Best superkicker

Guest will91XingYu

Chinatown Kid

You know, Ken Lo's performance in the finale of Drunken Master 2 was awesome and from that one preformance he became a superkicker in my book. The funny thing is he never seemed to rise to this level in any other film I saw him in, I wonder why?

• Like 1

Perhaps he was never given the same opportunity as in DM2. It's kind of interesting how a martial arts actor can have multiple talents you'll never see because they have to stick with a character script and choreography. Especially when it comes villains, as they rarely outshine the good guy.

Check out Wang Li in some venoms flicks for instance. He is an amazing acrobat, but rarely get to show it off when fighting with or next to Kuo Chui/Chiang Sheng/Lu Feng, because it's mainly their limelight. Just from his very short fight in Shaolin Rescuers, you can see what this guy truly is capable of. Not complaining though, but it seems like there are several other actors as well who has to downplay their action performance due to their part in the movie.

Chinatown Kid

Kuo Chui really had some great kicks, he matched Sun Chien in the finale of KWTGA kick for kick, his kicking skills were never really exploited enough because of doing the acrobatic routine with his co-stars so much imo.

Has anyone mentioned Fu Sheng? Hmmmmm....this is a mixed bag but I would like to admit that overall he ain't bad in the kicking department.

Good point Kwok Choi. He did a have a pretty good split kick like the one he executed in Chinatown Kid.

I thought of another name. Tatsuya Matsui is a pretty good kicker. He showed some nice kicks in Lucky Stars Go Places and also played the main heavy in Michelle Yeoh's Magnificent Warriors. Last I heard he was working in the Philippines.

Stephen Chow is another good kicker. Sure Kung Fu Hustle may have had the wirework, but seeing Fist of Fury 1991 and Fight Back to School, Stephen's a pretty good kicker himself, can be pretty flexible but definitely has a nice round kick.

Chinatown Kid

How about Wilson Tong as the Foot Doctor in The Victim? He wasn't much of a high kicker but his low kicks and footwork were outta sight!

How about Wilson Tong as the Foot Doctor in The Victim? He wasn't much of a high kicker but his low kicks and footwork were outta sight!

Yeah, good call on that one, amazing footwork in that movie by Tong!!

Yeah AlbertV I was thinking of Stephen Chow as well sans the major wire work and would admit his kicks were cool in King Of Beggars

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Who's the guy playing the thai kicker in Master Of The Flying Guillotine? That guy was really very good. I think I've seen him in other films but I'm not too sure.

Yeah, I liked Sham's fight scene in Secret Rivals Part II. He played the youngest brother of Wang Tao's character from the original.

OK everyone...Now I'm going to add in my 2 cents...but, first let's look at how to judge a great kicker:

A. Extension: This is largely self explanitory. The kicker should have good flexibility and extension in his/her kicks

B. Power/Strength: To the kicks seem devastating? Do they look like they hurt?

C. Accuracy/control. Do the kicks hit their targets? Can the stylist consitently reproduce crisp and sound techniques?

D. Variety: Does the Kicker rely on just a few good kicks or does s/he have a wide arsenal of moves?

E. Integration: Can and does the kicker effectively unite his/her kicking techniques with other techniques such as hand and/or weapon techniques?

F. Speed

G. Smoothness

H. Consistency: Can the stylist reliably reproduce excellent techniques?

I. Explosiveness

J. Telegraphing: Does the stylist give away his intentions to kick by moving his body in a way giving what king of kick is coming?

Now...while I agree with most of the nominees I've seen thus far, let me add a few more:

1. Chui Jing-Yat. One of the most overlooked kickers out there. His flexibility, smoothness, integration and kicking variety is some of the best out there. He is one of the best.

2. Hsia Kuang Li. The only issue I have with her is consistency. However, her flexibility is maybe the best out there...her explosiveness is excellent...her variety is excellent...heck...you saw the leg fighters!

3. Sit Chi Lin. Excellent variety and control...I want to see more of her...

4. James Lew. Haven't seen much of him but, what I have seen was excellent.

5. Chia Ling and Jackie Chan: These are special cases. These two were so good at all other skills (weapons, hand techniques, acrobatics, etc.) that they normally didn't rely on great kicks...when they did kick however, they were excellent. They integrated their kicks with other movements to the point they came off as just "balanced" stylists. While not the best, I do believe had they wanted to, they could have been top boot masters.

