Attack of the Joyful Goddess (1983)

Guest Hermeskungfu

Guest Hermeskungfu

I just got this film as Attack of the Venoms on a double bill with Men on the Hour from Kung Fu Theatre. One of Cheng Cheh's last films (1983) and not made at Shaw's though he had Chiang Sheng, Lu Feng and Chin Tien Shi in it - with Robert Tai doing the action. To say it is pretty weird is an understatement but when I was researching it I came across:

http://www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/directors/03/chang.html

and a good filmography (though not complete)

http://changcheh.0catch.com/chchfilm.htm

of this great director.

These seem worth recording here, apologies if they are already well known.

Guest will91XingYu

Yhe this film is realy wierd! I really liked Ricky Cheng in it and Lee Chung Yat was a good find of Chang Cheh but was only in about 3 films. The end fight is pretty good but it could have been scarier i though, is it a lot like 9 Demons?

Guest Hermeskungfu

Just a quick further note. When I posted the final fight on YouTube I had several comments along the lines of WTF is going on. I notice Mark here has a good review but just to point people towards:

http://www.illuminatedlantern.com/cinema/review/archives/attack_of_the_joyful_goddess.php

which explains a lot of the background / mythology involved. By the way my copy was actually called Attack of the Venoms, a stupidly exploitative title not even listed on IMDBG.

This was a movie I bought around '98 on VHS, and I loved it. I liked the fights and the opera scenes, although the plots and the characters I did not like. It's one of mmy favorite dumb movies.

Just curious about others thougts on this movie,

I rented it years back and couldn't watch it except on fast forward. A real embarrassment for all involved, IMO. I remember what few fights there were were okay.

gravedigger666

I had HK tape in past and gave up after 15-20 mins,back then I thought it`s unwatchable garbage.If it comes across in 2nd hand shop I will give it another try.

I actually paid $35.00 dollars for this movie, only movie I ever paid more than 19.99 for. Can't explain why, but I just had to have it.

I know it isn't saying much but I enjoyed NINE DEMONS more than this movie. At least that one had nearly nonstop chaotic weirdness throughout even though it gets so searingly awful to watch at times.

5 Venoms vs. WuTang is up there too. I wonder a lot of times how Lu Feng and Chiang Sheng got stuck doing these roles, lol. Two of the most talented performers i've ever seen.

When they went back to Taiwan they were expecting to get some good roles since Chang's films were popular there. Only the good roles didn't come instead they seemingly toiled away in cheap MIRACLE FIGHTERS and MR. VAMPIRE clones as well as being reunited with Robert Tai on some films.

ironfistedmonk

This was one tough movie to sit through, I'm surprised I managed it! I'm glad you liked it after paying $35 for it!

Well Whamsabi, it's brutal to sit through. There is only one fight and it's the end fight. It's not shot well and not muchto it. The movie is, man, come on Shelly. Come on.

Chu Liu Hsiang

I had been utterly confused by the movie, and put it aside to rewatch, with the hope of then partway understanding what's going on. After reading this and the other linked review, it now all makes sense (in the way this kind of movie can make sense), so thank you!

Is the Joyful Goddess a real mythical figure or invented for the movie? Can someone point me towards more Opera-related beliefs/superstitions/rituals?

Edited by Chu Liu Hsiang
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

Can someone point me towards more Opera-related beliefs/superstitions/rituals?

I don't remember to have watched this movie, and if I did, i don't remember a single line of the plot, so, I don't know if my answer will fit your question, but maybe you could try Stage Door Johnny, that takes place inside an opera troupe for most of the movie.

And if you don't have it, it seems to me that I have a double...

• Like 3

DragonClaws
On 3/17/2021 at 10:55 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

I recently got through giving this one a first time watch (seemingly 14 years after most other people) and gave it the full review treatment over at COF. Check it out below - 

https://cityonfire.com/attack-of-the-joyful-goddess-1983-review-chang-cheh/

Great review @One Armed Boxer, and I also enjoyed your Eagle VS Silver Fox write-up. Five Element Ninja is the only 80's Chang Cheh flick I've seen, will have to seek out some of his other post 1980 work.

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang
On 3/18/2021 at 7:41 PM, ShawAngela said:

And if you don't have it, it seems to me that I have a double...

Sent you a pm :) 

• Like 1

ShawAngela

Ok, I managed to get Attack of the Joyful Goddess and I just finished to watch it.

Well, I must say that I'm a little bit disappointed by the movie. The cover says "strong violence", but there aren't so many fights in it, except the ending one.

Also, it's a shame that Lee Chung Yat didn't have more to do in this movie ! He doesn't havea single fight, he disappears from most of the movie and is only seen from time to time ! 

I didn't like Chiang Sheng's role,...The most interesting actor was Cheng Tien Chi, here, but he didn't have much to do either in the movie.

The ending fight was a little bit confusing : in addition to Lee Chung Yat's ghost, if I understood well, there was alos Chiang Sheng's ghost who helped his partners. The action was so quick that it was difficult to see the actors' faces.

I guess that I'll keep my dvd to complete my Chang Cheh's collection, but I wonder if I'll watch this movie again.

• Like 3