Which of Bruce Lee's fully completed films was the best?

Sifu

Which of Bruce's fully completed films was the best?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which of Bruce's fully completed films was the best?

• The Big Boss (1971)
    • Fist of Fury (1972)
    • Way of the Dragon (1972)
    • Enter the Dragon (1973)

I don't think Ted Thomas directly dubbed anyone of the character's played by Bruce Lee. Though he can be heard as the other character's such as the cook in Fist of Fury played by Huang Chung-Hsin.

My guess for Fist of Fury and The Way of the Dragon is that Bruce Lee is dubbed by Barry Haigh. For Tower Of Death my guess is Billy Lo is dubbed by Barry Haigh and Bobby Lo by Warren Rooke.

As for The Big Boss there are 2 different English dubs.

• Like 3

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
6 minutes ago, Frank Bolte said:

this order

big boss 

way of the dragon 

fist of fury

enter the dragon

Interesting. Just for encouraging discussion, why BB is on your top? And ETD on the bottom?

• Like 2

On 29.1.2018 at 3:52 AM, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

Interesting. Just for encouraging discussion, why BB is on your top? And ETD on the bottom?

BB is my favourite one..I liek the whole story, I like the character Bruce plays..also Bruce Lee is still kind of innocent, in his later films hes already too full of himself and Im not talking about the acting... way of the dragon was the first Bruce film I ever saw..also love the story..chinese guy goes abroad, hes a bit of a country bumbkin etc also it was Bruce Lee´s movie, his baby so to speak..so maybe it has the most of himself in it....fist of fury is also nice but sometimes it drags a long a bit..etd is too westernised for my taste... and hes too arrogant in this film...

having said all that; I still love all his four and half movies (even god)... its just that order...

having said that.. ...  I like some of ho chung tao films better than any of Bruce Lee´s films..hehe but

thtas just me... :D 

• Like 2

Phantom Dreamer

Somebody over at Nick Clarke's (greenbamboo's) forum stated Louis Delgado, not Joe Lewis, not Chuck Norris, was Bruce Lee's first choice to portray his Way of the Dragon opponent. That's the only instance I've have ever read that. I asked anyone else if they read or heard that claim and got no reply.

41214782_275972699685685_7588347596410236771_n.jpg

• Like 2

Phantom Dreamer

Bruce Lee movies: All 6 films ranked worst to best

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2018/bruce-lee-all-6-films-ranked-worst-to-best-enter-the-dragon-fist-of-fury-news/amp/

Lee became a leading man after returning to Hong Kong to make “The Big Boss” (1971). It was the first in a series of martial arts films the actor would headline, including “Fist of Fury” (1972), “The Way of the Dragon” (1973), and the posthumously released “Game of Death” (1978).

Hollywood came calling once again with “Enter the Dragon” (1973), a big budget spectacular that could have launched the actor to superstardom had he not died from cerebral edema three weeks before it opened. (In a sad irony, son Brandon Lee, died in 1993 at the age of 28 while filming “The Crow” when an improperly loaded prop gun misfired.)

Tour our photo gallery above of Bruce Lee movies, and see if your favorite topped the list.

• Like 1

Phantom Dreamer

Well, Fist of Fury was being remade into Fist of Legend and the closest Enter the Dragon got to be being remade was an episode of Kung Fu: The Legend Continues

• Like 1

I have probably commented in this thread before but I still have to give top honors to WOTD. It’s a basic story with a decent little twist at the end. But, since it’s the only completed film that Bruce made with a decent fight scene, I have to give it the top spot. Well, the showdown between Bruce and Chuck is a classic. But, my favorite BL work would be the footage he shot for his version of GOD. Otherwise, FOF is perhaps technically overall Bruce’s best film. But, due to a lack of a great fight scene, it ends up in 2nd place. I would place ETD 3rd because it’s entertaining with some great classic lines; not much of a martial arts movie though. In last place for me is TBB. Nothing about that movie interests me except Bruce himself. It really is sad that Bruce died so soon as he was just getting started with WOTD and GOD. 

• Like 2

Phantom Dreamer

We finalized the location for the shoot to complete the Game of Death, the right way. The owner and resident is a retired lawyer, so wish us luck in the negotiations and the permitting process. We will do it right.

IMG_20190211_130418.jpg

• Like 1

Phantom Dreamer
On 2/11/2019 at 1:07 PM, Phantom Dreamer said:

We finalized the location for the shoot to complete the Game of Death, the right way. The owner and resident is a retired lawyer, so wish us luck in the negotiations and the permitting process. We will do it right.

IMG_20190211_130418.jpg

Been a bit of a setback, maybe this won't be produced after all.

On 1/25/2018 at 5:30 PM, Phantom Dreamer said:

Anyone seen a Bruce Lee movie where Ted Thomas dubs his character's voice?

On 1/25/2018 at 11:41 PM, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

I don't think Ted Thomas directly dubbed anyone of the character's played by Bruce Lee. Though he can be heard as the other character's such as the cook in Fist of Fury played by Huang Chung-Hsin.

My guess for Fist of Fury and The Way of the Dragon is that Bruce Lee is dubbed by Barry Haigh. For Tower Of Death my guess is Billy Lo is dubbed by Barry Haigh and Bobby Lo by Warren Rooke.

As for The Big Boss there are 2 different English dubs.

I don't recognise any of the voices on the 2nd, more well known, English dub for The Big Boss.

