5 element ninjas question

Guest lickinblood

Guest lickinblood

ok,i received the celestial dvd and my question are

1.is it uncut?

2.special question for those who know the dutch tape,

is the tape cut?because on a video convention someone told me the beginning is cut,and i read that there must be something longer in the final scene where the boss is getting torn apart and you see the guts,but i see only that he´s torn apart and no guts

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest oldeschool17

sorry to butt in on your thread, but can anybody identify what version is this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHINESE-SUPER-NINJAS-UNCUT-NEW-SEALED-R0-RARE_W0QQitemZ260180418637QQihZ016QQcategoryZ2288QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

is the dutch version taken from the tv version? If thats the case then the beginning probably doesnt have the beginning fights with the 5 elements

As far as the end fight, this appears to be the IVL version and it looks uncut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gQRtCxq86Y

Guest spannick

all English Versions i have seen yet (US VHS, US Bootleg, Dutch VHS) are Censored compared to the Celestial Print. The Lo Meng End Scene is bloodier, and the finale versus the Earth Ninjas has more gore. also Chan's ripping with his Footcleas of one of the Good Guys and his later Tearing apart is missing lots of blood-spraying now seen on Celestial's Print.

Chen Kuan Tai

Yes, finally uncut. Ivl dvd is the best version ever. Only the little frame cuts, what makes it faster in movie, I don't like. :(

Guest sangkala

To Every One, I Love Kungfu Movie... Im So Curius To See 5 Element Ninja.i Would Like To Say Thank You Very Muach If There Are Some People Form You Can Share That Movie

Yeah the IVL version seems to be the most complete and best quality available at the moment.There is just a slight cut that is debatable how significant it is as I don't really mind because it's significance had already been established;and that is Lo Mang's death scene.The shot of his death as he's skewed? to the burning door should carry on a bit longer but was cut short before the scene finished though not by much and it is pretty obvious.

Thanks KC, I'll have to check the HD remaster Media Blasters get for that one to see if it's different. In this case, I think it will be the same.

I didn't notice anything cut and I've seen the film 25 times. I'll look at that shot again, though myself. The one difference I did notice is that on two separate occasions musical cues have been placed differently which I assume has to do with the IVL being the HK cut.

Just looked at the Lo Mang death scene and nothing is cut. It's the same as the Vista tape. If anything is missing it's nothing I've ever seen before on any tape or television version.

However, the following are DIFFERENCES between the US release and the IVL disc...

During the scene in which Lo Mang and Cheng Tien Chi inspect the fortification of their base, the English version has an odd (a few seconds) short segment of music that begins and ends abruptly as the two enter the base accompanied by the camera pulling back. The music picks up when Lo and Cheng enter another hall leading into the scene where we see Chen Hui Min fanning himself as Chang Shen compliments him on wiping out the 8 heroes. At exactly 31:41 in the HK cut, the music begins in the same spot and continues on until 32:05 which then follows the English version.

During the scene where Chen Hui Min asks for "The opening instrument", the music that played in the English version of the film is not heard in the HK cut. This bit takes place at exactly 48:48 in the IVL disc.

One bit that is missing from the Vista tape as well as television showings on the USA Network is a minor bit that takes place right after Chen Hui Min tells Chen Pei Hsi she is to receive six months of hard labor. The scene cuts to Cheng Tien Chi running through the brush at exactly 1:03:18 and ending at 1:03: 24 seconds as the scene dissolves to Chen Pei Hsi working over a fireplace. However, this brief scene was included in the print that played on a local station here (Channel 48 WGGT) on the program, THE BLACK BELT FEATURE, MARTIAL ARTS THEATER and finally KUNG FU THEATER. Incidentally, the quick shot of the bare breasted kunoichi was intact as well but absent in the USA Network showings. This is probably not an actual 'cut', but the result of an alternate piece of footage that made its way into some prints of the film.

Also (in the US version) during the scene in which Chen Hui Min tells Chang Shen he doesn't intend to leave China to go back to Japan and his ninja begin to kill Chang's men, music heard throughout the film (the into of the Samurai during the opening tournament) plays over a number of the men being killed. In the HK cut, the music doesn't play at all. The scene discrepancy takes place at exactly 1:04:17. In the US cut, the music stops immediately when Chang Shan succumbs to strangulation by one of the ninja.

NOTE: The opening titles and voiceover appear differently for obvious reasons.

nice rundown on the discrepencies venoms5. this will be good info for linn to pass on to media blasters if its necessary to change

There are several other Shaw movies with cues missing or in different places between the US and HK cuts. SHAOLIN TEMPLE (1976) is another that comes to mind.

