Invisible Target (2007)

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I thought it was lousy. Then again, it was another movie for HK pretty boys to play "Kung Fu." Why wouldn't it be lousy?

Jaycee has all of his dad's corniness without any of the credentials.

i think the last fight was supposed 2 be dominated by Wu Jing....it wasnt supposed to be him getting beat physically i believe....

that's what i got out of it too, Wu Jing was supposed to be so badass that it took 3 pretty boys just and some fortuitous coincidence to take him down. I was actually rooting for him throughout the whole movie, he was the most entertaining part imo. I was clapping when he exploded from the roof of the minivan and fed the cop his own bullets.

^^ hell yea

and i was touched when jaycee chan handcuffed his leg and got beat 2 death....that was a very good part in the film imo...i dun understand why people didnt like it but o well...i loved it

It was a HK version of a Michael Bay film, the fight in the bar was good but that's about it, the rest was mainly explosions and Wu Jing being unstoppably badass.

I haven't seen this movie but if it's just to show how badass Wu Jing is, then what's the point of Legendary Assassin, which I also heard is all about showing how badass Wu Jing is?

masterofoneinchpunch

Here's something I quickly wrote on my feelings on the film:

Invisible Target (2007: HK: **½/**** maybe ***/****): Benny Chan has always been the sort of director that has mixed results when he is in the helm. I liked Rob-B-Hood (2006), though that might have had to do more with Jackie Chan, I did not like New Police Story (2004) while I still have Divergence (2005) to see (and his Heroic Duo (2003) and before directorial work). There is much to like in this movie, but everything seems OK to good with not enough inventiveness, excitement, unique story development to make this truly a good film. The characterizations are somewhat stereotypical with the young hellbent officer Chan Chun (Nicholas Tse, Gen-X-Cops, New Police Story) who has lost his fiancée to an explosion six months earlier, an angry young officer Carson Fong (Shawn Yu, Infernal Affairs II) and a straight arrow very young police officer Wai King Ho (played by Jacky Chan's son Jaycee) who's brother has disappeared under undercover assignment. All three of these officers are after Tien Yeng Seng (Wu Jing, SPL, Fatal Contact) who has returned to Hong Kong to retrieve money and exact revenge on those who interfered with his and his gang's robbery six month's earlier.

The action is good, without being great. The lead bad guy played by amazing martial artist Wu Jing is quite fun to watch, though his skills are definitely better than anyone else in this film. The stuntwork is good with some painful stunts by the lead actors (some painful scenes not doubled, though wire work is used; like when Tse gets kicked off a building, hits the branches of a tree, bounces off a truck corner and then hits the ground; he really is hurt during that scene even though wirework was used).

I like the way Benny Chan has incorporated humor into his newer work (definitely thanks to his involvement in Rob-B-Hood) which works as a counterbalance (situational humor not slapstick) to the drama. The movie is a bit overlong for what it tries to accomplish, but it is still interesting without brining anything new to the cop/triad genre.

It was a HK version of a Michael Bay film, the fight in the bar was good but that's about it, the rest was mainly explosions and Wu Jing being unstoppably badass.

Dude, Ya can't say Invisible Target was as bad as Transformers.

okay so Michael Bay vs. Benny Chan. who wins?

Benny Chan. I can think of a few movies by him I kind of like (Gen X Cops I genuinely love). With Michael Bay, I hate every movie of his, except for Transformers. Not that Transformers is a good movie, but I love it. If Michael Bay makes nothing but Transformers movies for the rest of his life, he may beat out Benny Chan.

Bay by miles. He's an idiot savant of this kind of thing, Benny Chan can never compare, if simply because he can never get a budget big enough to even try.

okay so Michael Bay vs. Benny Chan. who wins?

not too sure, although i do know that a Bay / Chan co-production would be very loud with many sweeping crane shots, colour filters and several edits for every minute of action.

In all honesty, they're about equal if you compare directing resumes. They both make entertaining stuff:

Michael Bay

Bad Boys

Bad Boys II

The Rock

Benny Chan

A Moment of Romance (yeah I know, but it's iconic HK cinema)

Big Bullet

Who Am I?

and then they go ahead and drop some steamers:

Michael Bay

Armageddon - I guess if you want to make a girl cry...

Pearl Harbour - So bad that there's a song about how much Bay and this movie suck.

Transformers - Half the movie is a car commercial.

Benny Chan

Gen-X Cops - "You know man, it's people like you who fuck up the world..." LOL. HK stars coming from English speaking countries are always corny.

Gen-Y Cops - If the concept wasn't any good the first time...

New Police Story - Maybe I just hate movies aimed at HK youths?

I don't think either one really rates higher than the other.

TibetanWhiteCrane

The only bad one you mentioned from BC, is Gen- Y Cops!! The others are not masterpieces, but hits their intended mark!

The only bad one you mentioned from BC, is Gen- Y Cops!! The others are not masterpieces, but hits their intended mark!

What mark would that be? If you're referring to profitable mindlessness, I think the same applies to the Michael Bay movies.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Well, it is a matter of taste.... there's really no point in discussing personal taste... although we do, do our best here on KFC!

Im just too tired and indifferent.

Finally saw Invisible Target, Nic Tse does some pretty great stunts and the fight directors makes everyone look as good as they could get. Movie was a little long though.

Bay vs Chan - Hollywood is lame, with all their money and resources it's disappointing when their movies suck. America is supposed to be the best right? The world looks up to what we have accomplished right? Then why does Hollywood with all their money and resources remake foreign films, borrowing ideas and still getting it wrong? HK have far lesser budgets and resources yet still pack a punch and have more balls than your average Hollywood action flick. Who in Hollywood would do that bus stunt that Nic did?

blue_skies
Finally saw Invisible Target, Nic Tse does some pretty great stunts and the fight directors makes everyone look as good as they could get. Movie was a little long though.

Bay vs Chan - Hollywood is lame, with all their money and resources it's disappointing when their movies suck. America is supposed to be the best right? The world looks up to what we have accomplished right? Then why does Hollywood with all their money and resources remake foreign films, borrowing ideas and still getting it wrong? HK have far lesser budgets and resources yet still pack a punch and have more balls than your average Hollywood action flick. Who in Hollywood would do that bus stunt that Nic did?

I saw Invisible target in the last few weeks and even with Wu Jing in it it is a distinctly mediocre film. The action is not bad for Hong Kong pop stars but I wanted to see somebody capable of giving Wu Jing a decent fight. It's all well and good having a great villain but it's really awful when your hero/heroes aren't really good enough combined to beat him. In that sense it reminded me of my disappointment when Jet Li got beaten at the end of Lethal weapon 4.

Michael Bay Vs Benny Chan - having not seen a great deal of Chan's work I would have to say Michael Bay is the victor .

Atherton, that bus stunt was nothing special and I'm sure lots of Hollywood actors would do that nowadays. The stunt crews make sure everything is safe just as they did for Nic.