The original/rejected English dub however has been uploaded to Dailymotion:

I've not watched the whole thing but still, it sounds like rather appropriately Ted Thomas is the big boss, as for Bruce I'm not sure of his name but it sounds to me like this guy: 

• Like 2

PandaPawPaw

Big Boss: I think overall this is his best movie. Good story/acting/characters but is let down a bit by the shoddy edited cuts and OTT flying jumping kicks.

Fist of Fury: Very close to BB but I find it a tad depressing. Solid fights especially against Bob Baker which I really love. The sets and clothing are great too. Nice to see Bruce acting and showing off what he can do.

Way of the Dragon: Love the main fight against Norris but the film is really poor story wise and I find it a bit dull. I find it an experimental type of movie and Bruce trying things out.

Enter the Dragon: Obviously a classic but very American in that the fights are pretty forgettable. Great memorable characters and the mirrors fight is cool.

I always found GOD ahead of its time due to the camera movements like Kareem rocking on the chair and the sets are really nice to look at and well made. I always get a feeling of Bruce was having his most fun filming this movie. Shame it never got completed. :(

• Like 4

Master with OK Fingers

I know it's not on the list to vote for, but my favourite is Game of Death. I grew up watching it and didn't even realise it wasn't Bruce for most of it until much later! but it didn't spoil it for me when I did notice and the soundtrack is fantastic. I would love to have seen what it was meant to be and Bruce's true vision of the film.

My order would be.

Game of Death

The Big Boss

Fist of Fury

Way of the Dragon

Enter the Dragon.

ETD, I don't know what it is and I can't put my finger on it but even with some of his most iconic moments the film doesn't sit right with me. Maybe it feels a bit too Westernised? It's like they had to put in Saxon & Kelly in there because they didn't think that Bruce would be enough or that audiences wouldn't watch it without them in it. 

It's a bit like The US cut of The Protector, it's not a JC film, but a film with JC in it.

To me it feels like that, just a film with Bruce Lee in it.

Well maybe I did put my finger on it after all 😁

Edited by Master with OK Fingers
  • Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

PandaPawPaw

HAHA I was the same about GOD. I watched it on VHS back in the day and it was my favourite BL movie then I found out many years later it wasn't even BL for the most part!  :o:P

I really wish that Raymond Chow had just released what was filmed and made it into a documentary. Maybe then we would of had the missing log footage. :(

Edited by PandaPawPaw
  • Like 4

Cognoscente

I thought that The Big Boss was his best film. His acting had the most range, and the way that he used the different items in the ice factory was a precursor to Jackie's style.

• Like 2

Duel to the Death

Fist of Fury is my favorite

Way of the Dragon or Big Boss is next.  I grew up with Way of the Dragon so i seen it a lot along side Fist of Fury. And i never saw Big Boss when i was younger. I seen it for the first time in the early 2000's and it was a real bad transfer on the 20th Century Fox Master Collection and it didn't make the best first impression. But i seen it twice in recent years on better transfers and i liked it so much i almost like it more than Way of the Dragon. The acting is way better but it's hard to get passed nostalgia. 

Enter the Dragon is last. It has too much of a Hollywood feel and i expected something like Fist of Fury. It's still a great movie but a little overrated. That treacherous O'hara. What i do like is finding out later in life who the extras were. Had no idea Sammo was in it. because i didn't know who he was at the time. And later to find out Jackie has a 2 second roll and Yuen Bao did stunt work. Dragons forever. 

• Like 2

Cognoscente
On 5/2/2020 at 2:36 PM, Master with OK Fingers said:

It's like they had to put in Saxon & Kelly in there because they didn't think that Bruce would be enough or that audiences wouldn't watch it without them in it. 

Ironically, producer Paul Heller shot himself in the foot when he said the following in the first issue of Fighting Stars: "The lone hero is a great and traditional kind of story that's particularly American. And even though Enter the Dragon is of an oriental subject, its basic theme is thoroughly American in attitude."

• Like 2

On 5/2/2020 at 3:36 PM, Master with OK Fingers said:

I know it's not on the list to vote for, but my favourite is Game of Death. I grew up watching it and didn't even realise it wasn't Bruce for most of it until much later! but it didn't spoil it for me when I did notice and the soundtrack is fantastic. I would love to have seen what it was meant to be and Bruce's true vision of the film.

My order would be.

Game of Death

The Big Boss

Fist of Fury

Way of the Dragon

Enter the Dragon.

ETD, I don't know what it is and I can't put my finger on it but even with some of his most iconic moments the film doesn't sit right with me. Maybe it feels a bit too Westernised? It's like they had to put in Saxon & Kelly in there because they didn't think that Bruce would be enough or that audiences wouldn't watch it without them in it. 

It's a bit like The US cut of The Protector, it's not a JC film, but a film with JC in it.

To me it feels like that, just a film with Bruce Lee in it.

Well maybe I did put my finger on it after all 😁

I couldnt possibly agree more with everything you said here! 😊👌 The GOD soundtrack and the Big Boss opening theme kicks in to my head every now and then. As does the Mandingo track from the New Fist of Fury opening. (US version I think). 

• Like 2

Which of Bruce's completed films was the best?

I'll do the Nora Miao test.

The Big Boss -check

Fist of Fury -check

Way of The Dragon -check

Enter The Dragon -uh oh

Well, I still cannot decide, but I know for sure which one is NOT going be the best in my opinion. :)

• Like 3