Pedicab Driver (1989) - Sammo's Best Movie?

Guest Hermeskungfu

pedicab has it all, comedy, drama and hardcore action, one of samo best movies for sure, i remember when eastern heroes showed this in london the crowd was going so mad at that end fight you couldnt even hear the movie.

Guest will91XingYu

I still havent seen Pedicab Driver! I have seen the end fight and that is amazing, why were Sammo's fights so damm short! Was Eddie Meher his trainer for Eastern Condors?

Guest mark187

are we talking Sammo Hung directed or Sammo Hung acted, or both? regardless of that, Pedicab Driver is certainly one of his better films, as is The Prodigal Son. another couple of his best in my opinion are Wheels On Meals, Eastern Condors, Dragons Forever. obviously some of those are choices made for the fact that he directed them even though he didn't play the lead role in the film. as for the films where he gives some of his best acting performances, Heart of Dragon and SPL.

whoops, forgot Millionaires' Express too! there's too many great Sammo films to pick one favorite!

5 Element Boxer

Pedicab Driver is an entertaining movie. I'll give it that. But Sammo's best film? Nah. Pedicab Driver felt like a filler movie to me. That scene where he takes on Lau Kar Leung is definitely one of my favorites. And that's pretty much the only reason why I'll pop it in my DVD player. That, and the final fight at the end. That's it.

Although Sammo's fight against LKL is truly amazing and one of my favourite fights of all time, I 'm not that crazy about the whole movie.

As for Sammo's best... It's impossible to pick just one, he's done so many films i like..

I like Eastern condors a lot more than PD

Guest Carter Wong

is there a version besides that bullshit burned on subs version? i have it and tried to watch

it new from the bullshit panmedia version 6 months ago and couldnt stand it. are there

any hopes for this to be released re-mastered this century?

Guest FrankyLau

there are not many better movies from Sammo than PD..

besides the fight scenes the movie also delivers a close to character atmo..

the story is well told and the bad guy is really a bad guy..nice performance from John Sham..i really hated him in PD..

prodigal son,enter tha fat dragon,magnificent butcher are up there with PD:D

Guest GhostFaceKiller

I totally agree. Magnificent Butcher is Sammo's best movie. Cool to see a good movie about Hung Style. I'm always annoyed to see Jet Li playing Wong Fei Hung in Once Upon A Time in China while flying around on wires doing wushu. Sammo showed some solid 5 Animals/ 5 Elements.

Guest GhostFaceKiller

Oh man, I just remembered a couple more. Dirty Tiger, Crazy Frog has some amazing fight sequences with him and Lau Kar Wing. Also Eternal Conflict has possibly the best weapons fights ever put to film, again with Sammo vs. Lau Kar Wing. And "Beardy" Leung Kar Yan gets in on the action too. Those are two sweet films.

Dirty Tiger is good but to me it has always been overshadowed by Odd Couple. Everything seemed so much more refreshing and besides the final fight in Dirty Tiger with the three sectional staff, Odd Couple was a way superior movie in every which way.

As for as Pedicab Driver, not Sammo's best but when you think of his best movies in general it usually comes into discussion. Definitely one of his films where it is "quality" over "quantity". It has 2 classic fights and that's all it needed.

Guest massa_yoda

Ok so i've never quite understood why PD is considered the best thing ever. It does have three good fights scenes. The fight with Lau Kar Leung is great, but what does it have to do with the story? Does LKL show up later and i just didn't catch it on my (crappy) version of the film? It also seemed uneven, which i guess is a standand, but this one seemed way uneven, ranging from hardcore goofy (florescent lightsabers) to hardcore drama. Anyways, Shanghai (Millionare's) Express really delivered for me, great build up of sub-plots leading to an awesome finale. Eastern Condors also had a lot of elements i liked. That is my 1 and 2. Magnificent Butcher probably 3.

Guest shelliegal

OK, so I'm kidding.... it's Eastern Condors.

i think so too. i've probably watch eastern condors a million times. it doesn't hurt that yuen biao's in it.

5 Element Boxer
Dirty Tiger, Crazy Frog has some amazing fight sequences with him and Lau Kar Wing. Also Eternal Conflict has possibly the best weapons fights ever put to film, again with Sammo vs. Lau Kar Wing. And "Beardy" Leung Kar Yan gets in on the action too. Those are two sweet films.

Yes! Sammo and Lau Kar Wing were amazing that film. Definitely one of my favorite Sammo movies.

The Victim is way up there for me too, as well as Warriors Two. Then there's Odd Couple and Eastern Condors, of course, which are both great films from Sammo.

Guest sammofan

Personally I do think Pedicab Driver is Sammo's best film. Even if the fight scenes had been mediocre it would still be a great film because everything else is superb. The directing, story, acting, characterisations, soundtrack, cinematography, set design etc. are all excellent in my opinion. The fantastic action is just the icing on the cake. All these things make it one of the best made films in any genre from the golden age of Hong Kong cinema.

I just feel that Sammo put alot more heart, care and effort into this film and for me it shows. His acting when he arrives too late to save his newlywed friends is the best he's ever done in my opinion. That scene brought tears to my eyes the first time I saw it!

Whenever someone asks me what's my favourite film, my answer is Pedicab Driver! :)

Guest rederror

I didnt care much for Dirty Tiger crazy frog but have only seen it once a long time ago. Odd couple has amazing fight sequences but i think Magnificent Butcher has evetything a Kung Fu movie needs...well revenge really. I love Pedicab driver though. Basically he has made some of the best Kung Fu movies ever, even his less action packed movies like Paper Marriage for example are very entertaining.