only available on vcd?There are lot of good flicks starting from 70's to 90's but they release them without remastering and only on poor quality vcds.

________

Lovely Wendie

yeah i wonder why Joy Sales' most releases are only available on vcd?There are lot of good flicks starting from 70's to 90's but they release them without remastering and only on poor quality vcds.

Because they realy aren't interested in providing us with a resonable product, let alone a quality one.

Cognoscente

So that's why Stanley Fung usually wore a hat. Anyway, this is from issue #128 of Cinemart (August 1980).

128august80.jpg

• Like 2