Now, I'll comment on some of the already mentioned stylists and points.

Basically Wong Cheng Li/Huang Jang Lee is the best kicker out there. The guy was instructor to Korean special forces and the WTF judged him as the world's best kicker. When squared off against other top kickers who at first seem to be good competition, he always shows himself to be the better kicker by a noticeable margin (e.g. HJL vs. Kwong Young Moon or HJL vs. Liu Chung Liang). What makes HJL the top kicker he is however is his amazing ability at jump kicking. No telegraphing, speed, power and variety.

Donnie Yen is one of the best kickers ever to grace the screen. His kick faking skill and speed has not been seen since the likes of Bruce Lee. His variety is virtually unmatched. Throw in frightening power, integration and explosiveness and you have arguably the best kicker around.

Tan Tao Liang-if you watch him closely-really only uses about 3 kicks. The thing is that he uses them in a myriad of combinations and with a precision that is pretty much unmatched. He makes it seem like he uses hundreds of kicks when his variety is actually not that high. He is better than Liu chung Liang though who was his student.

Han Ying is one of the best kickers period. His variety is nearly unmatched and is another kicker I often compare to HJL. He integrates his kicks with other techniques very well and unlike some of the other leg fighters mentioned, can go for extended amounts of time without even using leg techniques and not seem awkward.

Some more of my favorites:

Phillip Cheung

Elton Chong

Wong Lung

Natassia Chan

Billy Chong

Kieth Cooke

Cynthia Rothrock

Whang Ing Sik

Ka Sa Fa

Tiger Yang

Bruce Liang

Lo Jui

• Like 1

OK everyone...Now I'm going to add in my 2 cents...but, first let's look at how to judge a great kicker:

A. Extension: This is largely self explanitory. The kicker should have good flexibility and extension in his/her kicks

B. Power/Strength: To the kicks seem devastating? Do they look like they hurt?

C. Accuracy/control. Do the kicks hit their targets? Can the stylist consitently reproduce crisp and sound techniques?

D. Variety: Does the Kicker rely on just a few good kicks or does s/he have a wide arsenal of moves?

E. Integration: Can and does the kicker effectively unite his/her kicking techniques with other techniques such as hand and/or weapon techniques?

F. Speed

G. Smoothness

H. Consistency: Can the stylist reliably reproduce excellent techniques?

I. Explosiveness

J. Telegraphing: Does the stylist give away his intentions to kick by moving his body in a way giving away what kind of kick is coming?

Now...while I agree with most of the nominees I've seen thus far, let me add a few more:

1. Chui Jing-Yat. One of the most overlooked kickers out there. His flexibility, smoothness, integration and kicking variety is some of the best out there. He is one of the best.

2. Hsia Kuang Li. The only issue I have with her is consistency. However, her flexibility is maybe the best out there...her explosiveness is excellent...her variety is excellent...heck...you saw the leg fighters!

3. Sit Chi Lin. Excellent variety and control...I want to see more of her...

4. James Lew. Haven't seen much of him but, what I have seen was excellent.

5. Chia Ling and Jackie Chan: These are special cases. These two were so good at all other skills (weapons, hand techniques, acrobatics, etc.) that they normally didn't rely on great kicks...when they did kick however, they were excellent. They integrated their kicks with other movements to the point they came off as just "balanced" stylists. While not the best, I do believe had they wanted to, they could have been top boot masters.

Now, I'll comment on some of the already mentioned stylists and points.

Basically Wong Cheng Li/Huang Jang Lee is the best kicker out there. The guy was instructor to Korean special forces and the WTF judged him as the world's best kicker. When squared off against other top kickers who at first seem to be good competition, he always shows himself to be the better kicker by a noticeable margin (e.g. HJL vs. Kwong Young Moon or HJL vs. Liu Chung Liang). What makes HJL the top kicker he is however is his amazing ability at jump kicking. No telegraphing, speed, power and variety.

Donnie Yen is one of the best kickers ever to grace the screen. His kick faking skill and speed has not been seen since the likes of Bruce Lee. His variety is virtually unmatched. Throw in frightening power, integration and explosiveness and you have arguably the best kicker around.

