Best superkicker

Guest will91XingYu

I only saw parts of the final fight so far, but IMO Tiger on Beat is Conan Lee's best film. According to Ng See-Yuen, Ng had plans to develop Conan Lee into a big star. He was going to film a movie in Europe or somewhere with Lee, and Lee backed out of it, feeling it was beneath him. Lee then took roles in a lot of stupid movies (Gymkata, and another poor American movie about time travelers). Then came TOB. After which was the Aces Go Places (4?), then one more film where he's unceremoniously blown up, then that was it. So except for TOB, he didn't do much since his debut in Ninja in the Dragon's Den.

Needless to say, Ng felt that Conan Lee could have been a much bigger star had he let Ng develop him.

And Conan uses the nickname "Hutch", after his real name: Lloyd Hutchinson.

Hiroyuki did a lot of frenetic kicks in Roaring Fire...very nicely done. Sonny Chiba definitely made Sanada look good here.

Guest will91XingYu

Conan Lee had to stop making films as well due to a massive injuy making Tiger on Beat 2, where he jumps to a lampost but misses and falls on the floor., i think he broke one of his legs and head injury's i think.

Guest Endsang

Yeah that clip is on youtube labelled as "stunt gone wrong" or something. I think the whole movie production was halted until he had recovered. I can't really see how that stunt could have ended any other way.. it's simply insane.

Guess that's the kind of shit that happens when you don't take the necessary precautions.

I read somewhere that Ridley Tsui, the film's stunt coordinator, wanted to use a double for that stunt, but Conan insisted on doing the stunt himself, then we all know what happened.

I did like Conan's cameo as Jet Li's brother in Lethal Weapon 4 and he was the fight choreographer for the Eddie Griffin comedy Undercover Brother.

Chinatown Kid

I can't understand why filmmakers, especially in HK, haven't utilized Kim's talents more than they have. Haven't seen him in anything new in a long time and that's a shame, he is one of the best kickers to ever grace the screen. :(

I heard he overdid it and he ended up getting so worn out from HK films that he needed a break. He was seen in a nice kicking performance in China Strike Force, where he even spoke a little English.

Kim today is of course, an action choreographer in Korea, with the My Wife is a Gangster trilogy.

==================================================================

Stephen Tung Wei is a nice kicker as well. He went kick for kick and even looked better against John Liu in Mars' Villa as is Tiger Yang. He was great as the superkicking henchman in Warriors Two.

Im sure in the earlier posts there has been mention of Tan Tao Liang, but my admiration needs to be spoken of! His combination kicking is unmatched apart from Hwang Jang Lee, and he is not repetitive like John Liu. Also just for his ability to keep his leg in the air. . . I could go on. But in my opinion the best action Ive seen from him is in the movie Revenge of the Shaolin Master, wherein he is choreographed by Yuen Woo Ping and Yuen Cheung YAn! This has to be seen to be believed. Every kick and intricate piece of choreography showcases his abilities to the utmost, and his hand techniques are the best he has done. check out the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYOhrBW_QrE

Also this recent interview is the bomb!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pbk6IIkLng

Yeah, that interview was from 1993-1994 in the documentary Top Fighter. The first of his students who throws that amazing kicking combination is martial arts champion Jason Han. I was going through some of my MA magazines and he has done some instructional tapes as well.

theportlykicker
Wow, this is a great question. I guess I would have to say Yuen Biao and Bruce Lee. Both of these guys are fierce kickers.

Yuen Biao had nice form and great athleticism, but "fierce" he most definitely was not.

Yuen Biao showed off kicks that people like Hwang Jang Lee and Tan Tao Liang could only dream of sometimes, because he could incorperate his great gymnastic skills to his kicks. Billy Chong is an amazing kicker, just watched him in Super Power when he's showing off his natural boxing!:D

Perfect example of Yuen doing Tan-like kicks: Knockabout

Carl Scott was a pretty good kicker as well. He pulled off some nice kicks in Sun Dragon.

Jonathan Ke Quan did some nice kicks in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Breathing Fire. To think, he studied TKD under Philip Tan, then Tan Tao-Liang. Always wondered what happened to Jonathan's co-star from the latter, Eddie Saavedra. He was a good TKD artist as well.

qW9IALmOVcs

Eddie Saavedra and Jonathan Ke Quan vs. Doofy Bad Guy

I just watched Cheetah On Fire and I would say Michael Woods has claims as the bulkiest superkicker ever! Check out his signature double kick (also performed sweetly in Tiger Cage 2) and sidekicks. The power behind em is immense

Hwang Jang Lee and Leung Siu Lung. Unbeatable for kicks.

John Liu I don't like. He's very limited, and his actual technique is all over the place. When he does spin kicks he doesn't even look where he is kicking!

That said, his best films are when he has to face off against Hwang Jang Lee. He simply has to raise his game.

Someone who is underrated is Roy Horan. That guys kicks are very similar to Hwang Jang Lee in terms of how they look. Which isn't a surprise as he was taught by him.