Ti Lung and Lau Kar Leung

Guest kungfusamurai

Guest kungfusamurai

One thing I just realized is that these two never worked together in a film where Lau was the director, with the exception of Ti Lung's cameo (uncredited?) at the beginning of Spiritual Boxer. Was there any rumors of bad blood between these two? I can't imagine with both of them on the same studio lot, that they never had an opportunity to work together again. Even David Chiang did a movie with Lau (I say 'even' because Chiang and Lung were part of that older group of Shaw faves that passed the torch onto Fu Sheng, Gordon Liu, and The Venoms). And it's not like Ti Lung moved on from straight kung fu flicks to work in the swordplay wuxia genre, as later films like Kung Fu Instructor, Avenging Eagle and Shaolin Prince can attest.

KFS

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 Element Boxer

They worked together a little bit in Legend of Drunken Master starring Jackie Chan. But that was just a small little fight. I wish it were longer.

5 Element Boxer

Who knows. It's a shame though, as Ti Lung would've been magical under Lau Kar Leung's choreography. But didn't Ti Lung star, or have a cameo, in at least one of Lau Kar Leung's films?

Guest kungfusamurai
Who knows. It's a shame though, as Ti Lung would've been magical under Lau Kar Leung's choreography. But didn't Ti Lung star, or have a cameo, in at least one of Lau Kar Leung's films?

I think Ti Lung would have been amazing under Lau. He just did that intro cameo in Spiritual Boxer, that was it. He could have made a nice baddie.

KFS

There was a report that Ti Lung fell into a bout of alcoholism, and was maybe not high on LKL's list at the time. Who knows? Ti was certainly one of the best.

I think Ti Lung would have been amazing under Lau. He just did that intro cameo in Spiritual Boxer, that was it. He could have made a nice baddie.

KFS

yeah like Ti Lung never appeared on movie with LKL choreography:tongue:..they worked together in many cc directed movies...but yes I get what you mean and there is another interesting issue since fu sheng started to appear in lkl movies he was not seen anymore in CC flicks..

• Administrator
There was a report that Ti Lung fell into a bout of alcoholism, and was maybe not high on LKL's list at the time. Who knows? Ti was certainly one of the best.

I was thinking the same thing. Fortunately, I heard that he got sober, and beat that demon.

His scene in TIGER ON THE BEAT is a favorite of mine. It was cool seeing him give the young upstart Conan Lee (both his character, and Lee for real) a bit of a lesson in manners. I kept wishing that Chow's character would recruit Ti's to help again later in the film, but no dice.

I was thinking the same thing. Fortunately, I heard that he got sober, and beat that demon.

His scene in TIGER ON THE BEAT is a favorite of mine. It was cool seeing him give the young upstart Conan Lee (both his character, and Lee for real) a bit of a lesson in manners. I kept wishing that Chow's character would recruit Ti's to help again later in the film, but no dice.

was it punch up in bar?I dun recall much of that one,remember though liu chia hui performs some kind wicked kick where leap from wall...

I like Ti Lung's post CC years just fine, Ti Lung not working with LKL as a main actor doesn't bother me at all. LKL films outside a few Gordon Liu classics is not my taste at all.

I like Ti Lung's post CC years just fine, Ti Lung not working with LKL as a main actor doesn't bother me at all. LKL films outside a few Gordon Liu classics is not my taste at all.

I agree to that....Heroes of the east and challenge of the masters are likely my favs lkl directed...when Gordon Liu not starring his movies rarely appear to me,excluding masterpiece shaolin mantis.

And not even gordon always save movie I did not like legendary weapons or return to 36th chamber.in disciple he had very small role but that movie sucked too...

• Administrator
was it punch up in bar?I dun recall much of that one,remember though liu chia hui performs some kind wicked kick where leap from wall...

Yeah, Ti Lung's character owns a bar, and the cops go in to ask him for information. He's Chow's friend, so Chow is being very respectful, but Conan starts mouthing off about "Old guys" and they have a breif, but cool skirmish.

That kick by Gordon that you mentioned was great. But I'll always think of him having that chainsaw duel with Conan. That scene really rocked. :bigsmile:

Yeah, Ti Lung's character owns a bar, and the cops go in to ask him for information. He's Chow's friend, so Chow is being very respectful, but Conan starts mouthing off about "Old guys" and they have a breif, but cool skirmish.