Tan Tao Liang-if you watch him closely-really only uses about 3 kicks. The thing is that he uses them in a myriad of combinations and with a precision that is pretty much unmatched. He makes it seem like he uses hundreds of kicks when his variety is actually not that high. He is better than Liu chung Liang though who was his student.

Han Ying is one of the best kickers period. His variety is nearly unmatched and is another kicker I often compare to HJL. He integrates his kicks with other techniques very well and unlike some of the other leg fighters mentioned, can go for extended amounts of time without even using leg techniques and not seem awkward.

Some more of my favorites:

Phillip Cheung

Elton Chong

Wong Lung

Natassia Chan

Billy Chong

Kieth Cooke

Cynthia Rothrock

Whang Ing Sik

Ka Sa Fa

Tiger Yang

Bruce Liang

Lo Jui

Morgoth Bauglir

Eagle Han is one of my favorite kickers, but I just don't get that feeling that he can do anything with those legs. That's the way I feel when watching Hwang Jang Lee. It's like he can do anything. he repeats a lot of kicks, but he seems to always be pulling out something new. Eagle Han though is a great kicker. no doubt about it.

I don't think Chang Yi Tao has been mentioned. He puts in some great work in Inheritor of Kung Fu-

LyyUjcJ52RE

EDIT- my bad, I just noticed you mentioned Chang Yi Tao aka Phillip Cheung aka Bruce Lai:p

• Like 1

It's true Tan Tao Liang doesn't do a wide variety of kicks but what he does do is of high quality with awesome form and he's also famous for the hopping kicks without putting his leg back down like Bill Wallace is famous for. Tan mostly throws a sidekick, roundhouse, hook, and spinning hook but does throw front kicks occasionally as well. Sun Chien is another that doesn't trow a wide variety but what he does is of high quality. Casanova has some of the most powerful looking kicks, his spinning crescent kick is the best in the business imo. The chick from the Leg Fighters has awesome flexibility but looks like she's lacking in the power department. HJL is widely considered the best not only because of his variety and power but also his ability to use both right and left legs equally well where as people like Tan(left) and John Liu(right) tend to favor one leg over another. I'm not familiar with Chui Jing-Yat, what was he in? Being a TKD stylist I love all the kickers though! :)

Is this about who's best onscreen, or who's Martial prowess is best displayed? Sometimes, it may come down to a choreographers demands from the artist hired. For instance, Ho Chung Tao looks horrible in a great number of films, then in a few others, (The Last Strike, Bruce Lee:True Story,The Chinese Stuntman), he looked pretty decent. If the ability is there, then it's the choreographer's duty to properly exploit the talent. You agree?

Eagle Han is one of my favorite kickers, but I just don't get that feeling that he can do anything with those legs.

Watch Han Ying in movies like Shaolin Drunk Monkey and Death duel of Kung Fu. He jump kicks almost as well as WChL/HJL but, actually has a bit larger variety of kicks.

That's the way I feel when watching Hwang Jang Lee. It's like he can do anything. he repeats a lot of kicks, but he seems to always be pulling out something new. Eagle Han though is a great kicker. no doubt about it.

I don't think Chang Yi Tao has been mentioned. He puts in some great work in Inheritor of Kung Fu-

LyyUjcJ52RE

EDIT- my bad, I just noticed you mentioned Chang Yi Tao aka Phillip Cheung aka Bruce Lai:p

Yeah, he was pretty good and actually had a short exchange with Tan Tao Liang in one movie.

It's true Tan Tao Liang doesn't do a wide variety of kicks but what he does do is of high quality with awesome form and he's also famous for the hopping kicks without putting his leg back down like Bill Wallace is famous for. Tan mostly throws a sidekick, roundhouse, hook, and spinning hook but does throw front kicks occasionally as well. Sun Chien is another that doesn't trow a wide variety but what he does is of high quality. Casanova has some of the most powerful looking kicks, his spinning crescent kick is the best in the business imo. The chick from the Leg Fighters has awesome flexibility but looks like she's lacking in the power department. HJL is widely considered the best not only because of his variety and power but also his ability to use both right and left legs equally well where as people like Tan(left) and John Liu(right) tend to favor one leg over another. I'm not familiar with Chui Jing-Yat, what was he in? Being a TKD stylist I love all the kickers though! :)

