Help me find more Karate movies

Alex

I absolutely love this genre, unfortunately the titles available are very limited. So far I have all of the chiba and sue shiomi ones, where do I go from here?

What I have now:

The street figher series

The Mas Oyama trilogy

Killing Machine

Karate Warriors

Executioner 1 & 2

Sister Streefighter series

Dragon Princess

The Defensive Power of Aikido

The Bodyguard

What else is out there? This genre seems to be kinda rare on dvd/vhs aside from the Chiba stuff, i've had trouble tracking down anything outside of those listed. I know there's got to be some Kurata stuff or something

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest daisho2004

Alex I would read some of the reviews that are posted at the top of the page and you can get an idea of what you may like and then, I'm sure we can point you in the right direction, because there are so many movies out there that are great. But are you looking for more Modern Action movies or Samurai/Ninja type movies?

Alex I would read some of the reviews that are posted at the top of the page and you can get an idea of what you may like and then, I'm sure we can point you in the right direction, because there are so many movies out there that are great. But are you looking for more Modern Action movies or Samurai/Ninja type movies?

Daisho, what i mean is movies specifically focusing on Karate and maybe other hand to hand forms of Martial Arts (aikido or judo for example), like those listed in my original post. Not ninja chambara ala Lone Wold and Cub or Shogun's Ninja, not jidaigeki ala 7 Samurai, not Yakuza ala Zatoichi/Battles Without Honor.... All those other subgenres I have pretty well covered. The time period does not matter, but I've noticed that all of the ones I found so far take place in the second part of the 20th century.

For example I've been trying unsuccessfully to find some information on a series called the Karate (or something to that effect) with Bronson Lee. I have found a copy on amazon for 1 cent, but supposedly the VHS is badly cut and the print is terrible. Can anybody give me some info on this?

Guest Chinatown Kid

Let me warn you Alex, I bought that vhs of Bronson Lee:Champion off one of the amazon sellers and when i watched it, it was horrible. The fight scenes were terribly choreographed and the movie really cheesy. Now I know why it went for only 1 cent! :rolleyes:

Guest daisho2004

OK I got you Alex, I wasn't sure what you were looking for, as far as Japanese movies Chiba really got that covered already, but the Korean movies that have been put out lately have some great Action scenes.

Try "Fighter in the Wind" very good movie and its a true story.

synopsis:

The year is 1941 and Choi Bae Dal (Yang Dong Geun) is but a student in South Korea. After seeing an advertisement for an opportunity to learn to fly and go to college if people join the Japanese army, Bae Dal is off to Japan. But once he joins and completes the training, the Japanese Imperial Army only enlists Korean pilots for kamikaze missions. Refusing to take part, Bae Dal and the Korean soldiers are charged with treason and sentenced to death. But Japanese General Kato (Masaya Kato), and lead karate instructor, offers Bae Dal and the men a chance - defeat him in battle and he will only kill Bae Dal and let the men live; lose and everyone dies. Obviously, the greenhorn Bae Dal is beaten to a pulp by Japan's greatest martial artist.

Bae Dal is shamefully defeated and earns Kato's scorn. He leaves the army and takes refuge in a small village. One day, he runs into trouble with some local Yakuzas, but is saved by another Korean - Bum Su (Jeong Du Hong). A friend of his father's and a talented martial artist, Bum Su is now a crippled old man after his left hand is chopped off by the Yakuzas. Bae Dal begs Bum Su to take him as his student and after much hesitation, Bum Su finally takes him on. Bum Su offers Bae Dal a copy of Musashi Miyamoto's "Book of Five Rings," a martial arts book detailing techniques on how to fight and survive.

But not long after Bae Dal meets up with Bum Su, the Yakuzas return for vengeance and this time, kills Bum Su. Determined to not let his master down and truly learning "the art of fighting," Bae Dal commits himself with rigorous training in the mountains and learning the Book of Five Rings. After several years in seclusion, Bae Dal returns to society with one simple goal in mind - defeat and dethrone every single martial arts school in Japan!

Guest ToothbrushFu

There's a new karate movie that came out recently in Japan - last month I think - called Kuro-Obi (Black Belt). Website here, and it also has a trailer. Looks quite interesting, I've seen a couple of decent reviews.

Thanks guys, but i've heard of both of those :). I own Fighter in the Wind actually, love that one(needs a little more Du Hong but that's a minor gripe). Looking forward to checking out Black Belt.

I'm actually more interested in films that were made in Japan in the 70's, i'm a big fan of that sleazy artsty exploitation vibe they did so well back then. It seems though that Chiba and the J.A.C. had the monopoly on those.

Anybody ever heard of a movie named Karate or the Tiger, with Yusaku Kurata?

Guest Morgoth

Tiger vs Dragon? I havent seen that movie in a long time but I remember the final fight between Kurata and Chen Sing is super long.

Guest Yakuza954

You must be talking about Which is Stronger, Karate or Tiger (one of the more unique titles out theres). Tiger vs Dragon is a different film but both get confused a lot because of the similar titles and actors. Anyway, Karate or Tiger is a decent enough movie. Its cool to see Kurata in a lead role in a Japanese karate film. It was made in the early 70's so expect choreography from that era. I'd definitely recommend it if you like Kurata and Japanese martial arts films.

btw, I remember these huge Japanese characters showing up on the screen whenever someone used a special move. This is either really cool or really annoying depending on how you look at it.

A few years ago, I saw two Japanese Karate films called "New Karate Baka Ichidai". The films starred Masaru Nagai (The Red Timeranger) as Jotaro Kitano, a karate expert who in the first film, competes in a tournament and in the second film, learns the meaning of martial arts by sparring with a judo expert and in the end, a MMA-like fighter, played by pro wrestler Keiji "The Great Muta/Shining Wizard" Muto.

I want to see Kane Kosugi's "Fighting King" (Za Kakuto-Oh) karate movies that Sho Kosugi directed back in 1992. Yasuaki Kurata appeared in I think the first film.

Albert any idea where I can find the two films you mentioned

Karate or Tiger sounds right up my alley, i really liek the thing with the character showing up on screen

I had bought the "New Karata Baka Ichidai" films when I was living in New York at a Book-Off store, but I sold them back cuz money was tight.

As for "The Fighting King", I have no idea where it is available as of yet. It would be nice to see those films.

Archived