Which of Bruce Lee's fully completed films was the best?

Sifu

Which of Bruce's fully completed films was the best?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which of Bruce's fully completed films was the best?

• The Big Boss (1971)
    • Fist of Fury (1972)
    • Way of the Dragon (1972)
    • Enter the Dragon (1973)

The Amazing Psycho Per
... on these problems with the ETD script.

Then again, no one cares...

Well it's too easy to pick on scripts problems in a kung fu flick! Come on!

*The racist script, making the Black man an over-sexed, loudmouth, cockey, hasty, fugitive... Plus, once again, he dies first...

*The Caucasian man a gambling, untrustworthy, indecisive, eccentric...

*The Chinese man non-sexual(LOL), single-minded, and lackey for "The Establishment: (...I guess I won't need anything... If there's any trouble, you "The Establishment" make a phone call...?)...

I don't think it's racism, feels more like stereotype to me and that's a big difference.

I still think ETD is a superior Bruce Lee flick and by far my favorite. But then again I'm not the biggest Bruce fan, and I find his other movies to be quite slow... And don't give me that plot crap.

FOF is taking this poll by storm. There's no chance now :D I make it sound like the film's gonna disappear.

chen lung

TBB purely because it's his only 'ordinary' and 'proper' film that carried out the story and avoided any conflicts between emotions, even though it was clumsily handled occasionally - just an overall sadness. Wang Fu Ling's score highlightens it when he's grieving and carries out his anger appropriately (well, 70% of the time).

Of course, all of his films had it's points:

To me, TWOTD at the end had summed up a fighter's intent on winning that led to a sad demise. After 'Colt' is killed, what Tang Lung carries out as a sign of respect always gets me emotionally. Clumsily made, but it's point and the raw combat carried out is crystal.

FOF contains it's 'Stand-up for yourselves, Chinese!' concept, one that many admire (a reason why the film tends to dominate any debate). I, otherwise can't stand the film.

Although incomplete, the GOD footage shows a constant interactive response (both philosophically and spiritually) to any movement carried out - that's attached to the unfilmed plot of kidnap and being forced to travel to the pagoda.

ETD seems to be a combination of the qualities FOF, GOD and TWOTD had. US made and a classic, even if it does pong a little.

IMO, all of his films have unique attributes and I don't care for all that "who would win" stuff as I know the qualities he brought to us.

Chinatown Kid

I remember reading an interview with brandon Lee and he was asked which one of his dad's movies was his favorite. Brandon replied that Way of the Dragon was his favorite because out of all his films that film had the most of his dad in it as it was Bruce's baby all the way. He had total control of the project because he wrote, directed and choreographed the fights. I feel the same.

FOF contains it's 'Stand-up for yourselves, Chinese!' concept, one that many admire (a reason why the film tends to dominate any debate). I, otherwise can't stand the film.

Why not?! It's got that epic quality to it, the Japanese Dojo scene alone made the film. It has alot going for it despite some problems.

chen lung
Why not?! It's got that epic quality to it, the Japanese Dojo scene alone made the film. It has alot going for it despite some problems.

Well, you've kinda said it yourself - "despite some problems" ;).

One example: Bruce is really hell bent on avenging his master one minute, yet he finds time to do Jerry Lewis impressions during the telephone-repair scene.

Yes, it is an epic film and I do see it's purpose (despite it's hacked "God-damn Japanese!" theme), but people milk about how good it is too far without considering some of it's crappyness. Think it could have been far better and I just can't stand it. You cannot blend comedy and seriousness together.

Anyway, I'm not going to argue - opinion is opinion :).

For people's reference when they think Lo Wei always put down the Japanese, he does favour them half-way through in 'Seaman No 7' (despite the start) - if you know what I mean :).

Killer Meteor

I think Fist of Fury is the best

But as to my favourite, I'm voting Big Boss. Bruce's character is his most likeable, he interacts well with the cast, and the pacing is much better then the others - Fist would be damned near perfect if they cut out the Lo Wei scenes!

Plus you get a choice of 4 different scores. How cool is that???

I'm not going to argue - opinion is opinion :)

I wasn't arguing, you didn't hear me say "Your wrong for thinking that!" I was just asking why, you have a UNIQUE opinion, it was strange to me only because most people feel Fist of Fury is the quintessential Bruce flick.

But I definitely see your point, imagine that film without him! It wouldn't be good AT ALL! They relied on him, which is not really good, but his furious brutality and charisma is what put the film right over the top in my mind.

chen lung
I wasn't arguing, you didn't hear me say "Your wrong for thinking that!" I was just asking why, you have a UNIQUE opinion, it was strange to me only because most people feel Fist of Fury is the quintessential Bruce flick.

You emphasised it with "?!" which suggested you were arguing, but ok :).

But I definitely see your point, imagine that film without him! It wouldn't be good AT ALL! They relied on him, which is not really good, but his furious brutality and charisma is what put the film right over the top in my mind.

That's true as well.

I just thought too many people thought so highly of the film, and I voiced my take :). Don't get me wrong, I can see why people think highly of it.

Fist would be damned near perfect if they cut out the Lo Wei scenes!