A lot of the HK stars could hop on one leg while kicking but, TTL was probably the best at it. One should keep in mind how the stylist is built though too. Really short people like TTL have an advantage because it's easier for them to learn control when they have shorter legs. This makes them look even more awesome when kicking. The disadvantage is that shorter legs means they don't get the benefits of attacking from long range like a tall guy would get. Also, like I said, TTL only uses about 3 kicks and you cited them exactly above-hook, roundhouse and sidekick. The rest are just variations of those 3. For example you mentioned spinning hook which is just a hook with a spin. A jump round house and flying sidekick are two other examples of variations on basic kicks. These are the only techniques TTL needs considering how good he is with them.

Ka Sa Fa's spinning crescent kick is probably the best out there...I have to agree with that off hand.

Hsia Kuang Li (Leg Fighters) does look like she lacks power sometimes but, that is a consistency issue. I've seen her throw a powerful looking roundhouse only to follow up with another that didn't seem so powerful. I know she can do it but, she needs to be consistent. In the Woman Avenger however, she looked like her power was more consistent but, control was more in question. She's got power...loads of it...it's just that if you don't put that power into every kick then what use is it? Another thing about her is she performes certain "specialty" kicks better than about anyone...this is partly what carves her a niche in the bootmaster/mistress HOF.

Chui Jing Yat was the Villain in beauty investigators. He was also in Deadly Shaolin Long Fist, Invincible Obsessed Fighter and more.

I think Donnie Yen probably has the best (jump) spinning side kick. TTL and Wong Lung I think are tied for the best hookkick. The best pop up (multiple) jump kick goes to Wang Tao. The best pop up single jumpkick goes to Bruce Lee. The best flying side-kick goes to TTL. The best multiple flying side kick goes to HJL. The best "machine gun kick" is a tie between Han Ying, Donnie Yen and TTL. Best Butterfly kick goes to Li Yi Min. The best "Over the shoulder" Kick goes to Hsia Kuang Li. The best behind the back kick (e.g. "Balancing like a Swallow") goes to her too. The best side and round kicks go to TTL. The Best front kick goes to Hsia Kuang Li and Lo Mang (No, I did not make a mistake here). The best overall leg control is hard to say...TTL...Donnie Yen...Liu Chung Liang...Chui Jing Yat...Han Ying...Sit Chi Lin maybe...hard to say.

Is this about who's best onscreen, or who's Martial prowess is best displayed? Sometimes, it may come down to a choreographers demands from the artist hired. For instance, Ho Chung Tao looks horrible in a great number of films, then in a few others, (The Last Strike, Bruce Lee:True Story,The Chinese Stuntman), he looked pretty decent. If the ability is there, then it's the choreographer's duty to properly exploit the talent. You agree?
This is true. A lot of it is choreography.

Morgoth Bauglir
Watch Han Ying in movies like Shaolin Drunk Monkey and Death duel of Kung Fu. He jump kicks almost as well as WChL/HJL but, actually has a bit larger variety of kicks.

I can't agree to that. Unless you are saying he has a bigger variety of jumping kicks. THen I would give you a maybe. But overall I have seen more variety from Hwang. Trust me I have seen Shaolin Drunk Monkey and death Duel way too many times:D

A lot of the HK stars could hop on one leg while kicking but, TTL was probably the best at it. One should keep in mind how the stylist is built though too. Really short people like TTL have an advantage because it's easier for them to learn control when they have shorter legs. This makes them look even more awesome when kicking. The disadvantage is that shorter legs means they don't get the benefits of attacking from long range like a tall guy would get. Also, like I said, TTL only uses about 3 kicks and you cited them exactly above-hook, roundhouse and sidekick. The rest are just variations of those 3. For example you mentioned spinning hook which is just a hook with a spin. A jump round house and flying sidekick are two other examples of variations on basic kicks. These are the only techniques TTL needs considering how good he is with them.

Ka Sa Fa's spinning crescent kick is probably the best out there...I have to agree with that off hand.

