Which of Bruce Lee's fully completed films was the best?

Sifu

Which of Bruce's fully completed films was the best?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which of Bruce's fully completed films was the best?

• The Big Boss (1971)
    • Fist of Fury (1972)
    • Way of the Dragon (1972)
    • Enter the Dragon (1973)

I've said this before, but I'll say it again. From a filmmaking point of view, Fist of Fury is his best. From a "film fan" point of view, Big Boss is my favorite. I always tell people that what you think is the best and what your favorite is of something don't exactly have to be the same.

It's like I think Casablanca is one of the best films of all time, but it's not exactly one of my favorites... if that makes any sense. The Big Boss is just filled to the brim with a sheer raw intensity lacking from his other films (although Fist is a close second).

I always found Cheng Chao-an to be an intriguing character as well. The guy is painfully shy, quiet, and a bit gullible. But it's like he becomes a completely different person altogether when he fights. Also, notice his reactions after his fights... it's like he comes out of a black out. They become progressively worse, with him realizing his pendant is broken after his first fight, going into somewhat of an emotional shock shortly after killing Hsiao Chiun (despite killing roughly 9 people prior to him), and briefly preparing to beat down a group of cops as they pull him off of Hsiao Mi's dead body... with only Chiao Mei's voice snapping him out of it. He basically had the Rambo mindset of "when you're pushed, killing's as easy as breathing", and maybe even a bit of his post traumatic stress disorder :P

You may be one the only filmfans to write what Bruce conveyed about his character in TBB in an interview. What keen insight, having broken down the very interpretation he said he was going for... Once again proving he was ahead of the game in some respects in his approach to playing "The Action Hero".

You may be one the only filmfans to write what Bruce conveyed about his character in TBB in an interview. What keen insight, having broken down the very interpretation he said he was going for... Once again proving he was ahead of the game in some respects in his approach to playing "The Action Hero".

Which interview was this? I had no idea this was how Lee was trying to interpret the character! I think it helped make what could've been a two dimensional have a little more depth. He basically is a "flawed hero", which is another reason why I love the film.

Killer Meteor
Which interview was this? I had no idea this was how Lee was trying to interpret the character! I think it helped make what could've been a two dimensional have a little more depth. He basically is a "flawed hero", which is another reason why I love the film.

I think part of the film's appeal is that Bruce plays a character we can relate to, in a way the overtly chivalrous heroes of other kung fu films at the time lacked. Ditto the appeal of Jackie Chan in Snake In The Eagle's Shadow

Pretty much. He also initially tries to make everyone happy, which is why he gets drunk at the dinner with the manager. He's worried he'll offend them or be out of place if he doesn't drink like everyone else, yet he also planned to go to the dinner to get an answer out of his manager about Hsiu Chien, thus relaying the response to his family to make them happy as well.

But of course, you try to make everyone happy, you usually make everyone pissed. In Chao-an's case, his family wants to throw him out "right on his ear", and his bosses wanted to kill him. Not good :P

Fist Of Boss

Big Boss but only by small margin to ETD and FOF...I found GOD lot more enjoyable than WOTD.

Bruce was not ready to write script&direct.Scenes in alley are great but there is not much to offer.The end of movie I found bit odd..

Bruce breaks neck of helpless CN.Soon after that he tells 2 restaurant workers not to beat asian henchman any more.Did he suddenly find out mercy does exist?

Restaurant worker stabs co-workers,Big Boss shooting his own man and instead of feeling bruces fists of fury he gets arrested...

Bruce was not ready to write script&direct.Scenes in alley are great but there is not much to offer.The end of movie I found bit odd...

This was not a bad director's debut, for the time, and subject matter. Besides, these films were always about the fights anyway. Lee actually brought about more attention to be paid toward story lines, especially after his death.

Bruce breaks neck of helpless CN.

Norris was not helpless, he was a proud WARRIOR, who would not submit, and admit to defeat of this "Country Bumpkin". He rather be killed in action, and Bruce allowed him to die what is considered an heroic death.

Soon after that he tells 2 restaurant workers not to beat Asian henchman any more.

(Did he suddenly find out mercy does exist?)

That again was a contrasting display toward what was typical of HK MA films of the day, showing mercy "... if he gives up". Most films back then left audiences with major bloodshed. ...and, btw, it was before the showdown with Norris.

Restaurant worker stabs co-workers,Big Boss shooting his own man and instead of feeling Bruce's fists of fury he gets arrested...

This was a just way of The Boss and the traitor Uncle getting theirs, allowing the Hero of the film to save face in light of his ignorance as to what was actually happening.

Fist Of Boss

Norris was not helpless, he was a proud WARRIOR, who would not submit, and admit to defeat of this "Country Bumpkin". He rather be killed in action, and Bruce allowed him to die what is considered an heroic death.

I see your points but that "heroic death" stuff works better samurai/old school films.

Fist Of Boss
bruce tells the workers to spare Whang In Sik BEFORE he goes to fight Norris.

Woteva..I did not like movie.Without those corny stranger in strange land sketches film would be bit superior but still his weakest IMO.

Thing he got better of CN just changing rhythm did not look very convincing either.

For each his own and I get enjoyment from most BL clones more than from WOTD.

My vote goes to Fist of Fury it have some rely great fights, story is good and Bruce`s acting is excellent.

Second is Enter the Dragon probably because it is first Bruce Lee movie that i saw it have usual story, there are no so great like in Fist of Fury but most of the are OK also i never liked Jim Kelly`s death.

