To Chow or not to Chow, that is the question!

Sifu

Guest Morgoth

I also like that final fight in fist of Fury 91. Always nice to see Corey Yuen in action. And then those stunts at the very end are insane.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I mean when you look, only two other people have really made such an impact on HK cinema in the past 30 years! Bruce and Jackie, Stephen Chow hit big with Shaolin Soccer which grossed 60 mil! (which reigned it the highest grossing in HK history) And then he topped his previous highest box office record with Kung Fu Hustle! He holds both the #1, and #2 spots.

Stephen Chow was already the box office king in HK before he made those two movies. I like Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle to a lesser extent, but I don't consider them mo lei tau, or at least a watered down version.

For good mo lei tau movies, you need to watch his old movies: Love on delivery, All for the winner, etc. Movies where he acts like a jerk (Royal Tramp 1+2, Hail the judge, etc.) are even better examples.

I gotta say though, even though he may have been the box office king at one time or another preceding Shaolin Soccer. But, he wasn't at the time of Shaolin Soccer's reign. I'm pretty sure it was Storm Riders or Tokyo Raiders. Those two were in the top, but one of theme was number one at the time. :cool: Good movies though.

Guest Ivan Gorchev

Shaolin soccer was the highest grossing movie in chinese history until

2004 when Kung fu Hustle took over the title(wikipedia)

We've already established that, I just wanna find a full list!! :mad: I've searched with no luck. If anyone has it, please post the list.

This list I found was only up to 2005, but this was the Top 10 films in HK at the time:

1 - Kung Fu Hustle

2 - Shaolin Soccer

3 - Police Story

4 - Rumble In The Bronx

5 - Infernal Affairs

6 - God Of Gambler's Return

7 - Justice, My Foot

8 - All's Well, Ends Well

9 - Thunderbolt

10 - Mr Nice Guy

This list I found was only up to 2005, but this was the Top 10 films in HK at the time:

1 - Kung Fu Hustle

2 - Shaolin Soccer

3 - Police Story

4 - Rumble In The Bronx

5 - Infernal Affairs

7 - Justice, My Foot

9 - Thunderbolt

10 - Mr Nice Guy

Wow, Mr. Nice Guy and Rumble in the Bronx! Some of Sammo's worst directorials! Thanks Al! :cool:

By the way, I just went to HKMDB.com and that third one is wrong. There is NO Police Story installment that beats Rumble in the Bronx, God of Gambler's Return of any subsequent ones. The rest seem to be correct! Thanks

Guest dragonherb

So I'd be the first one to mention All's Well End's Well and Magnificent Scoundrels in this thread! Those are my favorites. He didn't direct them though.

Wow, Mr. Nice Guy and Rumble in the Bronx! Some of Sammo's worst directorials! Thanks Al! :cool:

By the way, I just went to HKMDB.com and that third one is wrong. There is NO Police Story installment that beats Rumble in the Bronx, God of Gambler's Return of any subsequent ones. The rest seem to be correct! Thanks

Thanks for the update Sifu. I did check IMDB as well and Rumble in the Bronx was directed by Stanley Tong.

Mr. Nice Guy wasn't that great, not enough action IMO. Although I did like Sammo's cameo as the biker..was pretty funny, plus it was great that Brad Allan was the stunt team member in the cement mixer.

HA HA, sorry. I'm usually good at posting, I didn't mean to make that a statement for both.

It should've read like this:

Wow, Mr. Nice Guy, one of Sammo's worst! Rumble in the bronx could've been better as well! :cool:

By the way, I just went to HKMDB.com and that third one is wrong. There is NO Police Story installment that beats Rumble in the Bronx,

I was wrong, you were right! You didn't specify which, but I forgot to look up First Strike (aka Police Story IV: First Strike), that was third highest with $57

million! :eek: It came out in 1996, meaning it was number 1 for 5 years!!!

The correct list, I'm remembering this for future nerdy reference. Thanks again Al.

1 - Kung Fu Hustle

2 - Shaolin Soccer

3 - Police Story IV

4 - Rumble In The Bronx

5 - Infernal Affairs

7 - Justice, My Foot

9 - Thunderbolt

10 - Mr Nice Guy

No problem Sifu. The site I got the info from were mistaken and put Police Story in the #3 slot, not realizing they should have meant Police Story IV.

I will say CJ7 looks really good from the teaser trailer. I am definitely planning to see that. My wife began liking Stephen Chow after seeing Kung Fu Hustle in the theaters. We liked it so much that we went back to the theater the next day and saw it again!!!

I can see why Stephen won the HK Film Award for Best New Actor after seeing Final Justice. I have the DVD and yeah, it was before his mo lei tau films, but he showcased his range for acting talent and did a hell of a job IMO. Liked him in Dragon Fight too with Jet Li. Wish he would have gotten some action in that film as Jet, Dick Wei, Steven Ho, Mark Williams, and even Ernie Reyes, Sr. got some action in the film.

No problem Sifu. The site I got the info from were mistaken and put Police Story in the #3 slot, not realizing they should have meant Police Story IV.

I will say CJ7 looks really good from the teaser trailer. I am definitely planning to see that.

Looks like it's back to being a beggar for Chow! :D I like the looks of the movie so far, and that kids face at the end :eek: is making me cry of laughter! Here are both trailers.

TO SEE THE TRAILER IN HD!!:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3jcp0_watch-the-trailer-for-stephen-chows_shortfilms

HK Trailer:

3uWpLQI-eMs

American Trailer:

ovZT5vZOwWQ

What's weird is the new forum think's I'm a different user than before. I can't edit my threads from before :( Oh well.

Movie looks hilarious though.

Who else is going to be in it? Now that Chow Yun fat is on board I am sort of interested in this movie.

Here you go Morgoth:D

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3875

Chow is the producer!!! A rep from his film company Star Overseas Co. Ltd. confirmed the news. They didn't say who, but I think its Tin Kai-Man, who usually is the spokesperson for the company.

Archived