Do you not mean the scenes Lo Wei didn't cut:p?

greenbamboo

Well i watch a Bruce Lee film for his fight scenes so my pick is Way of the Dragon. His fight scenes v Bob Wall and Chuck haven't been surpassed.

thehangman

Fist of fury best overall,have asoftspot for enter the dragon tho as it was the 1st Bruce Lee film i saw when i was a kid.

Would of liked him 2 have had a proper fight with Whang ing Shik in way of the Dragon considering how amazing he looked in the Young Master.

Would of liked him 2 have had a proper fight with Whang ing Shik in way of the Dragon considering how amazing he looked in the Young Master.

Agreed, he got a rubbish role in TWOTD.

My eyes actually opened up when he kicked some serious arse at the end in 'Hapkido' (sorry, I gave a spoiler that there is an end:D!). Angela was not bad, especially for a female fighter of that era. Ji Han Jae was cool too, but wasn't given a ****load to do.

Meh:(...

Lam and Chan were also in Fist of Fury. My brother nicknamed Chan's character in Fist of Fury "Color Me Badd" because he looked one of the members of the late 80's-early 90's boy band. Lam was only in the film for a minute as a Japanese who gets beat by Bruce.

Fist of Fury was also my favorite of the bunch. It is one of the first films to start the whole Sino-Japanese war on screen (China vs. Japan, Kung Fu vs. Karate), a major thematic rivalry of the 70's, and Bruce gave out his best performance in this film IMO, despite his off-screen rivalry with director Lo Wei.

Magnificent Ruffian

My vote goes for Fist of Fury hands down. The scene where the guard doesn't want to let him into the park unless on all fours is incredible.

kungfusamurai

I like Way of the Dragon because of the finale. Story-wise, Chinese Connection/Fist Of Fury is better, but the fights in Way are much better. I wish Clouse had filmed the fights better in Enter The Dragon. I would have voted for that one had it looked better.

KFS

we have a whopping 4 movies to choose from lol.

my pick is fists of fury. big boss was to simple (his first one), and way of the dragon had too many goofy elements. Bruce didn't come off well as a goofy guy.

FOF had the whole package - choreo, theme, policitics, acting. just a great package of what Bruce had to offer.

we have a whopping 4 movies to choose from lol.

my pick is fists of fury. big boss was to simple (his first one), and way of the dragon had too many goofy elements. Bruce didn't come off well as a goofy guy.

FOF had the whole package - choreo, theme, policitics, acting. just a great package of what Bruce had to offer.

Actually I thought Bruce Lee did a great job as the country naive bumpkin with fighting skills. Way of the dragon definitely showed that Bruce could tackle any role, given this movie came after chinese connection where his role was so serious and emotional driven. But I voted for Chinese connection because the acting from the entire cast was on point and so were the fights.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again. From a filmmaking point of view, Fist of Fury is his best. From a "film fan" point of view, Big Boss is my favorite. I always tell people that what you think is the best and what your favorite is of something don't exactly have to be the same.

It's like I think Casablanca is one of the best films of all time, but it's not exactly one of my favorites... if that makes any sense. The Big Boss is just filled to the brim with a sheer raw intensity lacking from his other films (although Fist is a close second).

I always found Cheng Chao-an to be an intriguing character as well. The guy is painfully shy, quiet, and a bit gullible. But it's like he becomes a completely different person altogether when he fights. Also, notice his reactions after his fights... it's like he comes out of a black out. They become progressively worse, with him realizing his pendant is broken after his first fight, going into somewhat of an emotional shock shortly after killing Hsiao Chiun (despite killing roughly 9 people prior to him), and briefly preparing to beat down a group of cops as they pull him off of Hsiao Mi's dead body... with only Chiao Mei's voice snapping him out of it. He basically had the Rambo mindset of "when you're pushed, killing's as easy as breathing", and maybe even a bit of his post traumatic stress disorder :P

• Like 1

Killer Meteor

I always found Cheng Chao-an to be an intriguing character as well. The guy is painfully shy, quiet, and a bit gullible. But it's like he becomes a completely different person altogether when he fights. Also, notice his reactions after his fights... it's like he comes out of a black out. They become progressively worse, with him realizing his pendant is broken after his first fight, going into somewhat of an emotional shock shortly after killing Hsiao Chiun (despite killing roughly 9 people prior to him), and briefly preparing to beat down a group of cops as they pull him off of Hsiao Mi's dead body... with only Chiao Mei's voice snapping him out of it. He basically had the Rambo mindset of "when you're pushed, killing's as easy as breathing", and maybe even a bit of his post traumatic stress disorder :P

Amazing, that is 100% how I feel about the film and the character!

• Like 1

Amazing, that is 100% how I feel about the film and the character!

Glad to see I'm not the only one :P The film never blatantly says it, but one of those old school Hong Kong photobooks of the film says that Chao-an's father was killed in a fight, and is the main reason why his mother makes him promise never to fight... but it could also be because she knows just how much of a threat he could be to others and not just the threats others could be to him. The movie's got more "layers" than it's given credit for XD

• Like 1