Best superkicker

Guest will91XingYu

NoKUNGFUforYU
26 minutes ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

That case is pretty messed up (assuming it's all true), especially having the balls to carry on working in HK probably having a gay old time, basically laughing in everyone's faces. But why would his sons be living with him if it was all true? Then again I don't trust the courts in Taiwan or HK. I don't trust the UK courts either actually, especially some of the crazy stuff this last week. Justice is only for the right people it would seem.

Sons could be abusers as well. Let's get real, these are pretty patriarchal countries, and up until recently women getting slapped on Taiwanese Soaps like it was no big deal.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bigrogie said:

Best old school kickers:

Hwang Jang Lee: Most powerful

Tan Tao Liang: Best techniques

John Liu:  Most flexible

Best pro kicker: Bill Wallace. His left roundhouse was simply amazing. Saw him live in Toronto in the late 70s against Daniel Richer who was then the Canadian champion and a pretty good kicker himself (like most of Chong Lee's black belts). I knew Richer and saw him right after the fight in the locker room. His upper body was all bruised from all the kicks he received....  

Oh yeah Bill Wallace of course! Shame he didnt do more Hong Kong movies...

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, bigrogie said:

Best old school kickers:

Best pro kicker: Bill Wallace. His left roundhouse was simply amazing. Saw him live in Toronto in the late 70s against Daniel Richer who was then the Canadian champion and a pretty good kicker himself (like most of Chong Lee's black belts). I knew Richer and saw him right after the fight in the locker room. His upper body was all bruised from all the kicks he received....  

Not sure if I'd consider John Liu most flexible, his kicks are quite strange. I'm not saying he can't kick, he certainly can, but there's something off about it, like his muscle don't work the same as usual.

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU
9 minutes ago, bigrogie said:

Best old school kickers:

Pretty much nailed it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Sons could be abusers as well. Let's get real, these are pretty patriarchal countries, and up until recently women getting slapped on Taiwanese Soaps like it was no big deal.

That's quite a leap with the sons idea. But I agree that most Asian countries are not very "gentlemanly" with their lady friends.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bigrogie said:

Yup, Superfoot's left roundhouse was clocked at about 60 mph, second best according to sources. Funny how his one fight in American Hunter (1989) against Eddy Jonathan is worth more than the entire A Force of One (1979).

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Super Ninja said:

Yup, Superfoot's left roundhouse was clocked at about 60 mph, second best according to sources. Funny how his one fight in American Hunter (1989) against Eddy Jonathan is worth more than the entire A Force of One (1979).

I was so disappointed in A Force Of One, having The Jet and the gang all together, but it's no Dragons Forever.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

I was so disappointed in A Force Of One, having The Jet and the gang all together, but it's no Dragons Forever.

Not a good movie I'll admit that, but I enjoyed it never the less. It way my introduction to Superfoot, plus you get Norris' brother Aaron, son Miike as the pizza guy on skateboard, Ron O'Neal from Superfly and Jennifer O'Neill from Sette Notte in Nero. Besides, where else will you see Chuck Norris fighting topless in the middle of nowhere, all white from cocaine?

• Like 4

His home videos? Lol, kidding. But you make a good case, I just never find the western guys looking anywhere near as good as when they had a HK action director. Wallace is actually a great example of this because we have the different versions of The Protector to compare.

PS, I did have some Bill Wallce training books back in the day :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

But you make a good case, I just never find the western guys looking anywhere near as good as when they had a HK action director.

Agreed, Rothrock being the first that comes to mind.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Super Ninja said:

Agreed, Rothrock being the first that comes to mind.

Yup. Police Assassins is still one of my Favs, but everybody did a great job on that, all the stuntmen in HK :P

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

Yup. Police Assassins is still one of my Favs, but everybody did a great job on that, all the stuntmen in HK

Man, she's on fire in that one. I remember watching Tiger Claws shortly after and was just disappointed how lame her fights with Bolo are.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

Yup. Police Assassins is still one of my Favs, but everybody did a great job on that, all the stuntmen in HK :P

Ive been seeing Rothrock's YouTube videos recently and I remember how she sort of got wrangled out of doing HK movies to go do China O Brien, and she never went back to Hong Kong afterwards. What a shame! I would've loved to have seen her in some 90s HK actioners, maybe in a late stage Sammo movie even (Dont Give a Damn?) but yeah she's a top 3 female HK action star in my opinion, immensely talented, suprsingly decent actress and great kicking ability, only rarely doubled by her VERY lucky boyfriend at the time, Mang Hoi (yeah btw I did think she was very cute in the 80s as well as being a bad ass😁)

• Like 4

Here's a guy who sometimes gets forgotten from best kickers lists (maybe coz of too many Koreans :P)

Cho Wing was a fantastic kicker who I first saw in Red Wolf, it's only a short fight, but damn is it entertaining watching those feet fly. He's had a few different films to show his skills (wish it was more), notably for me in Nocturnal Demon, Evil Cult and especially In The Line Of Duty 4. Here's a clip from To Catch A Thief, which I'm working on due to Won Jin's involvement, if only these two superkickers could've went to to toe, but here Cho Wing has a decent chance to show some skills against To Siu Chun.

