Invisible Target (2007)

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

TheGrimReaper

@BIGGAME365 - Nicolas Tse $ Shawn Yue - those two were in Dragon Tiger Gate, in New Police Story nicolas is starring against Jackie Chan here is two links on the films these two has starred in:

Shawn Yue - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1284845/

Nicolas Tse - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0874866/

I hope that this will help :)

All the best

I loved this movie! Nicolas Tse is one of my faviroute new action stars, i love his kicks, he was trained by Donnie Yen, it's cool watching the making of DTG see him being taught by Donnie Yen.

The Amazing Psycho Per

I found Invisible target to be a very average effort... The story was very generic for the genre and the fight choreo. was nothing spectacular and missing a standout fight. There were two or three nice stunts (Nicolas tse getting hit by the bus) but nothing to write home about. As far as the comparaison with Flashpoint goes, the final fight between Donnie and Collin Chou is was of the best comitted to screen in recent years, so I tend to prefer Flashpoint even though it suffers from serious pacing problems.

By the way I'd rather watch Dragon Tiger Gate again, instead of Invisible Target. The restaurant fight was great stuff.

The Amazing Psycho Per

TheGrimReaper

Well, for me all the thre movies mentioned above (invisible Target, DTG & Flash Point) are worth watching and all three has some atmosphere and features which makes each of them stand in its own rights as a martial arts movies.

Before, i could only find movies with Jackie Chan, and now I can watch and learn about so many new (and old) martial arts actors... For which I am glad to find so many aspects of my favorites movies, and thus i cherish every moment of each movie in my collection :)

Respect to all martial arts movies fans :)

Cheers !

Yeh i did, but the first half i though was good up until after the fight with Donnie and all those guys with weapons in the baseball field, it's cool to see Yue Hua one of Donnie's stuntmen getting to fight with the three sectioned staff. After that with all the lame special effects and the end fight was a bit dissapointning for me.

I just found out on the upcoming Dragon Dynasty DVD of Invisible Target, the commentary is being done by Bey Logan, Jaycee Chan, Shawn Yue, and Andy On. Nicholas Tse was supposed to do it, but the whole scandal thing forced his management not to confirm him to do it, even though Nic was keen on doing the commentary.

I've always passed on this. Many new films - Dragon Tiger Gate, New Police Story, Flashpoint - didn't do much for me. I'm intrigued by the all the broken glass, though...

I re-watched IT recently and I emjoyed it much more this time. I'd even say it's the best HK action movie in years, better than anything from Jackie or Donnie Yen.

I could overlook all those wire assisted moves, but that extremely FAKE looking sugarglass kept bothering me

Mark Pollard

I realize I may be going against the majority view but INVISIBLE TARGET turned me off like no other film I've watched in a long time. My general frustration with the wrong direction that modern action choreography in Hong Kong is headed came bubbling up. I am curious to know if anyone else feels strongly for or against this movie.

INVISIBLE TARGET review:

http://www.kungfucinema.com/?p=2314

INVISIBLE TARGET (DVD - Dragon Dynasty) review:

http://www.kungfucinema.com/?p=2323

Didn't feel much for the film, in terms of action or plot. It feels strange and out of place in the part where Wu Jing tries to editorialise to Nicholas Tse and gang. Agreed that Philip Ng and Ken Lo were wasted.

I don't understand how the loot got lost.

Anyhow, I wouldn't be so harsh on Nicholas Tse, he's been working very hard and comes off quite decently. Compared to zombies/sleepwalkers like Jay Chou or Vaness Wu, he's miles ahead.

Mark Pollard

With Nick I'm torn because I can see he's putting in a lot of effort into his fighting roles. He's earned my respect for that yet I just cannot get past his limited range of acting and lack of both presence and power. Maybe he just hasn't been paired with the right director yet.

The Running Man

Invisible Target is a great action movie and was the best overall action film since S.P.L.

People who like bottom of the barrel crap like Pit Fighter and Belly of the Beast need not apply.