Also, nobody seems to have mentioned the extremely funny error in 5EN during the very last shot in which Chu Ko literally knocks the shit out of Yu Tai Ping. I always wondered why he fell so oddly against the rock. I'll take a screen cap if need be.

Nothing significant was cut from the death scene but the scene did not completely end you will definitely notice the jump into the next shot as if the censors were originally unhappy about a man roasting for too long.Check that scene again.

Hi, Kwok. I've watched this movie two more times since I last posted here and after reading your post decided to pop it in again this time side by side with the Vista release. There is no cut. Actually, the IVL seems to run about a second 1/2 longer than the Vista. You are referring to the scene where Lo tries to release Kuan Feng from the burning room, yes? Nothing is cut from this scene in the IVL disc.

Hi Venoms thanks for taking your time to run the prints side by side and check this out.It also proves as already mentioned that you are a true and dedicated fan of these movies.The scene I'm referring to is when Lo Mang actually dies as he is stuck by the burning door.If you observe carefully,when it is certain that he is already dead,the shot of him by the burning door is supposed to carry on a bit longer after he dies but as soon as he dies and the fire builds up there is a subtle cut before the shot ends then we go abruptly to the next scene.You'll notice a quick jerk like missing frames or a join in the master print/copy used for the transfer.It doesn't ruin anything but from experience I couldn't help noticing it.

when it is certain that he is already dead,the shot of him by the burning door is supposed to carry on a bit longer after he dies but as soon as he dies and the fire builds up there is a subtle cut before the shot ends then we go abruptly to the next scene.You'll notice a quick jerk like missing frames or a join in the master print/copy used for the transfer.It doesn't ruin anything but from experience I couldn't help noticing it.

Hi, Kwok. The bit you refer to is in both versions. Just after Lo screams "Master!!", the shot cuts to Kuan Feng in peril then back to Lo finally expiring. Then camera then pans down from his close up to reveal the sword in his gut then the camera pulls back.

Then another cut to Kuan Feng expiring from smoke inhalation followed by a shot of Lo pinned to the door. This is in both scenes on both versions. I don't see any abrupt missing frames but what I did see is that the IVL disc has a bit more information at the bottom of the screen as opposed to the Vista tape. In the IVL, you can see more of the flames coming out from under the door at Lo's feet.

As far as frame clipping, it is noticeable on a couple of occasions such as when the hero commits suicide after losing to the samurai during the opening and the flashback scene in which Cheng Tien Chi ponders how to escape the ninjas bonds.

Thanks for the banter, Kwok. Your post made me realize at how amazingly different the Vista version is compared with the Celestial print. At one time I thought the Vista tape was quite impressive for pic quality but seeing it now it pales in comparison.:)

As far as frame clipping, it is noticeable on a couple of occasions such as when the hero commits suicide after losing to the samurai during the opening and the flashback scene in which Cheng Tien Chi ponders how to escape the ninjas bonds.

Thanks for the banter, Kwok. Your post made me realize at how amazingly different the Vista version is compared with the Celestial print. At one time I thought the Vista tape was quite impressive for pic quality but seeing it now it pales in comparison.:)

Is it that noticeable in the frame clipping?

What version is this dvd? Is this the vista version?

image.php?productid=16354

All i know is the distro is HKV.

That is the Vista cover and a dupe. I have the Vista VHS and I had it transferred to DVD-R since I don't have a VCR any longer. The frame clipping is noticeable a couple of times but it's just subtle jumps in the music no more so than other releases.

I'm not quite sure what Kwok means by a splice or jump in the scene where Lo is pinned to the door as I compared the two side by side and they played the exact same although the IVL seemed to run for about a second 1/2 longer as well as having more info at the bottom of the screen.

The Vista tape is missing the brief scene that I mentioned in the post on the previous page.

The reason for the rock being destroyed is that it has the Ninja symbol carved into it. Strange ending i must agree although many films of this era stopped suddenly after the villains death, which is what i think Tarantino was referring to at the end of his Death Proof but not many people got the joke!

The reason for the rock being destroyed is that it has the Ninja symbol carved into it. Strange ending i must agree although many films of this era stopped suddenly after the villains death, which is what i think Tarantino was referring to at the end of his Death Proof but not many people got the joke!

Yes, I know that's why they destroy the rock. The purpose of the pics were so you could see Chu Ko accidentally hit Yu Tai Ping in the back of the head as they smashed it.

Archived