Which of Bruce Lee's fully completed films was the best?

Sifu

Which of Bruce's fully completed films was the best?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which of Bruce's fully completed films was the best?

• The Big Boss (1971)
    • Fist of Fury (1972)
    • Way of the Dragon (1972)
    • Enter the Dragon (1973)

sifu iron perm
I wonder if the completed Game of Death would have included any female nudity of some sort, all of the others did.

the lady with the deadly nipples on level 4..

man there was a Combat magazine (with bruce and jackie/best of martial arts artwork) circa 1989 or 1990, it featured a cool article about the mystery ideas of the pagodas, including asamurai chick with two swords..

i wish and hope i can track this magazine one day..my motgher took it from me and ripped it up for being a naughty naughty boy.

http://www.ma-mags.com/Mags/C/C%201990-05%20Cov.jpg

edit..may 1990.

I'm sure it would feature some nudity in the finished version. HK films from this period often had some nudity thrown in, for artistic reasons of course.

Id like to know what kind of idea's Bruce Lee had for Kareem Abdul Jabbar's character. The unusual eyes and light sensitivity suggest he was more than just a giant man on the final level. I think his character name was Mantis? or something along those lines. I used to be really intrigued by the film when I was younger. Since then Ive forgotten a lot of the stuff Ive read regarding G.O.D.

the lady with the deadly nipples on level 4..

man there was a Combat magazine (with bruce and jackie/best of martial arts artwork) circa 1989 or 1990, it featured a cool article about the mystery ideas of the pagodas, including asamurai chick with two swords..

i wish and hope i can track this magazine one day..my motgher took it from me and ripped it up for being a naughty naughty boy.

http://www.ma-mags.com/Mags/C/C%201990-05%20Cov.jpg

edit..may 1990.

Yeah, worse copy and paste job ever lol. It also had Bruce punching a kickboxer but the pic was from his fight with Kareem?!?!?!

They could sell that kind of crap back then because we didn't know any better lol.

sifu iron perm
Yeah, worse copy and paste job ever lol. It also had Bruce punching a kickboxer but the pic was from his fight with Kareem?!?!?!

They could sell that kind of crap back then because we didn't know any better lol.

hahahah nailed right on it, but i want this zine for nostalgia!

hahahah nailed right on it, but i want this zine for nostalgia!

Yeah I don't blame you mate.

I tracked down all the old pre-cert releases of the movies, despite Fist of Fury and Enter the Dragon being the only ones which were uncut, because I had such great memories of renting them in the early eighties.

The wife "But you have it on DVD! You have it on Blu Ray!"

AGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :bigsmile:

Secret Executioner
Yeah I don't blame you mate.

I tracked down all the old pre-cert releases of the movies, despite Fist of Fury and Enter the Dragon being the only ones which were uncut, because I had such great memories of renting them in the early eighties.

The wife "But you have it on DVD! You have it on Blu Ray!"

AGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :bigsmile:

A collector's insanity can't be grasped by everyone. Only fellow collectors understand. :tongue:

A collector's insanity can't be grasped by everyone. Only fellow collectors understand. :tongue:

Too true mate.

Although buying Enter the Dragon on Betamax just so I could get the cast card and Warner booklet did almost lead to divorce :)

sifu iron perm
Too true mate.

Although buying Enter the Dragon on Betamax just so I could get the cast card and Warner booklet did almost lead to divorce :)

damn man! lol

Phantom Dreamer

I still go with Fist of Fury. Since it's technically a period piece, there are really no ugly early '70s clothing visible unlike the other films.

Killer Meteor
I still go with Fist of Fury. Since it's technically a period piece, there are really no ugly early '70s clothing visible unlike the other films.

Aside from those Westerners in the park - who knew fros were fashionable in 1908?

Morgoth Bauglir

I can see Enter the Dragon being considered Lee's best movie, but the remake is better. That reminds me, i still need to see Catholic School Girls in Trouble.

I can see Enter the Dragon being considered Lee's best movie, but the remake is better. That reminds me, i still need to see Catholic School Girls in Trouble.

What remake of ETD??

