Tom Yum Goong / The Protector (US) / Warrior King (UK) (2005)

Guest m burlock

Sure Tom Yum goong is flawed but Jaa is a star and just the amazing starway scene alone makes this movie a must see for me! almost 4 minutes and no cuts, now thats a nice scene.

yXIGP6_fNZk

boring as hell.. awful

just a showcase of his skills

Even as storyline not that great there is LOT more boring indie kung-fu movies where you know exactly happens next and yawn while waiting next fight scene.

Even as storyline not that great there is LOT more boring indie kung-fu movies where you know exactly happens next and yawn while waiting next fight scene.

The story I don't have a problem with it's the execution, hell those old Indys could edit a movie back in the day better, someone was snorting some serious speed when they put this together. The 4 minute scene is the most coherent part, you could cut out half the people they try to shoehorn in this and maybe have a decent movie. The movie definitely has it's moments, but a disappointment for me, such a step back from Ong Bak imo.

It's not that... it was just a showcase (like almost all of yaa's movies).

If i want to see a documentary about martial art i watch that instead of Protector (or Ong Bak 2). Yaa doesnt speak, the story was... :cry:

To me those movies are just a showcase of his skills...good skills but bad movies

It's not that... it was just a showcase (like almost all of yaa's movies).

If i want to see a documentary about martial art i watch that instead of Protector (or Ong Bak 2). Yaa doesnt speak, the story was... :cry:

To me those movies are just a showcase of his skills...good skills but bad movies

Well,let´s face it.There are many martial arts movies with interesting storyline but more often story is just an excuse for fighting...

Story of stolen elephants was silly indeed,When there was no fight in beginning of movie I found those thailocations extremely pleasing to watch(been in that country 7 times) but when tony located himself to aus it got at times bit yawning...in non-action scenes I mean.Even if just showcase,tony jaas skills are awesome and I have re-re-re-watched certain scenes countless times.

He is still very young and if continues making movies I am certain there is even better movie to come starring him.

Well,let´s face it.There are many martial arts movies with interesting storyline but more often story is just an excuse for fighting...

Story of stolen elephants was silly indeed,When there was no fight in beginning of movie I found those thailocations extremely pleasing to watch(been in that country 7 times) but when tony located himself to aus it got at times bit yawning...in non-action scenes I mean.Even if just showcase,tony jaas skills are awesome and I have re-re-re-watched certain scenes countless times.

He is still very young and if continues making movies I am certain there is even better movie to come starring him.

That's true. A lot of martial movies have a story only as an excuse for fighting.. i dont deny that.

I enjoyed Ong Bak 1 , but Protector and Ong Bak 2 were just awful.

The story about the elephant kidnapping was... silly but i wasnt excepted so much about that. But i found myself bored as hell watching those two movies.

Especially OB2, really.. i disliked it.

Protector had some good fight scenes , for ex. the one-shot on the stairs.. but the movie itself didnt catch me.

While I agree the Warrior King aka the protector doesn't compare with Ong Bak it is still a very good martial-arts flick in my opinion. Sure there isn't a lot to the story but then how many films deliver a great story along with lots of strong action and martial-arts?

Personally better this than say for example Flash Point which has too much drama and not enough ass kicking

Personally better this than say for example Flash Point which has too much drama and not enough ass kicking

I prefer Flash Point over this flick everytime. No question about it.

Also Chocolate is far better than Protector and OB2 together..

Also Chocolate is far better than Protector and OB2 together..

Chocolate & OB2 are far better than Flash Point IMHO too. FP's drama is lacking imo which makes the film drag, a few extra fights and maybe I'd feel different.

I like good drama but when you're spoilt by quality US TV drama ( The Shield, Dexter, Califorrnication, Rescue Me, Over There, Deadwood, Sleeper Cell,True Bood etc) the drama HAS to be good. So a good MA flick imo can lower drama quality but raise the action bar, Tony Jaa does that in spades, he's the best in the business right now...Donnie's good rght now, makes better overall films, yet doesn't pack as much punch.

Chocolate & OB2 are far better than Flash Point IMHO too. FP's drama is lacking imo which makes the film drag, a few extra fights and maybe I'd feel different.

I like good drama but when you're spoilt by quality US TV drama ( The Shield, Dexter, Califorrnication, Rescue Me, Over There, Deadwood, Sleeper Cell,True Bood etc) the drama HAS to be good. So a good MA flick imo can lower drama quality but raise the action bar, Tony Jaa does that in spades, he's the best in the business right now...Donnie's good rght now, makes better overall films, yet doesn't pack as much punch.

It's ur opinion.

Flash Point is better than OB2 for me. Everything was better drama,action scenes,story.

Chocolate is far better than OB2 overall imho.

Jaa's flicks didnt catch me... i was bored. A thing that didnt happen with the other two movies i quoted (i watched Flash Point already three times now).

