Best superkicker

Guest will91XingYu

Recently, I've been impressed with the following superkickers

Michael Jai White

Scott Adkins

Marko Zaror

Believe it or not, and I may get shot for this, but Taylor Lautner is quite a kicker himself. He studied karate and then trained under Mike Chat(arantabut) in XMA and showcased some of his kicking skills in Sharkboy and Lavagirl. His trademark is the capoeira handstand kick and the standing side kick into a flash kick (backflip kick).

Another XMA stylist who has impressive kicking skills is Matt Mullins. Saw some of his work in scenes from Bloodfist 2050 and took on Michael Jai White in Blood and Bone as well as co-stars on the CW4Kids series Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight as Len/Wing Knight.

I'm reviving this thread, because I watched FISTS OF BRUCE LEE today and I realized another good kicker.

Bruce Cheung (Chang Il-Shik/Chang I Chih), a Korean actor who usually plays villains, played an undercover agent with Bruce Li. Cheung plays most of the film looking like he would be a villain. But I was quite impressed with some of his kicks in this film. Even does a nice kick for kick exchange with Li in the film.

Many will know him for playing the main bad guy in films like HARD BASTARD and REVENGE OF THE DRUNKEN MASTER.

HardBastard+1981-42-b.jpg

ShaOW!linDude

Wow, I did not know about this thread. That's a lot of pages. I scanned back a few but I'm not going to read all of that right now. I'll just pick up here.

I agree with Michael Jai White, Marko Zaror, Scott Adkins, and Matt Mullins. Especially the last 3. MJW is really good but not much for aerial displays. I haven't ever seen Taylor Lautner in action.

MZ and SA both seem to defy the laws of gravity at times. I love it.

Of course, I love Bruce Lee. So freaking fast, man.

Chan, Hung, and Biao --- all very innovative with their choreography and showcasing really cool kicks. I always look for Sammo's signature hook kick and back kick in his fights. The fat dragon sneaks them in there so fast.

Early Chuck Norris stuff is great. And why Bill "Superfoot" Wallace never had more of a career in film is beyond me. He was a great villain in both "A Force of One" and JC's "The Protector".

Jet Li always dazzled me with his kicks in his early films. His Americanized films ruined some of that for me with their use of wires.

Donnie Yen is another with signature kicks he uses in every film. But they look sooooooo good! I don't blame him.

JCVD ---- how can you not be impressed by his kicking display in NR/NS and Bloodsport? But.......

Daniel Bernhardt ---- .........is better. To me, anyway.

Billy Blanks ---- that dude blew me away! I love watching him kick. Wish he'd done more films.

Tony Jaa --- Ong Bak contains some of the best kicks I've ever seen on film. I'd love more of that from him.

Johnny Nguyen ----- Please, Please, Please, let "Clash" be as good as "The Rebel". There were some great kicks in that.

Lateef Crowder ---- somebody get this man a movie to star in. This guy can throwdown.

Mark Dacascos ---- great stuff in his prime: Only The Strong, Drive, Kickboxer 5. I hope it hasn't passed him by yet.

For ShaOWlin! Here is an 11-year old Taylor Lautner in Orlando for the ISKA Championships. He is a practitioner of XMA like Matt Mullins and trained under Mike Chat. His trademark is the capoeira kick into a flash kick (backflip kick). He did it on SNL when he hosted as well.

I8SSl8JkUXA

ShaOW!linDude
For ShaOWlin! Here is an 11-year old Taylor Lautner in Orlando for the ISKA Championships. He is a practitioner of XMA like Matt Mullins and trained under Mike Chat. His trademark is the capoeira kick into a flash kick (backflip kick). He did it on SNL when he hosted as well.

I8SSl8JkUXA

Holy freaking cow! That's sweet! And 11 yrs. old to boot. So that footage is almost 10 yrs. old then.

The "Twilight" people need to give him something to do on screen besides smolder and pine.

I understand he's supposed to be filming a movie titled CANCUN (or something like that) and he'll be showing off some of his MA skills in that. I hope that's still a go.

For me I think to be one of the truly great screen superkickers there has to be an individual way of moving. Hwang Jang Lee really said something with the way that he fired the kicks out. It was like his legs were high speed hydraulic jacks. And the amount of air he got with his arial kicks I still think is vastly missed by many. What I find truly amazing about Jang Lee is that when he did that triple kick jump he had reduced the number of kicks down from five so that the camera could capture the movement!