I would go with The Big Boss. Man, I don't know, there is something about that movie that makes me prefer it over to any other Bruce Lee movie. The soundtrack, the other actors and of course the great performance by Bruce Lee sums it up to a great movie.

The first time I saw Enter the Dragon I thought that it was a worthwile watch but not that of a classic as I expected it to be but as time went on and I revisited the movie it became one of my favourites, too.

But to be honest it is pretty difficult to pick out a favorite movie. Besides Game of Death, which just felt wrong to me, every movie was quite a lot of fun to watch.

Regards,

Cheng Li

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
Non stop Bruce fighting for 90 minutes interspersed with the odd bit of female nudity sounds like a decent film to me.

Way of the Dragon & Fists of Fury did feature at least a scene with female boobs in each. The Big Boss features quite a bit of exposed boobies and other semi-nudity from Marilyn Bautista.

And of course, that goes without mentioning the ever-infamous "last brothel visit" scene. If memory serves me right, the second Thai prostitute showed off her boobs, while Cheng was standing behind the bed, presumably nude. It's in her room where Cheng gets the packet of crackers that he's seen eating at the begging of the final fight.

It's a pity that the scene got cut, since it actually some really interesting character development. Not to mention the nonchalance with which he's eating the crackers as he turns up to the final confrontation seems to jar with the previous scene in the current edit.

Phantom Dreamer
On 12/28/2014 at 8:45 PM, Phantom Dreamer said:

*In 2018, my opinion has not changed.

Public declaration

• Like 2

Fist of the Heavenly Sky

My answer should be fairly obvious, but seeing how Bruce Lee's filmography is rather small, I think the thread title is rather redundant. All of the movies are enjoyable in their own way, and yes, that includes Game of Death. 

Conversely, I do think Enter The Dragon is my least favorite of the batch, and not necessarily because of anything wrong about the movie (although the camera work is definitely objectionable IMO). I feel that the movie's actual value has withered down considerably over the years due to the overbearing efforts of the BL Estate to make it a "pop culture phenomenon" in spite of it being hardly representative of what Bruce was as a creative and individual force.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
34 minutes ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

*In 2018, my opinion has not changed.

Public declaration

I'm pretty sure there's that 70s couple in the park scene lol.

Funnily enough, Game of Death may be my favourite at the moment, because the score and Sammo's fight choreography are both amazing.

• Like 2

Phantom Dreamer
On 3/3/2010 at 12:53 AM, David Rees said:

Found an old Impact magazine where there is an interview with broadcaster Ted Thomas where he talks about Bruce Lee and Dubbing of films.

he says " Back in the late 50's(!) we formed a dubbing company which dubbed over a thousand movies from Chinese into English, it was a torturous job. We learnt by trail and error but became the definitive company, we were the only ones doing it."

Interesting stuff...why would Shaws or any other company want to dub there films into English, surely there wasnt any way they was to know there would be demand years later?

He says of Bruce:

" Everything he did was showbiz. I dont know how he would have faired against some of the great fighters. By fighters i mean guys who can get in there and make a mess of somebody. I rather suspect not too well. I had a little fracas with him once when we we having an argument about boxers vs gung fu men. I said boxer will always wear out gung fu fighters because they are so quick, so he said come on try and hit me, so i hit him!

He didnt move his head which amazed me and he had a cut on his lip. The picture ive got of Bruce is him holding his lip and saying to me you would never do that again because you drop your left shoulder when you hit, i said who doesnt?

He gave a lot of national pride back to the Chinese people, that was a tremendous achievement and that should be his epitaph"

Controversial views but hey, he met the man, interviewed him several times so is entitled to his opinion!

Anyone seen a Bruce Lee movie where Ted Thomas dubs his character's voice?

2 hours ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

Anyone seen a Bruce Lee movie where Ted Thomas dubs his character's voice?

I was under the impression its his voice on the English dubs?, for the VHS/DVD releases, yet to hear what dubs appear on the U.K BR releases. With the exception of Game Of Death, where I think they used anohter voice actor for the Billy Lo part. Sure Thomas dubbed the Billy Lo character for Tower Of Death?.