Killer Meteor
Invisible Target is a great action movie and was the best overall action film since S.P.L.

People who like bottom of the barrel crap like Pit Fighter and Belly of the Beast need not apply.

Charming! Typical rudeness from you Running Man!

A man can like whatever he chooses!

The Running Man

Rudeness? Whatever... Pollard says it's the worst movie to come out from Dragon Dynasty. I suppose I should consider that perhaps he doesn't know they released Dragon Squad?

doug maverick

this movie was crap. it was so loaded down with cliche's it was rediculous. the story was absurd and jaycee should try and stay as far away from action as possible. i gotta agree with mark and say this movie was pure crap.

One Armed Boxer

I have to say as someone who has been visiting this site since it's creation and almost always agree's, and purchases, based on the reviews provided here (with maybe the exception of the review for Hero Of Swallow, which said if you should see one film before you die it should be that one, however thankfully this review wasn't written by Mark and has since thankfully been removed!), I think this is the first time I've disagreed so strongly with the verdict of a film.

Invisible Target for me was a great throwback to authentic Hong Kong action cinema of the 80's. Many of the criticisms of the film you have provided could easily be said of the 80's actioners it is clearly trying to re-capture the feel of, several Jackie Chan films could be described as having a thin story and poorly developed characters, but it doesn't make them any less brilliant, and the same could be applied to the multiple-take criticism you've raised.

I used to show 80's action movies to my friends when attemping to convert them to Hong Kong movies, however so often I would get reactions like "Have you not get anything more modern?"...since Invisible Target came out I've showed it to 3 friends who normally wouldn't give Hong Kong cinema a second look, but they all loved Invisible Target and found the action to be outstanding.

When all we've had for years is crap like Dragon Squad/Heat, Invisible Target is in my eyes a welcome return to people whacking the living daylights out of each other and stunts which actually make you appreciate what performers go through. I've posted a review I wrote of the film back when I first saw it in October last year in the 'Reviews' forum...please feel free to pass comment on my opinions of the film.

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?p=58979#post58979

Mark Pollard
Rudeness? Whatever... Pollard says it's the worst movie to come out from Dragon Dynasty. I suppose I should consider that perhaps he doesn't know they released Dragon Squad?

Oh, I know about DRAGON SQUAD. I would be willing to amend my thought with the clarification that DRAGON SQUAD is arguably just as bad. The difference for me is that INVISIBLE TARGET actively pissed me off whereas the other one was simply dull.

As for PIT FIGHTER and BELLY OF THE BEAST, they're in a different class and were judged accordingly. I factor in budgets, expectations and a whole lot of other elements. It's not fair to filmmakers or fans to put every movie on a level playing field. INVISIBLE TARGET should have been a lot better given the amount of talent and resources that went into it.

At the end of the day, it's still just an opinion and its no more or less valid than yours.

Mark Pollard
Many of the criticisms of the film you have provided could easily be said of the 80's actioners it is clearly trying to re-capture the feel of, several Jackie Chan films could be described as having a thin story and poorly developed characters, but it doesn't make them any less brilliant, and the same could be applied to the multiple-take criticism you've raised.

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?p=58979#post58979

You bring up a good point. Those films were flawed too. One of my all-time favorites in the modern action sphere is RIGHTING WRONGS (aka ABOVE THE LAW). From a purely objective standpoint, if there is such a thing, the film is riddled with faults. Yet I could watch that movie a dozen times and never grow tired of it. I could barely get through INVISIBLE TARGET once. Something about the way the movie is put together rubs me the wrong way.

What I think really turns me off is that Benny Chan does know the classic language of Hong Kong action cinema and reproduces it with a lot of the polish of modern production standards but without the soul. I feel like I'm getting American cheese instead of cheddar or press board instead of oak. Jackie Chan and Yuen Biao in the '80s were actually breaking new ground even if the finished product was a little rough around the edges. Their films had a genuine energy and enthusiasm that drove the movie forward. INVISIBLE TARGET has only the illusion and I kept being reminded of that fact every time glass broke, a stunt actor flew through the air unnaturally or an actor displayed some exaggerated expression on their face while spouting dialogue that makes a Steven Seagal movie script sound meaningful and eloquent.

