Pursuit and Village of Tigers?

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Anyone seen either of these two films? They look pretty cool for old school. I have Pursuit on VHS from years ago, but only watched it once, for lack of being able to read the subs. I thought it was kinda slow then, but my standards may have been a little less appreciative of Shaws way back then.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Von Humboldt Fleischer

PURSUIT is a bit of a slow one. Kind of along the lines of ALL MEN ARE BROTHERS, really. Actually I think it's part of the whole WATER MARGIN series. I've never seen VILLAGE OF TIGERS, but I remember seeing a cool poster of it somewhere in which Yueh Hua is striking a badass pose with a huge sword.

Guest SadShawFan

PURSUIT is indeed a part of the Water Margin/All Men are Brothers cycle:

Like Ti Lung in "Delightful Forest" the character of Yueh Hua and his reason to join the outlaws at Liang Shan Po are described and introduced. The story revolves around a noble regional leader of the Imperial armed forces who, because his wife is lusted after by the son of a corrupt high ranking official, gets framed, outlawed and on a death list. But with the help of a able fighter who poses as a monk (a fantastic Fan Mei Sheng) he retaliates, overcomes all odds and rids the province of the baddies but has to leave as he becomes a wanted criminal aginst the state.

VILLAGE OF TIGERS is yet another Yueh Hua yarn but has its place in the category of the worthy films of the early 70ies. Shu Pei Pei plays the swordswoman who gets to close for comfort with some evil clan which lusts after power, domination, riches and murder. Yueh once again steps in as the chivalrous knight who has some secret agenda of his own.

If you are a fan of the 70ies swordsplay movies and if you love colourful sets, nice stories and some action then both are a sure bet and should be purchased.

Here is some visual goodie in advance:

17728230la2.jpg

Thanks SadShawFan. I think it's great Yueh Hua's character from The Water Margin is given the same respect Ti Lung's was given.

Guest peringaten

Yueh Hua stated in interview, Pursuit is one of his personal favourites from the roles and films he worked on at Shaws. Thinking there was room for improvement and the like on his work in Come Drink With Me and most others, etc., apparently Pursuit he likes; is rather fond of. Works for me. If good enough for the man himself to think one of his best, then more than enough to peak my curiosity. Definitely gonna splurge.

Guest kungfuzombie

Less then a week till the next batch. What's the word on these? Pursuit looks promising - early 70's Cheng Kang. Village is Yueh Feng - could be nice. What do you experts say? I'm taking a wild guess Asia-Pol, Flight Man, and Moods of Love are not for me.

Guest Winfred

It is Flight Man that I can't wait to see as it is an ultra-rare flick. There's lots of action as Ivy Ling Po and Wang Jung battle the Japs.

Archived