Anyway, it's just my opinion.. u think different? that's good! :angel:

Tex Killer

7itOtepsW9U

I have thai dvd at my wifes house, cannot check now but I think burning temple fight against swordsman looked different in that compared to youtube share...

There are some additional footage and something is missing...I think,,,

Can someone verify to way or other?

The two disc Thai DVD allows you to change camera angles during certain fight scenes. Maybe that's what's different?

Tex Killer
The two disc Thai DVD allows you to change camera angles during certain fight scenes. Maybe that's what's different?

That could be case. I did not know that about thai dvd even as watched it few times. However tony vs wushu broadsword looks better in thai-non-angle-changed than in this youtubeclip, I bet my family jewels on that...

Secret Executioner

Not sure if there's really a comparison to be made, but I'll give my 2 cents on that one when I have watched both. :tongue:

luckystars

This is something I really want to get to the bottom of. The Edko VCD is definitely cut. There were reports the HK DVD of TYG is also cut by 6 seconds. I would like to know exactly what was cut, and is that censored version on the HK Blu, or is the HK Blu-Ray 100% uncut.

Thanks! :)

P.S. Does anyone have a contact for ChenLung? Inbox me

So this may be the dumbest post I ever make but hear me out lol. 

So I first saw Tony Jaa's the protector on Amazon instant video a few years ago. It was the American cut. A year later I bought the u.s Blu-ray which has the Thai cut and the U.S cut. So I remember a character in the Amazon instant video version who was Tony Jaa's friend in the movie. He lived in the same village in the begining and he gets kidnaped and later on coming to find out is responsible for his elephant getting stolen.

The problem is I can't find any scenes with this character online or anywhere! It was in the Amazon video version but not in my Blu-ray. My brother also vividly remembers the character. I know I am not delusional ,so does anyone else remember this character? I can't even find a summary online that mentions the character. Is this the Mandella effect? Or am I just not researching hard enough?

One Armed Boxer
50 minutes ago, chenzen said:

So this may be the dumbest post I ever make but hear me out lol. 

So I first saw Tony Jaa's the protector on Amazon instant video a few years ago. It was the American cut. A year later I bought the u.s Blu-ray which has the Thai cut and the U.S cut. So I remember a character in the Amazon instant video version who was Tony Jaa's friend in the movie. He lived in the same village in the begining and he gets kidnaped and later on coming to find out is responsible for his elephant getting stolen.

The problem is I can't find any scenes with this character online or anywhere! It was in the Amazon video version but not in my Blu-ray. My brother also vividly remembers the character. I know I am not delusional ,so does anyone else remember this character? I can't even find a summary online that mentions the character. Is this the Mandella effect? Or am I just not researching hard enough?

Hi @chenzen...I've seen both the original version and the US version as well, and can confirm there's definitely no additional character from Jaa's village that gets kidnapped.  Could you be mixing it up with the sequel?  (I've also seen this one, but it was so bad I blocked it from my memory)

16 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Hi @chenzen...I've seen both the original version and the US version as well, and can confirm there's definitely no additional character from Jaa's village that gets kidnapped.  Could you be mixing it up with the sequel?  (I've also seen this one, but it was so bad I blocked it from my memory)

I think OAB is right, definitely no such scene in the original but in the sequel there is a guy in the village at the start that Jaa interacts with demonstrating some crappy inventions he's come up with that then appears later in the movie and the suggestion is that he was bribed or forced in some way to assist the bad guys. Like a lot of plot points in those movies it's not really explored very well so it's quite vague in what way he was helping the baddies and why.

Weird I always thought he was in the first one lol I guess I did get it mixed up with the the second one. It's so weird though I swore that guy was in the first one I watched. Thank you guys for helping me remember properly lol( I have also only seen part 2 once)

Edited by chenzen

Cognoscente
On 8/5/2006 at 8:13 AM, Guest killer meteor said:

I don't see why Chow didn't make a bio-pic of his own, perhaps casting an up and coming like Yuen Biao, than including the GOD sequence as the finale, like what they did with Warrior's Journey.

I thought about this, but I recently learned that the dismal box office gross of Bruce Lee: The Man and the Legend informed Chow that there wasn't really a big enough audience for Bruce's life story...at least not in Hong Kong.

It's interesting to note that Linda's attempt to do her own biopic with Robert Clouse happened around the same time that she was trying to get what was rightfully owed to her by Chow.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
On 6/28/2022 at 12:07 AM, Cognoscente said:

I thought about this, but I recently learned that the dismal box office gross of Bruce Lee: The Man and the Legend informed Chow that there wasn't really a big enough audience for Bruce's life story...at least not in Hong Kong.

It's interesting to note that Linda's attempt to do her own biopic with Robert Clouse happened around the same time that she was trying to get what was rightfully owed to her by Chow.

Even Enter the Dragon performed "eh" in HK.

• Like 2