The Chinese Enforcers (1974)

Guest Chinatown Kid

Guest Chinatown Kid

I saw where Joy Sales will be releasing this film on vcd soon and was hoping to get some opinions on it. It stars Sam Hui, Don Wong Tao and Sylvia Chang and apparently takes place in San Francisco's Chinatown. I imagine this flick was made shortly after Wong made Slaughter in San Francisco. If anyone has seen it before could you please tell me how the action was and your overall thoughts on the film? Any info would be appreciated, thanks. :)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chinatown Kid

No I didn't know that Mark, as a matter of fact I've never even seen the film Back Alley Princess, thanks for the info. If you have seen this sequel could you comment on the action and how the overall movie is? I have no idea if this was a rare film that not many have seen or if there was previous DVD or VHS releases.......

I've just got hold of the new VCD but not got around to watching it yet and probably won't until later in the week.

If no one beats me to it I'll report back! :D

Guest dionbrother

It's a sequel to BACKALLEY PRINCESS. Don Wong makes a weird cameo at the end as "THE YELLOW FACE TIGER". It was shot back-to-back with SLAUGHTER IN SAN FRANCISCO and Wong is playing the same character. It may be worth it for Sam Hui completists (of which I am one of the few) or if you are nostalgic for that era of Golden Harvest (also guilty of that) but it is a rather weak movie. You'd be better off getting NAUGHTY, NAUGHTY or a Hui Bros. comedy like PRIVATE EYES or THE LAST MESSAGE. Lost my copy years ago and don't know if I'd bother with a vcd.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Thanks for the info, does Wong Tao(I did like him in Yellow Faced Tiger)get to fight in his cameo and are there any good fights in this film? If there is good action, no matter if it's a little or a lot, will be the deciding factor on if I buy this vcd or not. :cool:

It's a pretty entertaining film especially if you're from the bay area. A friend got to be an extra playing a hood and got his face pushed into a bowl of noodles by Polly. Another friend got to be in the scene they did at George Long's studio as he was a white crane student there at the time. There was also a scene of Polly and Sam panhandling as street musicians on Telegraph Ave in Berkeley. Very nostalgic '70s bay area locations reminiscient of the Dirty Harry era.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Being a fan of the Dirty Harry films and also the Starsky & Hutch tv show from the 70's, I wouldn't mind seeing that nostalgic look of San Francisco from that time period. I was just hoping there was a little bit of fight action in the film to enjoy as well....:cool:

I was just hoping there was a little bit of fight action in the film to enjoy as well....:cool:

It has its share of action-that's why Polly is in there.

Could have also been a typical Golden Harvest re-titling on a rerelease to cash in on the success of the Hui Brothers comedies. From the issues I've read of Golden Movie News, it seemed typical for them to rerelease movies in their cinemas every few years.

Guest Markgway

Anyone know what the run time of the Taiwanese VHS was?

Reportedly 15 mins longer than the standard HK version (107m PAL)

Archived