Third is The Big Boss: Good thing about this one is great story it is rely unusual and original i also like Ice Factory fight rely much, but there are some bad things when Bruce jumps over the cage etc... also when James Tien died i cried.

And number 4 is Way of the Dragon. I never liked this one so much story is not so great, fights are mostly with nunchackus and i don`t like that too much. Doze of humor in that movie is nice also fight with Chuck Norris rules.

Thats for me

Fang Shih-yu
My vote goes to Fist of Fury...Second is Enter the Dragon...Third is The Big Boss...And number 4 is Way of the Dragon.

This is also my thinking, though my ranking would separate each of these by very slight margins, that is how good ALL these films are! Jim Kelly's death in "EtD" was a mistake! If John Saxon's character perished, instead, a finale with Bruce and Jim taking out Han's men would've been MORE visually exciting than what we're familiar with, good as THAT is!:wink:

nhienphan2808

As everyone said, Big Boss is a detonator, and then Fist of Fury is the explosion [Mao Tse Tung loved it to tears and death, too], and then he is the craziest maniac there ever was in MA films with Enter The Dragon, but i felt straight in love with Bruce for Way of The Dragon. Love everything about it. The tight, simple plot, the "thusness" of the real Bruce [character, fights, futher autobiograghical elements, a bit of the soundtrack...], the comedy, the excellent music....

Only Jim Kelly has great lines in Enter, just because he is more Bruce than Bruce's boring "Lee" character.Everyone has theit lines in Way.

"Eggs."

"Chinese spare rips."

"Hurry up and pick up everybody, hummmm!!"

"Bod's my student."

"Money will buy cooperatiton."

"Yeeees, A-ME-RI-CA."

And more..... I feel so happy each time i watch it.

OpiumKungFuCracker

DAMN!!! Fist Of Fury with 54% of the votes!! I too voted for FOF, he was just beating up people mercilessly and when you think about it, it's almost like one of those slasher movies where the boogie man keeps coming and coming...

This is also my thinking, though my ranking would separate each of these by very slight margins, that is how good ALL these films are! Jim Kelly's death in "EtD" was a mistake! If John Saxon's character perished, instead, a finale with Bruce and Jim taking out Han's men would've been MORE visually exciting than what we're familiar with, good as THAT is!:wink:

You know they were not going to kill the WHITE MAN!

He was gonna survive no matter what... If they did that, the fear is no one would show up for box office receipts.

Man... You come right out of a comic book!

:bigsmile:

Secret Executioner

Fist Of Fury heads and shoulders above the rest.

Second would be either Enter The Dragon or Big Boss. Way Of The Dragon is last, and far behind.

All the Bruce Lee films hold fond memories for me from growing up. I enjoy watching them all but they were very poorly made. Would we be talking about Enter The Dragon today if Bruce Lee hadn't been involved?. Warner only gave them a T.V movie budget to make the film. This is because they didn't want to risk loosing out if the film flopped. But because the budgets of his HK film were so low ETD still looked like a blockbuster film in comparison. I think if he had lived and gone to make films in the U.S, his earlier films would have just become curiosities. He would have gone onto make much better produced films in my opinion.

For me it's Enter the Dragon.

The project was made for him and his choreography peaked. That is what he wanted to be known for. Expressing the essence of his art like no one else could.

The cavern fight completed him and it's his career in microcosm. Beautiful kicking, western boxing, wing chun, bo, escrima and nunchaku. While the Norris showdown is his best one on one, the cavern fight is his best piece of work. A masterpiece.

I personally like Way of The Dragon the best.

My guilty pleasure (and not completely a Bruce Lee film) is Game of Death 2 aka Tower of Death.

Don't kill me!

For me it's Enter the Dragon.

The project was made for him and his choreography peaked. That is what he wanted to be known for. Expressing the essence of his art like no one else could.

The cavern fight completed him and it's his career in microcosm. Beautiful kicking, western boxing, wing chun, bo, escrima and nunchaku. While the Norris showdown is his best one on one, the cavern fight is his best piece of work. A masterpiece.

The cavern sequence is his best action set piece sdog2006. There's some great choreography in the rest of the film too. I love his fight with Whang In Sik in WOTD too.

G.O.D 2 features some great fight scenes, they should have been showcased in a better way without the Bruce Lee connection/exploitation elements. That film introduced me to the skills of Hwang Jang Lee & Yuen Woo Ping so its not all that bad in my eyes. Tong Long didn't do a bad job as Bobby Lo either.

Morgoth Bauglir
I personally like Way of The Dragon the best.

My guilty pleasure (and not completely a Bruce Lee film) is Game of Death 2 aka Tower of Death.

Don't kill me!

Most people here agree that it's a good flick. So don't worry, you won't be killed. But if you ever dress up in lion costume and try to kill me, I will defend myself.

The cavern sequence is his best action set piece sdog2006. There's some great choreography in the rest of the film too. I love his fight with Whang In Sik in WOTD too.

G.O.D 2 features some great fight scenes, they should have been showcased in a better way without the Bruce Lee connection/exploitation elements. That film introduced me to the skills of Hwang Jang Lee & Yuen Woo Ping so its not all that bad in my eyes. Tong Long didn't do a bad job as Bobby Lo either.

Hey Mate

Totally agree with you on both counts. I do think Bruce could have made Whang In Sik appear"slightly" more formidable but he was always guilty of focusing on himself. If I remember correctly, he doesn't get hit in WOTD until the Norris fight (not including the slaps from the boss).

The only thing I would say about GOD2 is that it came along 6-7 years after ETD so choreography is much more advanced at that point. The cavern fight was a revelation in 1973 and still hasn't dated a jot.