With that in mind, I have worked with some really good kickers, and most of the struggle to get the triple kick jump, let alone five kicks! That i think really says something about Hwang Jang Lee's abilities.

Many of the modern kickers lack a certain spark in the way that they move and are quite generic. They don't inject any feel or emotion into the movement. In other words the emotion and feel isn't projected through the way that they fire the kicks out. Nuances that made Hwang Jang Lee, Leung Siu Lung, Tan Tao Liang, Whang In Shik etc so unique.

I think to be with the greats you have to do or be more than simply showing off fancy moves.

Holy freaking cow! That's sweet! And 11 yrs. old to boot. So that footage is almost 10 yrs. old then.

The "Twilight" people need to give him something to do on screen besides smolder and pine.

I understand he's supposed to be filming a movie titled CANCUN (or something like that) and he'll be showing off some of his MA skills in that. I hope that's still a go.

Yeah, he is scheduled to do CANCUN I'm guessing after BREAKING DAWN. He has a thriller called ABDUCTION coming out next September where he plays a young man who finds his baby picture on a milk carton and learns his parents are not who they say they are.

He also just signed to do a sci-fi actioner called INCARCERON, where he plays a prisoner in a futuristic and completely self-contained living prison ruled by rivalry and savagery. Hugh Jackman is producing this one.

He may get to show his MA in the latter...not sure about ABDUCTION, but who knows.

The guy in the last fight with Jackie Chan in Young Master was pretty ferocious with his kicks & chin na!

That was Grandmaster Hwang In-Shik and he was actually using the Korean martial art of Hapkido, in which he is a 10th-degree black belt.

• Like 1

wow, thanks for the info AlbertV! Grandmaster Hwang In-Shik was no joke! Besides being a great superkicker, it looks like he can turn you into a human pretzel!

That was Grandmaster Hwang In-Shik and he was actually using the Korean martial art of Hapkido, in which he is a 10th-degree black belt.

Hwang In Sik has been around forever. He fought Bruce (and Chuck Norris!) in Way of the Dragon, Angela Mao in When Tae Kwan Do Strikes and played along side of her (in a rare good guy perf) in Hap Ki Do.

• Like 1

orientalwarrior1

Everyone mentions hwang jang lee and for obvious reasons he will be highly rated because he was able to let rip on many films and so he is without doubt a superkicker.

When u mention a super kicker many on previous lists i would of struck off because they come under very good kickers but as for john lui for me his spin kicks are to telegraphed its suppose to be head followed by kick with john lui its the opposite even though he is still very good to watch.But my superkickers i prefer are

Hwang jang lee

bruce liang

and a little known kicker that only a very few will no and that is jackson shu who is very devestating.

Thats my list

Thanks

Everyone mentions hwang jang lee and for obvious reasons he will be highly rated because he was able to let rip on many films and so he is without doubt a superkicker.

When u mention a super kicker many on previous lists i would of struck off because they come under very good kickers but as for john lui for me his spin kicks are to telegraphed its suppose to be head followed by kick with john lui its the opposite even though he is still very good to watch.But my superkickers i prefer are

Hwang jang lee

bruce liang

and a little known kicker that only a very few will no and that is jackson shu who is very devestating.

Thats my list

Thanks

Im intrigued by Jackson shu, Can you give us a short filmography.

I watched FIST OF THE GOLDEN MONKEY a few days ago and Elton Chong faced off against an amazing kicker near the film's finale. I checked out HKMDB and found his name:

Park Jong-Kuk

http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=16047&display_set=eng

This guy was dressed up like some tribal warrior, but his kicking was quite impressive, notably his spin kicks.

He was the star of the HK-Korea crossover TIGER OF NORTHLAND in 1976

tigerofnorthland.jpg

Kane Kosugi is a fantastic kicker, his Jump Spin Hook Kick is one of the best. Van Damme was a great kicker in his prime but has problems with combinations, the man can't do complex choreography.

Leo Howard, the star of Disney XD's KICKIN' IT, is a teen superkicker. He started out training in Shorin-Ryu Karate and then he trained in XMA under Matt Mullins

-UdaEqaPUps

Another XMA stylist who has some nice kicks is Booboo Stewart. His father is veteran Hollywood stuntman Nils Allen Stewart

VTinQFsoA8I