Regarding multiple takes. Let's be honest about this. Rolling down a single set of stairs does not compare with sliding down a multi-story pole through a series of exploding lights. Nick's leap in front of the bus was more impressive than rolling down stairs. My point about instant replays is that what a filmmaker is showing twice better be impressive because they're basically telling the audience that they think it is.

Hey Mark, I read your post about Philip Ng being wasted and have no fear. Philip is currently in India of all places, shooting his first lead role, the martial arts actioner HANDS OF THE DRAGON. He plays a HK cop who is left for dead only to return with a new ID and going after the creeps who nearly killed him. Not only is this Ng's first lead role, but Ng himself is the film's action director. So I have a pretty good feeling he is finally going to show what he's got.

Here's his official blog: http://www.alivenotdead.com/philipng

Mark Pollard

I saw the related article over at Wu-Jing.org. That's great news. On his commentary for INVISIBLE TARGET, Bey Logan was lamenting the fact that the industry doesn't make kung fu movies anymore and hence there are fewer opportunities for Philip. He knows classical forms well but has been working more on broader rhythm-based fighting and he has also been working on trick stunts. He's been doing action direction already and has some solid acting and screen fighting experience from film and TV work. In other words, he's becoming a serious contender to follow as the next serious martial arts star after Wu Jing.

I'll have to dig up some info on HANDS OF THE DRAGON.

The Running Man
As for PIT FIGHTER and BELLY OF THE BEAST, they're in a different class and were judged accordingly. I factor in budgets, expectations and a whole lot of other elements. It's not fair to filmmakers or fans to put every movie on a level playing field. I

Two words: Wicked Game.

It's ultra low budget. It's so low budget that it couldn't even have covered the catering for Pit Fighter, and it easily whoops both of those movies on every factor.

I even see kids online posting videos of homemade fight scenes that are better than the embarrassment seen in trash like Pit Fighter. So how can Invisible Target be considered far worse than it is beyond me.

One Armed Boxer
Regarding multiple takes. Let's be honest about this. Rolling down a single set of stairs does not compare with sliding down a multi-story pole through a series of exploding lights. Nick's leap in front of the bus was more impressive than rolling down stairs. My point about instant replays is that what a filmmaker is showing twice better be impressive because they're basically telling the audience that they think it is.

I agree to an extent, however I think the reasons for the multiple-take of Tse being kicked down the stairs may have been done for other reasons aside from spectacle. It is rare in movies these days, Hollywood and Hong Kong, for an actor to actually do his own stunts.

If this was a big budget Hollywood movie chances are a similar stunt would either (a) be done by a stunt man being shot from a distance to disguise the fact it isn't the actual actor, or (B) be done in front of a green screen with the actor jumping onto an extra soft cushioned safety mat, for it to be replaced with a CGI floor in post production. I think Benny Chan just wanted to show that it actually is Tse receiving a hefty boot courtesy of Wu Jing, which in all fairness does send him airborn for the majority of the stairs so he's not just rolling down them one by one, and hence showing it from two different angles just drives the fact home.

The bus stunt you mention is impressive, however as it shows in the making of he is still supported by wires when jumping, whereas with the stairs theres nothing but gravity between Tse and the floor.

Mark Pollard
Two words: Wicked Game.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll add that to my list.

I agree to an extent, however I think the reasons for the multiple-take of Tse being kicked down the stairs may have been done for other reasons aside from spectacle.

It's true. The commentators did mention that Benny wanted the audience to see that it was Nick getting kicked down the stairs and not a stunt double. I'm not going to argue that Tse didn't go above and beyond for this movie. He did. I just didn't like how it turned out and I don't blame that on him, at least for the physical work.