Shaw Brothers original Aspect Ratio?

Guest Neo

Back-in-the-day when shaw brothers used to have all these movies coming out left and right..

Back in HK, In the theatres.. how where the movies all Originally displayed (in the theatres)?

I assume it was a "Widescreen format". In a way im wondering if Celestial-IVL decided to crop

the original 35mm prints and what we are seeing when we watch the movies is a cropped version

(if it was fullscreen) or is it really the original presentation. Im assuming it is the original presentation

and back then it was just as we are seeing it now ''Widescreen". What's the story guys?

Back then all televisions were Fullscreen, even today in the USA most of them still are, so it

really makes me wonder. That Question has been on my mind for like 2 months lol...

any help?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were widescreen when originally shown. They were cropped, like most movies at that time, when they were shown on TV or came out on video.

Guest Winfred

When Patty Keung was with Celestial, she emailed me to explain that Celestial has to slightly enlarge the image and crop the top and bottom due to damage of the negatives. The edges of the negatives were spoilt by adhesive tape. This is evident in the original trailers too.

Archived