Best superkicker

Guest will91XingYu

7 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

From what I read, Quan trained first under Philip Tan during Indiana Jones and then afterwards, he trained at Tan Tao Liang's dojang.

Cool, he's one of the only US action director's that I kinda like and he's got some nice moves of his own too.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Wang was violent sober. There is an interview with one of his old stuntmen that said he would hit everyone really hard when he was mad on set during filming if they didn't do what he wanted or react enough in the fight scenes. They all had to take it as he had triad connections. 

Jeez. Anyway, getting this thread back on track, has anyone suggested Bradley James Allan from the JC stunt-team? His kicks are outstanding- fluid precise and acrobatic- a joy to watch in Who Am I? (doubling Ron Smoorenburg) and Gorgeous 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Josh Baker said:

Jeez. Anyway, getting this thread back on track, has anyone suggested Bradley James Allan from the JC stunt-team? His kicks are outstanding- fluid precise and acrobatic- a joy to watch in Who Am I? (doubling Ron Smoorenburg) and Gorgeous 

Yeah good shout. Apparently he was a bit disapointed with Gorgeos because he wanted to do some more kicks, I'd have prefered that too :P

He also gets do some decent action in Jackie Chan's My tunts.

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU
6 minutes ago, Josh Baker said:

Back to on track there is another guy on the Double Team crew who did Van Damme's jumping and spinning side kick combos because he was too coked up and also could not perform some of them as he had not mastered some of the Tae Kwon do kicks like the jump triple sidekick. He even did a video series on how to use the ballet Barre to improve kicks.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Back to on track there is another guy on the Double Team crew who did Van Damme's jumping and spinning side kick combos because he was too coked up and also could not perform some of them as he had not mastered some of the Tae Kwon do kicks like the jump triple sidekick. He even did a video series on how to use the ballet Barre to improve kicks.

I love the idea that Van Damme was too coked up to perform fight scenes properly- like what do you think your there for man? I mean I dont wanna make light of his former drug problem but I mean kicks are what he's known for

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU
2 minutes ago, Josh Baker said:

I love the idea that Van Damme was too coked up to perform fight scenes properly- like what do you think your there for man? I mean I dont wanna make light of his former drug problem but I mean kicks are what he's known for

I think one of the issues is that he was actually a shotokan guy with high kicks and added a few spin kicks to his repertoire. There was a point back in the 70's where people learned kicks from just seeing at tournaments or magazines, so everyone could do some of the kicks that were not initially in there style. But to pull off some of the kicks that are in the end fight you would need some serious coaching as well as learning how to set them up. Even though he could kick high, they were still Karate kicks and those don't always set up well for certain aerial kicks of Tae Kwon do. Bruce Fontaine was the guy! https://www.mykaratestore.com/chinese-kicking-series-by-sifu-bruce-fontaine/

• Like 4

What was that guy's name? I always say to people it's one of VD's better films (action wise only!!!), but if it wasn't him doing the better moves I need to makes some retractions :P

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU
1 minute ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

What was that guy's name? I always say to people it's one of VD's better films (action wise only!!!), but if it wasn't him doing the better moves I need to makes some retractions :P

I think it was Bruce Fontaine, but it might have been a different guy. I know someone had to do the kicks in the finale as it was in an interview that Sammo or someone got someone else to do them. I would not be surprised if that was why Van Damme wore the weird hobo outfits to cover himself. I will ask Toby Russell. I know this sounds like conspiracy theory stuff, but I have noticed that things that might make a celebrity look bad seem to be hard to find. I have seen sights that "rehab your online reputation" so maybe this has been buried. It was really hard to find Bob Wall's arrest record and prison time for being a real estate swindler, when it was pretty easy years ago. Also that Norris had to call in favors with some GOP people to get him a reduced sentence.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

I think it was Bruce Fontaine, but it might have been a different guy. I know someone had to do the kicks in the finale as it was in an interview that Sammo or someone got someone else to do them. I would not be surprised if that was why Van Damme wore the weird hobo outfits to cover himself. I will ask Toby Russell. I know this sounds like conspiracy theory stuff, but I have noticed that things that might make a celebrity look bad seem to be hard to find. I have seen sights that "rehab your online reputation" so maybe this has been buried. It was really hard to find Bob Wall's arrest record and prison time for being a real estate swindler, when it was pretty easy years ago. Also that Norris had to call in favors with some GOP people to get him a reduced sentence.

Bob Wall was a real estate swindler??! Thats absolutely hilarious 

• Like 4

Also, wasnt Van Damme a Kickboxer as well? Having done kickboxing myself they do teach kicks more similar to Taekwondo in most Kickboxing disciplines

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Josh Baker said:

Bob Wall was a real estate swindler??! Thats absolutely hilarious 

I thougt the exact same thing. I can just see him wearing a little red jacket too like Lionel Hutz.

• Like 3

Just now, Dredderick_Tatum said:

I thougt the exact same thing. I can just see him wearing a little red jacket too like Lionel Hutz.

Yes! im so with you there

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Seems like quite a few martial artists have a hard time staying out of trouble. maybe you should do a section on it, or maybe people would find it in poor taste, I don't know, just an idea.

• Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU
Just now, Dredderick_Tatum said:

Seems like quite a few martial artists have a hard time staying out of trouble. maybe you should do a section on it, or maybe people would find it in poor taste, I don't know, just an idea.

I think it is worth a few threads-

Tony Liu Wing was a serial wife abuser, for instance. Not funny, unlike Bob Wall, who just seems like an incredibly lucky guy that was in the right place at the right time and acted like he was on the level of Joe Lewis in terms of martial arts ability. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

It would be interesting to see just for information and knowledge's sake, but yeah I guess it has the potential to fall into just laughing at other people's misfortunes, which is not good.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

I think it is worth a few threads-

Tony Liu Wing was a serial wife abuser, for instance. Not funny, unlike Bob Wall, who just seems like an incredibly lucky guy that was in the right place at the right time and acted like he was on the level of Joe Lewis in terms of martial arts ability. 

Tony Liu? You mean the guy who played the Big Boss's son?

• Like 3

That case is pretty messed up (assuming it's all true), especially having the balls to carry on working in HK probably having a gay old time, basically laughing in everyone's faces. But why would his sons be living with him if it was all true? Then again I don't trust the courts in Taiwan or HK. I don't trust the UK courts either actually, especially some of the crazy stuff this last week. Justice is only for the right people it would seem.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

That case is pretty messed up (assuming it's all true), especially having the balls to carry on working in HK probably having a gay old time, basically laughing in everyone's faces. But why would his sons be living with him if it was all true? Then again I don't trust the courts in Taiwan or HK. I don't trust the UK courts either actually, especially some of the crazy stuff this last week. Justice is only for the right people it would seem.

Well its probably mostly true if his second wife was warned about his behaviour...

• Like 3

Best old school kickers:

Hwang Jang Lee: Most powerful

Tan Tao Liang: Best techniques

John Liu:  Most flexible

Best pro kicker: Bill Wallace. His left roundhouse was simply amazing. Saw him live in Toronto in the late 70s against Daniel Richer who was then the Canadian champion and a pretty good kicker himself (like most of Chong Lee's black belts). I knew Richer and saw him right after the fight in the locker room. His upper body was all bruised from all the kicks he received....  

• Like 5