Showdown (1993) - Billy Blanks, Kenn Scott, Ken McLeod

AlbertV

I caught this on HBO last month before I moved and boy, it may have been an American martial arts film, but James Lew is a decent fight choreographer. The movie is a 90's version of The Karate Kid.

Former Ninja Turtle stuntman turned recent director Kenn Scott plays the Ralph Macchio role of Ken, the new kid at school. Ken McLeod is the Billy Zabka of the film, bully Tom. Christine "Mrs. Ben Stiller" Taylor is the Elisabeth Shue role of Julie, but it is Billy Blanks who is the Mr. Miyagi of the film, former cop turned janitor Billy.

This is one of my favorite non-HK martial arts films to see. The training sequences have a bit of comic relief at times and the fights overall were really good for a Hollywood production. James Lew makes an appearance as a hitman hired by the bad sensei to kill Billy because of a grudge back years ago. There is also an illegal fight ring involved...all the all a good film IMO.

I think in Europe, the film is called American Karate Tiger

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed this movie as well. Decent Sunday night cable flic. Billy's sissor takedown is the highlight move of the film, it was also a trademark technique of his during his competition years.

If you like this film you'll probably enjoy Balance of Power which gives James Lew a bigger role as the arch villian. The choreography is much better in this one as well, IMO. Can't say much for the story or acting so again, decent Sunday night cable flic. I appreciate Billy Blanks' skills and fighting ability but not too many of his films!

James Lew is always good and underrated. I had the pleasure of meeting him, a true class act. His "Art of Stretching and Kicking" book is one of the first ma books I ever purchased.

i liked this movie for a us based martial arts movie as well but they should've picked a better villian then patrick kilpatrick he's a slow and stiff moving fighter i'd rather have seen billy fight brion james then him smh.. james lew should've been the main bad guy

Guest gorhama

I remember seeing this a long time ago, I liked it. Had a B movie Karate Kid feeling too it and the fight scenes weren't too bad for a low budget!!

i do like the MVD releases, even if some of their customer service could be improved

But SHOWDOWN is a solid flick, and i hope they've reached out to Kenn Scott (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Johnny Tao) Billy Blanks, Patrick Kilpatrick, James Lew and co for this one, and see if the ex Mrs Ben Stiller, Christine Taylor who plays the love interest will talk about it too

Archived