Which movie (or actor's performance) exceeded your expectations?

Guest Endsang

Guest Endsang
I`m not fan of lau kar leung but also liked that movie.alley fight is amazing indeed.wang lung wei does not often use kicks but in that he does and shows great flexibility.

I think he was doubled for some of the flexibility stuff, but he is a pretty good kicker.

Martial Club surprised me also.. I think the movie started off a little slow, and I wasn't too fond of the comedy elements in it, but the last fight is truly amazing. Probably Gordon's best. I also love the scene with the cloth rolls, where they test Gordon's stance and footwork. Simply amazing.

Guest will91XingYu

I read that it was Hsiao Ho that doubled Wang Lung Wei, but not taking anything away from Wang although he may be a little overatted by some people as one of the best superkickers, this guy is amazing when it comes to shapes, moderns and being a badass.

Guest Iron_Jinon

shaolin handlock..I was pretty certain from beginning it is at least OK but turned out to be good one.storyline is usual revenge stuff but offers few surprises and fighting is pretty decent.and it was nice to see lo lieh as villain without white hair&beard.Better this is than most movies I`ve seen cheh made starring chiang based on modern time IMO

Guest iron flag

Judgement of an Assassin, Soul of the Sword, Strife for Mastery, Imperial Sword (aka Kung Fu in the Brave Shadow), Shanghai 13. All must haves for the collection!!!

Guest Iron_Jinon
Really? I've heard alot of bad stuff about this movie, but I'm really curious due to the all star cast.

impossible not to love movie with such cast and when fighting kicks off after bit slow start,it`s almost nonstop...but it looks like really low budget movie,dun expect cool sets or costumes you saw in Shaw Brothers flicks.

The Boxer From Shangtung, with Chen Kuai Tai, was a film that went beyond my expectations...

Chen's performance here was every bit as powerful as Lee's was in FOF. The

formula was SO successful, they captured lightning in a bottle twice with Man Of Iron, a similar story.

The showdown in BFS, is one of the bloodiest ever put on film. The axe gang against Ma Yung Chen is a story told through several Kung Fu flicks however,

this version is the best.

If you haven't had the chance to check it out, do so. :)

Guest Morgoth
Judgement of an Assassin, Soul of the Sword, Strife for Mastery, Imperial Sword (aka Kung Fu in the Brave Shadow), Shanghai 13. All must haves for the collection!!!

SHanghai 13 surprised me too. All that I heard about it was that it was filled with cameos and Chen Sing comes in at the end overweight and starts knocking walls down. WHat I ended up getting was a movie with nonstop awesome fight scenes. Its just good mindless action. My kind of movie:D

Guest Endsang
The movie is basically one fight after another. Dont expect too much story! :) Hitman in the Hand of Buddha is another one that was better than expected.

Hitman in the hand of buddha was actually the first Hwang Jang Lee flick I saw.. was a totally random pick at a store since I had a gift certificate I had to use on something. Picture was bad, and it was dubbed to korean. I don't think I even finished it the first time I saw it, but the second time around I really liked it. I particulary liked how he used the chopsticks against Tino Wong.

Guest oldeschool17

I just watched Shaolin Intruders and was pleasantly suprised at how good it was. Typically im against heavy wirework, but they made it work without being totally cheesy. Good camera work, lots of action, and nice plot to boot.

5 Element Boxer

I just watched Shaolin Intruders too. I love that movie. Highly quality choreography during the fight scenes and especially with the wire-work.

Guest kungfood

Shaolin Martial Arts, the first time I saw it. It became the mold for the training kung fu film. And I loved Fu Sheng's and Chi Kuan-Chun's performances. IMO they made the ideal two-person team, the tall, quiet strongman and the younger, impish kid who was also a masterful fighter. I think they gelled better than David Chiang and Ti Lung in Chang's earlier films.

Disciples of Shaolin. I liked this one for Fu Sheng's acting and charisma as much as for the fighting action.

The Kid from Kwangtung. I saw it the year it was made, and though I'd seen the previews, the film itself quickly became one of my faves. Especially the final fight with Hwang Jang-Lee against Wong Yu, Chiang Chin, and Yang Pan-Pan. Also, Hwang destroys Ren Shi-Kuan twice in one-on-one fights during the movie.

Guest Endsang

Chi Kuan Chun and Fu Sheng always had good chemistry on screen imo. They were like opposite poles, where Chi Kuan Chun was the over-serious type and Fu Sheng was goofing around.

Guest Iron_Jinon1

bells of death

Have to confess I was not expecting much from this..was pleasant surprise.use of blood seems to be tad more realistic than for example in chang cheh productions made in same era,great sets&Lam Kau makes quite original villain.use of rain and thunder is brilliant too....tiny complain for not having virtually no training.when sifu accepts main character as student he becomes immediately expert...not 5/5 stuff but well worth checking out:)

Cognoscente

Challenge of the Gamesters

I think it's the best directorial debut of HK cinema. Wong Jing was the same age that Orson Welles was during the making of his debut, Citizen Kane.

• Like 2