Hsia Kuang Li (Leg Fighters) does look like she lacks power sometimes but, that is a consistency issue. I've seen her throw a powerful looking roundhouse only to follow up with another that didn't seem so powerful. I know she can do it but, she needs to be consistent. In the Woman Avenger however, she looked like her power was more consistent but, control was more in question. She's got power...loads of it...it's just that if you don't put that power into every kick then what use is it? Another thing about her is she performes certain "specialty" kicks better than about anyone...this is partly what carves her a niche in the bootmaster/mistress HOF.

Chui Jing Yat was the Villain in beauty investigators. He was also in Deadly Shaolin Long Fist, Invincible Obsessed Fighter and more.

I think Donnie Yen probably has the best (jump) spinning side kick. TTL and Wong Lung I think are tied for the best hookkick. The best pop up (multiple) jump kick goes to Wang Tao. The best pop up single jumpkick goes to Bruce Lee. The best flying side-kick goes to TTL. The best multiple flying side kick goes to HJL. The best "machine gun kick" is a tie between Han Ying, Donnie Yen and TTL. Best Butterfly kick goes to Li Yi Min. The best "Over the shoulder" Kick goes to Hsia Kuang Li. The best behind the back kick (e.g. "Balancing like a Swallow") goes to her too. The best side and round kicks go to TTL. The Best front kick goes to Hsia Kuang Li and Lo Mang (No, I did not make a mistake here). The best overall leg control is hard to say...TTL...Donnie Yen...Liu Chung Liang...Chui Jing Yat...Han Ying...Sit Chi Lin maybe...hard to say.

Let's not forget about Kim Won Jin either, that guy is tops in the kicking department and he can pull off some amazing acrobatics as well. The kicks we use in TKD that I was taught are the front, roundhouse, side, hook, spinning hook, ax, outside inside(reverse cresent kick), inside outside(cresent kick), spinning side kick, donkey kick(back kick), push kick, and butterfly(Tornado) kick. Then of course like you said there are variations to some of these kicks like adding a jumping or spinning angle to them. Please excuse me but I'm curious you seem to know alot about kicking, do you study TKD or some other kick oriented art like Hapkido?

• Like 1

... The best pop up single jumpkick goes to Bruce Lee. ...

I disagree, and don't know what you are referring to when you say "single jumpkick".

Personally, if you want to say what Bruce Lee did best, I would say it was the triple combination kick; SIDEKICK, CRESCENT KICK, ROUNDHOUSE KICK, originally introduced to Mandarin Kung Fu audiences in The Big Boss. It's the scene at the end of the film where he kicks one of Han Yin Kit's baddies into the pool, outside The Boss' home. No one used this combination on film authenticly, before Bruce, and no one does it better.

Justmyopinionhereok?sothanksandthat'sallfornow.:l

I disagree, and don't know what you are referring to when you say "single jumpkick".

How can you disagree when you don't know what he's referring to? :P

On another subject, I just finished Mar's Villa again with a struggle.

John Liu is a good kicker, no doubt, but he's got like 4 different kicks he repeats over and over again in every single fight. If you have seen one them, you've basicly seen them all. In the Secret Rivals movies it is more bearable since Wong Tao and Tino Wong balances it out with some more versatile kung fu.

Chinatown Kid said:
I'm not familiar with Chui Jing-Yat, what was he in?

I first saw Chui Jing-Yat in Shaolin Drunken Monk. He played the #1 henchman to Eagle Han, who fought Gordon Liu and his partner. He did some pretty wicked kicking in that fight scene (Check 2:23 at this youtube scene).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9upjq6VZnHE

Then, he blew me away in License to Steal, where he showcased his impressive kicking skills in an all-out garage rumble that featured Joyce Godenzi-Hung, Collin Chou, Yuen Biao, and Billy Chau as well. Chui is the guy in grey fighting a young Collin Chou.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-PCT2liQ6o

Edited by AlbertV

How can you disagree when you don't know what he's referring to?

Well, if you noticed, I picked a specific comment made by Jingangchan to reply to. I knew at least what I was commenting on by placing his quote before my rebuttal. By pointing out my opinion, I clearly stated not only what I felt Lee was best at, but also what he may have pioneered. Why the sarcasm? I wasn't being a cynic, simply stating what I feel, as so many others do. Pick your sources on decent merit. :l