Best superkicker

Guest will91XingYu

4 minutes ago, venom10463 said:

Benny Lai. I was very impressed with his kicking ability in Police Story 2.

He showed off some skill against JC. I know he's a stunt man in tons of stuff, but don' remember him getting another good scene like that.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

He showed off some skill against JC. I know he's a stunt man in tons of stuff, but don' remember him getting another good scene like that.

He should have gotten more screen time after his performance in Police Story 2, but I think it was his choosing to remain behind the scene and continue playing henchmen roles. That is my assumption.

Edited by venom10463
  • Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane

He got a decent amount of screen time in The Godfather Daughter Mafia Blues as sort of a third lead, though still taking a backseat to Yukari and Mark Cheng.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, venom10463 said:

Benny Lai. I was very impressed with his kicking ability in Police Story 2.

Yeah I agree with this his kicking ability was absolutely excellent. When I first saw the film I just thought he was a martial artist they brought in specifically for this movie, I didn't realize until later on that he was a long time member of the Jackie Chan Stunt Team. I wonder who he was taught by?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Josh Baker said:

Yeah I agree with this his kicking ability was absolutely excellent. When I first saw the film I just thought he was a martial artist they brought in specifically for this movie, I didn't realize until later on that he was a long time member of the Jackie Chan Stunt Team. I wonder who he was taught by?

On the Criterion Police Story Collection interview, he says he started learning Taekwondo as a child and learned different styles as he got older.

Edited by venom10463
  • Like 4

Just now, venom10463 said:

On the Criterion Police Story Collection interview, he says he started learning Taekwondo as a child and learned different styles as he got older.

Thank you for the information! I remember watching an interview with him on the original Hong Kong Legends DVD and he did aa great demonstration of his nunchaku skills! Very impressive!

• Like 4

I'm sure I heard somewhere that he was a Hapkido stylist, which is rather unusual for a HK stutman, Taekwondo seems more likely.

Edited by Dredderick_Tatum
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

I'm sure I heard somewhere that he was a Hapkido stylist, which is rather unusual for a HK stutman, TKD seems more likely.

Jackie Chan was trained in Hapkido as far as I'm aware? It's Sammo Hung's main practising form of martial art, he studied under a Hapkido Master for several years in the early 70s. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Josh Baker said:

Jackie Chan was trained in Hapkido as far as I'm aware? It's Sammo Hung's main practising form of martial art, he studied under a Hapkido Master for several years in the early 70s. 

Cool, they don't seem to use it much in their films, maybe just do it for fun and a bit of help with the kicks.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

Cool, they don't seem to use it much in their films, maybe just do it for fun and a bit of help with the kicks.

Nah, theyre arent that many flips and throws and JC fight choreography, maybe that stuff is a relic of the basher films from the early 70s?

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU
8 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

He got a decent amount of screen time in The Godfather Daughter Mafia Blues as sort of a third lead, though still taking a backseat to Yukari and Mark Cheng.

Shameless Plug, I did a custom of this a while back.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Another one of Tan's students, Goonies star Jonathan Ke Quan, did some nice kicks in Breathing Fire (which Tan executive produced and came up with the story, loosely based on his Shaolin Deadly Kicks aka Flash Legs).

Wow, didn't know this. I loved Breathing Fire, and while I've read it's kind of a remake of Shaolin Deadly Kicks, I was surprised to see his name there, this explains his connection to the movie. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Shameless Plug, I did a custom of this a while back.

Lol, I actually watched this last night to check the film out and thought it looked suspiciously high in quality for a HK vid. Great job.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Wow, didn't know this. I loved Breathing Fire, and while I've read it's kind of a remake of Shaolin Deadly Kicks, I was surprised to see his name there, this explains his connection to the movie. 

Well he used the pseudonym "Delon Tanners". Thanks to @Mike Leeder for telling me this info many moons ago when I first saw the trailer.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

Well he used the pseudonym "Delon Tanners". Thanks to @Mike Leeder for telling me this info many moons ago when I first saw the trailer.

That explains it, I did quite a bit of research while reviewing Breathing Fire, but nothing I found out had the value of this little piece of info. Thanks for sharing @AlbertV

• Like 3

My favourite super kickers are Hwang Jang Lee for his power and accuracy as well as Casanova Wong. Also Yuen Biao in his prime was one hell of a bootman.

Edited by drees5761
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, drees5761 said:

My favourite super kickers are Hwang Jang Lee for his power and accuracy as well as Casanova Wong. Also Yuen Biao in his prime was one hell of a bootman.

All very good with their legs.

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU
6 hours ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

Lol, I actually watched this last night to check the film out and thought it looked suspiciously high in quality for a HK vid. Great job.

The clip is from a remaster that is on VOD in China. Took it and added the subtitles. They are doing a great job of remastering random titles and putting them on VOD. Some may show up on blu ray, but others do not.

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU
27 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Did anyone mention Wong Tao ?

I just saw some scenes form Death duel of kung fu and he seems to deliver with his feet too !

Yes, Wong Tao was a tae kwon do competitor when he went to school in the USA. Now, he was initially set to play the Northern Leg he said that everything changed when John Liu and Tan Tao Liang showed up in an interview.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Yes, Wong Tao was a tae kwon do competitor when he went to school in the USA. Now, he was initially set to play the Northern Leg he said that everything changed when John Liu and Tan Tao Liang showed up in an interview.

Wong Tao is an excellent kicker but I dont think they are really his raison detre like they are with John Liu and Dorian Tan? Plus he has slightly less finesse? Although he is a great kicker

• Like 3

Should I create an anti matter thread of this one, about how Jimmy Wang Yu CANT kick? I dont want to be negative but I think its something that isnt brought up enough:rofl

• Like 4

On 12/2/2020 at 12:32 PM, Dredderick_Tatum said:

I agree about Knockabout kicking style, it's certanly his kind of thing, love that movie btw. I thought I heard about Liang training Quan, do you know if it was before or after Temple Of Doom, I remember him throwing some kicks there, he was my fav character as a kid, now not so much, lol.

From what I read, Quan trained first under Philip Tan during Indiana Jones and then afterwards, he trained at Tan Tao Liang's dojang.

• Like 4