That kick by Gordon that you mentioned was great. But I'll always think of him having that chainsaw duel with Conan. That scene really rocked. :bigsmile:

I need to get that movie.HKL version not too hard or expensive to get hold of:bigsmile:

• Administrator
I need to get that movie.HKL version not too hard or expensive to get hold of:bigsmile:

That's definitely the version to get.

Most of Gordon's kicking in TOB was done by Hung Yan Yan, If I remember correctly!

Think your right bro. But without checking it I didn't want to take away from Gordon's credit. It's easy to see where he's doubled though, as with that fuzzyhair, and that uniquely shaped head of his, it's hard not to see the difference in the double.

Think your right bro. But without checking it I didn't want to take away from Gordon's credit. It's easy to see where he's doubled though, as with that fuzzyhair, and that uniquely shaped head of his, it's hard not to see the difference in the double.

So...are venom guys only@shaws who did not need stuntmen to do more agile movements?I think chen kuan tai,wang lung wei,david chiang and many others are doubled.But that was news to me Gordon had doppelganger too...

• Administrator
So...are venom guys only@shaws who did not need stuntmen to do more agile movements?I think chen kuan tai,wang lung wei,david chiang and many others are doubled.But that was news to me Gordon had doppelganger too...

Gordon wasn't doubled much, but it did happen- some bits of the three-piece staff scene in HEROES OF THE EAST for instance. In moviemaking it's not about stroking an individual performer's ego. It's about making the best movie, and utilizing all the tricks of the trade to create the illusion that you need to tell the story.

I'm pretty sure that even the venom's crew were ocassionally doubled (though rarely). Sometimes by each other I believe.

I'm pretty sure that even the venom's crew were ocassionally doubled (though rarely). Sometimes by each other I believe.

noooooooo,for gods sake those guys were able to do all movements required:tongue:.

Well "in master" I think it was not chen kuan tai in bar scene beginning of movie in some leaps.not wang lung wei either but stuntman.

• Administrator
noooooooo,for gods sake those guys were able to do all movements required:tongue:.

Well "in master" I think it was not chen kuan tai in bar scene beginning of movie in some leaps.not wang lung wei either but stuntman.

I can't cite an example off-hand, but I'm pretty sure it happened.

Yes, thosetwo were often doubled for acrobatic stuff. And Wang was doubled quite a bit in the finale of MARTIAL CLUB too. Judging by the build of the double, I'd guess it was Hsiao Ho. But it's only a guess.

Gordon wasn't doubled much, but it did happen- some bits of the three-piece staff scene in HEROES OF THE EAST for instance. In moviemaking it's not about stroking an individual performer's ego. It's about making the best movie, and utilizing all the tricks of the trade to create the illusion that you need to tell the story.

I'm sure Chui, Feng and Sheng could do their own stunts, Feng probably being the lesser acrobatic out of the two but still very agile as proved in The Daredevils, I bet he got doubled by one of the other two somewhere in there.

I can't cite an example off-hand, but I'm pretty sure it happened.

Yes, thosetwo were often doubled for acrobatic stuff. And Wang was doubled quite a bit in the finale of MARTIAL CLUB too. Judging by the build of the double, I'd guess it was Hsiao Ho. But it's only a guess.

Hsiao Ho was the equivalent of Yuen Biao, I wonder how many actors these guys doubled through the years.

I agree to that....Heroes of the east and challenge of the masters are likely my favs lkl directed...when Gordon Liu not starring his movies rarely appear to me,excluding masterpiece shaolin mantis.

And not even gordon always save movie I did not like legendary weapons or return to 36th chamber.in disciple he had very small role but that movie sucked too...

Can you imagine if LKL directed Avenging Eagle instead of Sun Chung? He would of cast himself as the Leader instead of Ku Feng, instead of Iron Claws he would of used a traditional Kung Fu Weapon, he probably would of cast Hsiao Hou or Wang Yu for comic relief, have them prance around like monkeys, and at the end, instead of a dramatic death for Ti Lung and the Leader, they all would of hugged and sang thats what friends are for.

Can you imagine if LKL directed Avenging Eagle instead of Sun Chung? He would of cast himself as the Leader instead of Ku Feng, instead of Iron Claws he would of used a traditional Kung Fu Weapon, he probably would of cast Hsiao Hou or Wang Yu for comic relief, have them prance around like monkeys, and at the end, instead of a dramatic death for Ti Lung and the Leader, they all would of hugged and sang thats what friends are for.

jesus christ:squigglemouth:....

Archived