Period versus Modern

Guest Hermeskungfu

Righteous Master

Classic period films are the best! There is just something special about them. I have tried to get into modern MA films, but they just don't do it for me. However there have been some good modern made period pieces. My favorite modern period films are Fearless and Fist of Legend.

I think there are good modern MA films, some of which have already been mentioned. We're never going to see the same quantity of them, though, like there was in the 60's and 70's. There aren't any large studios with a stable of MA talent to draw from anymore, plus "straight" MA films tend to go right to DVD as the market for it is perceived to be diminished.

It's also hard to have that troupe of actors, directors, action choreographers, etc, that are always going to be on top of their MA game, because it's just friggin hard to! We have some occasional breakthrough stars like Tony Jaa, etc., but a lot of talent is either getting older or is still underground (i.e. the plethora of independent stunt crews making short films). The period pieces now are your CTHD or Fearless movies, which have an audience draw but aren't "old school" per se. Kung fu movies are like Westerns; they're about a particular cultural idiom in a certain place and time frame. And there are only so many stories you can do with that. However, westerns are making a comeback....

Graeme Noble

I think the very best of modern is maybe better than the best of old school however there is a lot of modern trash out there and I do like Sammo and LKL old school flicks, and you can't beat shape-fests with people such as Phillip Ko and Wang Lung Wei :)

Cognoscente
On 11/6/2007 at 11:46 PM, Guest Hermeskungfu said:

Okay I know this is like comparing Cheese and Onion to Salt n' Vinegar crisps.

Classic one-liner!

I prefer period because there's no self-conscious excuse or lapse of logic as to justify why there are no guns. Also, I love how not a single writer or director in the period genre seems to be concerned about having police characters turn up to break up the fight or make an arrest after the fact.

• Like 2