The Pirate

KyFi

Ok, I was impressed with the opening sea battle---that looked pretty cool considering the budget they were probably working with. The wigs on the European officers were quite hilarious, though. :)

I liked the story and performances, and the pirate ship setting was pretty cool, but it seemed pretty light on action. I fell asleep for the last 15 minutes---did they actually do any fighting?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Yes they did. In fact some of the best fighting/sparring I hadn't expected to see between David Chiang and Ti Lung in the film. It delivered. Of course the story could have followed through as to a full fledged pirates film, but they seemed to be stuck at mediocricy on this particular film, for the most part.

I thought this film was a wonderful unexpected change, yet a tad bit watered down, with the exception of course in regards to the last fight between Dave Chiang and Ti Lung. That was some good stuff.

Ah, cool---I'll go back and watch the end of it again. Yep, I pretty much agree with your assessment. I thought the ocean setting and the shots of the crew on the ship, and some of the early naval engagements were quite cool, but they didn't seem to really make the great Shaw pirate movie that they could have. I really love the early 70's Shaws, too---it seems like they were really exploring many different genres of kung fu movies durng this period, but this one seemed like a bit of a half-hearted effort.

finished watching this evening, and thought it was a pretty good film.

Q -- was it me, or... was the music at the end the tune "My Old Kentucky Home" around the 94:34-95:00 mark, and a variation of it again immediately afterwards?

Guest ironfistedmonk

I swear one of the European guys in the bad wigs at the start of the movie was the Mama Mia guy from Way of the Dragon lol

I thought this was alright, I didn't expect a full on pirate movie as they wouldn't have the budget to do mass sea battles and such and if they had tried it would have come off quite lame I think. I was actually glad when they got on dry land, I thought we were going to get some good throwdowns but there was very little action and a surprising lack of blood letting for a CC film but I still found it enjoyable.

Guest jmungus

alright but unspectacular routine affair from the godfather. must admit i was a bit disappointed about things never really taking off, its shallowness and i thought 5.5/10 would be appropriate until ti lung and dave chiang started one great show exchanging blows for the finale, 'skyrocketing' the final verdict to a 6.3

recommended only to die hard CC fans, iron triangle fans and maybe a good part of u ppl who love the shaws`early-mid 70s phase best.

All right, just went back and finished the last 20 minutes. I agree, that final fight between DC and Ti Lung, with the great beach setting, did raise my opinion of the movie considerably. Still a bit slow overall, but worth the purchase for that and the ocean settings.

Archived