Guest WhiteTiger1

YOUR FAVORITE VENOM  

2 members have voted

1. 1. YOUR FAVORITE VENOM

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Endsang

As for character and kung fu, I think centipede (Lu Feng) was my favourite. I really liked scorpion (Sun Chien) at the end. It was so cool when he just stood there smiling while the rest were fighting, and you never really knew which side he was on or what he was going to do.

1 - Snake

2 - Toad

3/4 - Lizard/Scorpion

5(/6) - Centipede(/the 6th student)

Or maybe it would be 2/3 for Toad and Scorpion and 4 for Lizard, but I am quite constant about Snake...

Guest Chinatown Kid

Being a TKD guy, I'm a fan of kickers so have to say my favorite is Sun Chien the Scorpion, also liked the quickness of the Centipede and the power of the Toad. This is how I would rank them in order of favorite to least favorite:

1. Scorpion

2. Centipede

3. Toad

4. Snake

5. Lizard

Kuo Chui is usually the best all around Venom but for some reason he just looked rather dull in the fight scenes of 5 Venoms, to me his fights looked much better in Kid with the Golden Arm......

Guest Endsang

In my opinion, Chiang Sheng was the most overrated one in the bunch.

His kung fu fighting skills just didn't look credible to me, and he was flipping around way too much.

He had some nice moves in Two Champions of Shaolin, but other than that he just didn't do it for me.

Sorry to say, but that's just my opinion. May he rest in peace.

Guest Iron_Jinon

toad of course..too bad he does not make it to the end(ok I know it is taiwan opera stuff,lu feng,kuo chui and chiang shengs timing and skills suit better)

Kwok Choy (Sorry I can't remember who he played as I'm not a fan of this film)

Well, I suppose this poll is just about this film - otherwise I'd expect Chiang Sheng among the nominees.

Anyway - if you feel like giving a vote to your fave guy, cast a vote for Lizard...;-)

It's a crying shame Lo Mang's Toad doesn't make it to the end, it was weird how they killed him to, sufficating him like that, I remember thinking he wasn't dead, maybe he was just hibernating like a toad, coming back at the end, there's my alternative ending for you:rolleyes:

That totally unheroic death really made some emotional impact didn't it...;-)

Sure - it prevented Lo Meng from engaging in more fights and generally being on-screen, which of course is a pity - but story-wise, it was purr-fect.

Sure I'm not the only one who loves to watch their heroes die...;-)

And Lo Meng made such a great victim.

Making it to the final fight is fine, but there's more to a movie than a final fight, right...? :-)

Guest Iron_Jinon
That totally unheroic death really made some emotional impact didn't it...;-)

Sure - it prevented Lo Meng from engaging in more fights and generally being on-screen, which of course is a pity - but story-wise, it was purr-fect.

Sure I'm not the only one who loves to watch their heroes die...;-)

And Lo Meng made such a great victim.

Making it to the final fight is fine, but there's more to a movie than a final fight, right...? :-)

sure...injustice made to toad so extreme and thing wang lung wei(only nonfight role I have seen are there others?) got away gives it kinda down to earth feel though.maybe that is one reasons why 5 deadly venoms is such classic.snake and scorpio turns against others in the end good also.

Guest Iron_Jinon
Lo Meng was awesome as the Toad.

absolutely...only Bolo or Kam Kong could have replaced his role convincingly as almost invulnerable master of iron skin.but lo meng is better screen character:)

Lo Mang was very convincing as an unarmed fighter. His Mantis Fists and Golden Arm techniques are worth multiple viewings.

One thing, why was his character always one who died early on?

I never understood that. Chang Cheh must have thought of him as all

brawn and no brain. I think I do remember something about him being clumsy... :D

Poor Snake, never gets any love...

Nevermind...

As for Lo Meng - I think Chang Cheh must have seen something in him that made him an ideal victim. Some guys make better victims than others. Partly it was that "all brawn no brain" thing, I guess.

But I think that Lo Meng's sort of "good-natured" charm may be partly responsible. Even when he played Golden Arm, he looked like the kind of guy you'd like to drink a few beers with. And then there's this badass impression of a larger-than-life figure he gives on screen... All that usually makes his passing wonderfully dramatic.

If there was a Venom who could be killed off early on and still make a profound and lasting emotional and dramatic impact, it was definitely Lo Meng.

Or maybe it just worked so well in 5DV, that CC simply stuck to the formula...:D

Guest Endsang

In my opinion, the snake doesn't deserve all the bad rep, although it is in a way understandable. Wei Pak is by no means a bad performer or martial artist, but he never really fit in with the Venoms and looked a bit displaced. I think he could have had alot more success and fans if he did more movies like Last Hurrah For Chivalry, instead of trying to roll with the venoms mob. And although he had small parts, I enjoyed his presence in Young Master and Magnificent Butcher. He fit alot better in at those kind of movies instead of the Shaw epics.

Archived