Iron Chain Assassin (aka Convict Killer)

Guest Hermeskungfu

Guest Hermeskungfu

I just got this. Not the Celestial version but the Red Sun copy. Not a bad print, though the dubbing is not great and there were a few breaks in the film. Anyway for anyone who hasn't seen it, this is a terrfic story with lots of twists and turns right to the end. Ti Lung is great in this and I think there must be a fight every 5 minutes all the way through including, unusually, some gun play. Good acting, great story and terrific kung fu - my type of film.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like this one but my copy is kinda weak. Love the noirish overtones of it all, and of course fighting with prisoner chains is a very nice gimmick. I have a feeling too that a proper remastered copy will reveal this movie to be pretty great visually.

Another of those Ti Lung leading roles where he's almost "Eastwoodlike", with his strong silent type potrayal of a former criminal out for justice.

I really liked this film and Tony Liu Yung is great as his old "weasel" like self.

Skeleton Claw

So, I'm watching Convict Killer again. Something about the movie I always liked. Not a lot of Chu Yuan films set in the Republic Era like this one (although that never finished Ti Lung / Fu Sheng film "Mark of the Eagle" had a similar look to this one, at least judging from the few stills that I've seen).

Anyway, so in the very beginning - within the very 1st minute of the film actually - Ti Lung's character is seen confronting a man that he believes framed him for smuggling opium, therefore making him a wanted man. He shoots the guy. Guy drops dead, still professing his innocence. Immediately, just like that, the cops are there with their rifles on Ti Lung. Presumably caught in the act of murder. However a narrator and a subtitle then appears stating that he was "sentenced to 15 years in prison for smuggling opium". Hello? Did none of those guys arresting Ti Lung notice him gunning dude down right there?? No murder charge??

I know that I'm not supposed to look too hard into this stuff. But it's funny. Right off the bat, there's a huge inconsistency like that. I suppose if he was charged with murder, we'd have no movie. Hmm. Anyone else notice this and think it odd?

I have this dvd but have not watched it yet. If I can watch it this weekend, I will report back. Maybe someone that has already seen it can comment.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I love Convict Killer.

Yeah I may have noticed but its been 10 years since I last saw it.

Saw it 3 or 4 times in the day from VHS.

The one scene when Ti Lung does three one legged squats in a row was awesome.

the-convict-killer-1980-ti-lung.jpg?w=910

ConvictKiller_GoldenSwallow_SC36.jpg

GD Y-Y

Archived