Rare Movies

Guest rederror

Guest Drunken Monk
I've seen all the fights, and they are really really good. Lu Feng and Chiang Sheng have comedy roles but get to show off their skills a fair bit, but Peter Cheng (Method Man) is incredible in this and so is the other guy i think it could be Tung Hwa Chung (Crane Fighters, Nine Demons) but i'm not sure. If you could find this cheap i'd say get it.

I remember and old VHS copy doing the rounds many years ago but I never got my hands on it. I always prayed for a DVD release.

Guest will91XingYu

The only dvd you can get is a double bill with an low budget us martial arts film from the 80's. If you are interested in Fight Among the Supers you may want to watch Attack of the Joyfull Goddess, it stars Ricky Cheng, Chris Lee, Lee Chung Yat, Lu Feng and Chiang Sheng also Chin Lung is in the ned fight as well, it's ok, the ned fight is pretty good it was done by the venoms and Robert Tai.

Speaking of Robert Tai, in the interview he did for Toby Russel's RARESCOPE release of Along Comes a Tiger, he looks like he's working in a damn chinese restaurant.

And do you wanna hear something really sad, I heard the same about master choreographer Tommy Lee. Ended up in some cheap Chinese takeout place :(

How sad.

Guest Jesse Smooth
And do you wanna hear something really sad, I heard the same about master choreographer Tommy Lee. Ended up in some cheap Chinese takeout place

I once read that he ran a kung fu school in New York that had failed and then got a job at a Chinese resturant in Texas.

Guest teako170
I hope they release Monkey Goes West from the mainland crew of Chang Cheh. That looks like one rare film!

Toby mentioned earlier this year that he bought a package of CC's films from his estate; which is handled by Lawrence Wong Ka-Hee.

He picked up Shanghai 1937 (but not a master), Monkey Goes West, Slaughter in Xian, and Across The River. He was unable to acquire Hidden Hero as they didn't have a print or master. The negs for all these later CC's films are still on the mainland.

Guest teako170
Thanks, i saw they released Across the River, there's a film just released called Monkey Wars from the 80's could this be the same film?

Only thing I can think of was an Angelo Mao film called New Pilgrims To The West which was done in early 80s.

Ya know, I've pretty much seen all the flicks from RARESCOPE that I've been wanting to see, except Choy Lee Fat Kung Fu. Looks good and from the promo reel it seems to have a relatively nice print as well, especially compared to budget releases.

Has anyone seen it! :(

Guest Morgoth

I liked it. It is a major upgrade from the Groundzero version. Cliff Lok and Phillip Ko are good in it, and the beautiful Yeung Pan Pan is my favorite part of the movie. She lights up the screen with her first fight scene.

I liked it. It is a major upgrade from the Groundzero version. Cliff Lok and Phillip Ko are good in it, and the beautiful Yeung Pan Pan is my favorite part of the movie. She lights up the screen with her first fight scene.

So it's looks good, I'm pretty vain when it comes to video quality. I know it's widescreen, but is it above VHS quality or the pile of gangster shit Wu Tang DVDs?

5 Element Boxer

I actually just rented Choi Lee Fat Kung Fu off of Netflix recently. It was the RARESCOPE release, and I was pretty impressed with the picure and sound quality. But I especially liked the interview with, and demonstration by Cliff Lok in the special features. It's definitely a "buy".

Guest TheManInWhite

"I actually just rented Choi Lee Fat Kung Fu off of Netflix recently."

That's in my queue for my next set of movies to be delivered. I can't wait to see a better copy of this! Coming in my mailbox today is Magnificent Butcher. :D

This is kind of a technical review, and it's relatively short so I'm not gonna put it in the review section! So yesterday I went to Suncoast and picked up 4 DVDs! One being Showdown at the Cotton Mill, a title some of you have suggested. I gotta say though, the print was dissapointing. The one thing that stood out though, was the remarkably low amount of dirt on the print.

But, the singular thing that ticked me off the most was how washed out the colors looked. If I hadn't known better I might think this movie was from the 50s! (Well maybe not that old!) But the colors were so washed out and contrast so high, that it looked almost sepia toned. I will say that it's watchable, but the thing that will tick people off the most are he overly pale colors, it makes it impossible to read the subtitles at times. But there was one stroke of luck, the best kept and cleanest scene in the film was the finale! Thank god for this, because it is a great one!

I enjoyed the movie alot and was extremely impressed by the high production values and climactic finish. I was expecting something a little more low-budget, so that was a treat as well. :D

cf9djx8.jpg

In the end, if I ever worry about the quality of a print all I have to do is compare it to a Wu Tang Clan or Crash Cinema released and I'll be fine! HA HA! :cool:

Rarescope's release of Showdown at the Cotton Mill was something special and the furor that surronded its release was deserved as before Rarescope put it out the movie was SUPER RARE!! The only other print that was in circulation amongst collectors makes Rarescope's release look like a Celestial remastered DVD!!

Rarescope's release of Showdown at the Cotton Mill was something special and the furor that surronded its release was deserved as before Rarescope put it out the movie was SUPER RARE!! The only other print that was in circulation amongst collectors makes Rarescope's release look like a Celestial remastered DVD!!

I agree, what's interesting is that there are alot of bonuses with this DVD! I have never thought of Rarescope as being a budget label, but this is quite impressive. A promo choreographed by Robert Tai, an interview with both stars pertaining to the film, and even a mini reproduction poster on the inside of the case! They must've gotten found more promotional material along with the film's original print in that "vault in Taiwan" :D

What are everyone's thoughts on the Rarescope release of Dream Sword and A Sword Named Revenge? I'm happy with both of these although I'm surprised that A Sword Named Revenge doesn't have the Mandarin soundtrack - only a (very, very bad) English dub - strange since the print has burned-in subs. Also, I didn't realize that Nora Miao and Doris Lung were in Dream Sword - although Doris Lung's role is not what you expect it to be.

Both titles have the expected print damage and that doesn't bother me considering how rare these are - I just wish the Rarescope releases were encoded to DVD a bit better - they almost always seem to have all sorts of digital issues. Still, like all Rarescope releases, this DVD is definitely worth purchasing, especially if you're a fan of similar Taiwanese films.

Now, if Rarescope would just release Miraculous Flower and the Pearl Cheung version of Burning of the Red Lotus Monastery...

Kudos to Rarescope for releasing Betty Loh Ti's swordplay Duel At The Supreme Gate. This one is super rare too.

By the way, is Elimination Pursuit worth picking up despite the print damage?

I'd say it's worth buying, it's widescreen so you're already guaranteed that the print is better than most budget releases! And it comes with several bonus fight sequences as special features. Morgoth wrote a lengthy review for it on Amazon, it'll give a little more insight as to the DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/Rarescope-Elimination-Roc-Tien-Peng/dp/B000L43PAC

By the way, nice job Morgoth!