Cheers

• Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU
3 hours ago, Josh Baker said:

Ive been seeing Rothrock's YouTube videos recently and I remember how she sort of got wrangled out of doing HK movies to go do China O Brien, and she never went back to Hong Kong afterwards. What a shame! I would've loved to have seen her in some 90s HK actioners, maybe in a late stage Sammo movie even (Dont Give a Damn?) but yeah she's a top 3 female HK action star in my opinion, immensely talented, suprsingly decent actress and great kicking ability, only rarely doubled by her VERY lucky boyfriend at the time, Mang Hoi (yeah btw I did think she was very cute in the 80s as well as being a bad ass😁)

Those HK movies were dangerous and a lot of people got hurt and there was no insurance. I imagine she made more with one US production then all the HK ones combined. At a certain point you want to not get nagging injuries and pay the bills. And I like her HK work much, much more. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Those HK movies were dangerous and a lot of people got hurt and there was no insurance. I imagine she made more with one US production then all the HK ones combined. At a certain point you want to not get nagging injuries and pay the bills. And I like her HK work much, much more. 

She said in her videos though she preferred working on her HK movies though...

• Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU
9 hours ago, Josh Baker said:

She said in her videos though she preferred working on her HK movies though...

Weird. I wonder what happened there? Maybe just moved on to the next thing or her last few films there did not sell well.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Weird. I wonder what happened there? Maybe just moved on to the next thing or her last few films there did not sell well.

Bad agent apparently.

And she just probably got stuck in a whirlwind of shooting American B movies back to back and couldn't focus on making a comeback to Hong Kong

• Like 3

On 12/4/2020 at 3:09 PM, Super Ninja said:

Man, she's on fire in that one. I remember watching Tiger Claws shortly after and was just disappointed how lame her fights with Bolo are.

It's a shame we never got to see them fight in a Hong Kong movie. The pair both shared the cast in Millionaires Express, with just a cameo from Bolo.

There's been some great disucssion going on this thread recently, I don't mean to derail the Kick heavy theme.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

It's a shame we never got to see them fight in a Hong Kong movie. The pair both shared the cast in Millionaires Express, with just a cameo from Bolo.

Considering the cast, it's no wonder they didn't get the chance to exchange blows there. That movie would need at least two or three sequels to make use of all the talent on its hands. Speaking of kicks heavy, there's no need to derail the theme. I was surprised by Bolo's kicks in Amsterdam Connection (1978). With Cindy's bootwork skills, the fight between the two could have been a lot different than we'd expect.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Speaking of kicks heavy, there's no need to derail the theme. I was surprised by Bolo's kicks in Amsterdam Connection (1978).

I always enjoy watching Amsterdam Connection(1978), and you a right in regards to his kicking. Also take note of his leg-work in Karate 2, especially in the finale. Keep your expectations in check though, he's no Hwang Jang-Lee, Casanova Wong or Won Jin etc. He just wasn't hired by film companies to be the bootmaster. Now if he had been brought up in Korea, and studied the more kick heavy Martial Arts styles, things may have been dfifferent.

With Cindy's bootwork skills, the fight between the two could have been a lot different than we'd expect.

True, we can only guess how this would have turned out under Sammo Hung's direction.

Considering the cast, it's no wonder they didn't get the chance to exchange blows there. That movie would need at least two or three sequels to make use of all the talent on its hands.

Agreed, with so much talent invovled some had to be pushed into the background.

Talking about kicking skills, Man Lee-Pang had some fine bootwork talents if he's not been mentioned already?. His kicking ability was one of the few highlights of Kung Fu on Sale(1979). Click on the link below for some of my thoughts on this one.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I always enjoy watching Amsterdam Connection(1978), and you a right in regards to his kicking. Also take note of his leg-work in Karate 2, especially in the finale. Keep your expectations in check though, he's no Hwang Jang-Lee, Casanova Wong or Won Jin etc. He just wasn't hired by film companies to be the bootmaster. Now if he had been brought up in Korea, and studied the more kick heavy Martial Arts styles, things may have been dfifferent.

Understandable, just for someone of his size, and considering he was a bodybuilder, I was surprised to see him being so agile, despite knowing he trained Tai Chi.

18 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Talking about kicking skills, Man Lee-Pang had some fine bootwork talents if he's not been mentioned already?. His kicking ability was one of the few highlights of Kung Fu on Sale(1979). Click on the link below for some of my thoughts on this one.

I've just watched Kung Fu on Sale some two weeks ago, and I agree, Man Lee-Pang's performance is definitely one of the highlights of the movie. I've also read your review soon after finishing the movie and I pretty much agree with everything you've said, good stuff!

• Like 3

I've just watched Kung Fu on Sale some two weeks ago, and I agree, Man Lee-Pang's performance is definitely one of the highlights of the movie. I've also read your review soon after finishing the movie and I pretty much agree with everything you've said, good stuff!

Thanks for taking the time to read my review/ramblings concerning Kung Fu on Sale. I've put reviews on the back burner for awhile, but I'll be getting round to doing some more in the future.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Thanks for taking the time to read my review/ramblings concerning Kung Fu on Sale. I've put reviews on the back burner for awhile, but I'll be getting round to doing some more in the future.

Sure thing @DragonClaws, there's no better way to learn than comparing your own writings with other people's reviews, one can improve on his knowledge and understanding of the genre a lot. Writing reviews takes a lot of time, especially if English is not your first language, like in my case. With all the research you need to put into it, sometimes it's not easy to find the time, but I'm definitely looking forward to your future reviews pal.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Writing reviews takes a lot of time, especially if English is not your first language, like in my case.

I would never have guessed it wasn't your first language. It always impresses me when I see people posting on here, who have learned English as a second language.

9 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

With all the research you need to put into it, sometimes it's not easy to find the time, but I'm definitely looking forward to your future reviews pal.

Nice to hear you are looking forward to any future reviews I do. It can time consuming, and like you said legitimate information isn't always easy to find. Thats why its so cool to have the many sharped eyed fans, we have on this forum. Who can point out any errors/mistakes etc.

• Like 3