Invisible Target (2007)

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Guest Beat TG

-- Nan Er Ben Se --

"Benny Chan will begin production of a martial arts based crime movie Nan Er Ban Se (True Nature of Man) towards the end of November. The movie which relates to Nicholas Tse and his four police teammates Shawn Yue, Jaycee Chan, Wu Jing and Andy On will focus on realistic fight scenes rather than explosion scenes that Benny Chan was so used to filming. He will also forbid/dissuade the use of doubles, and all the various cast members have been working hard individually in preparation for it, such as Nicholas Tse, who has been building up his stamina under the guidance of a Hong Kong national class gymnast. Later on, they will all gather for some special training. Sets are being built for this film which is being produced by Universe Films at a budget of $HK 60m. Filming expects to take three months. Scheduled for release in around June or July 2007."

Source: www.wu-jing.org/News.php

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

This one looks promising. Lots of running, explosions, fighting..... Wu Jing looking pretty badass as a villian again. Check out the extended trailer on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqKYQo9BGyw. Dig the cheesy announcer guy "THE INVISIBLE TARGET aka Tripod":lol . And who the hell is Jaycee Chan? The bastard son of Jackie (kinda looks like him)? ;)

Guest JustAFan

I'm a big Nicholas Tse fan and i've been looking forward to seeing this for a while.

And the announcer is just so annoying. 'This summer be prepared'.

Guest will91XingYu

Just watched this awesome movie. Great plot, Jaycee Chan is a fantastic actor, also Nicolas Tse has eanred all my respect, does some narley stunts and fights really well same with Shawn Yu! Wu Jing is a total badass! This is a good sign that hong kong cinema is getting back to its best, i'll put up a review for it in the next couple of days. Well worth your hard earned cash.

Thanks, will

Guest will91XingYu

I think Flashpoint has better fights, but then this has wiked fights but i liked the story and charecters more in this movie. That first cahse scene with Nicolas Tse and Philip Ng was amazing!

Guest ironfistedmonk

This was better than I expected it to be, Wu Jing is a proper bad ass and makes a surprisingly good villain. Flash Point did have better fights but you gotta give Invisible Target marks for entertainment value

Guest will91XingYu

Yhe definatley, it was like 2 hours but it never dragged. The best fight IMO is the on in the club, where the three of them fight all those guys, loads of cool stunts and great quick coreography.

Guest Milkyway

Invisible Target is ok, better story, better performances (still doesn't say much imo) and more fights. but Flash Point has BETTER premise and an end fight owning everything in the former movie.

Guest will91XingYu

Does anyone knw if Xing Yu has any new projects lined up, i was looking and couldn't find anything, i'm hoping he may be in Donnie Yen's new film.

Guest shelliegal

i enjoyed this one much more than i thought i would. probably because most movies coming out has been pretty disappointing.

that said, nic's great in here (more so than in "wing chun") and wu jing is awesome! he seriously need a movie for him.

jaycee is like the total opposite of his dad.

Guest will91XingYu

Hi it's Will91XingYu and here is my review for the Benny Chan action/thriller Invisible Target starring Nicolas Tse, Wu Jing, Jaycee Chan and Shawn Yu. The cantonese title for the film is Nan er ben se, it came out around the same time as Donnie Yen's Flashpoint. I love that film so i though while i was in Hong Kong i would pick this one up as well, and i'm really glad i did, this is a good sign for hong kong action cinema that action films are coming back with a bang.

The films plot is farily good, it starts with a policeman Chun (Niclas Tse-New Police Story, Dragon Tiger Gate) and his memory of his girlfriend killed in a bomb attack by a vicous gang led by Wu Jing (SPL, Tai Chi Boxer). Chun vows revenge, our two other heroes Fong (Shawn Yu- Infernal Affairs, Dragon Tiger Gate) who is humiliated by the robbers and King Ho (Jaycee Chan- Twins Effect 2, The Drummer) who is looking for his missing brother. The three team up to tackle the gang head on, which ensues loads of explosions, great fights and stunt sequences.

I have left out a lot of the sub plots and twists as it is quite hard to explain and you should definatley watch this film. The stunt and fights were coreographed by Jackie Chan stunt team co leader (Bradley Allen being the other one) the fights are realistic are brutal, it's cool to see martial arts films recently having lengthy end fights. Action wise out of the three heroes Nicolas Tse is the best, he is a fantastic kicker (taught by Donnie Yen) and is now one of my favs, also there's one spectaclura free running scene with him, Wu Jing and Philip Ng (House of Fury, Dragon Squad), here they all do some spectaclura jumps from ehights, Nic always impressed me as he always wanted to do his own stunts, there's another chase with him and Philip Ng where we see him do some moves Tony Jaa would be jelous of.

The other two Shawn Yu impresses and so does Jaycee Chan (Jackie's son) both show good speed and look believeble, Jaycee also does some pretty outrages stunts and so does Shawn Yu, it's great to see these guys want to do there own stunts which brings home a real sense of believebility and adds to the action knwoing the hero isn't doubled by a stunt guy. Wu Jing who was in the beijing wushu team has finally broken through into roles that really showcase his amazing talent, here he is a real badass and beats the shit out of Nicolas Tse and Shawn Yu in the final fight, meanwhile Jaycee Chan is fighting Andy On (New Police Story, Fatal Contact) which is a cool fight, where the fight in fire around they're ankles, it looks like cgi but at the end credits you see its the real thing!

People looking for another Flashpoint won't be to dissapointed but they are different types of action film, while Flashpoint delivers new ground breaking fights, this gives us good fights, good acting and loads of cool stunts. There were a few wires to enhance the action, but Wu Jing really impresses here with his kicks and harsh wushu style. Nicolas Tse and Shawn Yu are really good, although Nicolas Tse does try a bit to hard to be a badass, when he dosn't need to because his skills are enough! He looks like he can kickass in this film. Other actors in the film are Vincent Sze (SPL, Dragon Tiger Gate), Elanne Kong and also a cameo from Ken Lo (Drunken Master 2, Bloodheat) also Sam Lee (Dog Bite Dog) has a fairly big acting role.

For me this film is a definatley buy, not only for the action but to see Jaycee Chan, this guy is a great actor and really puts this film on another level, while he may not have the skills of his dad he is a much better actor. It's great to see hong kong has many new rising talents like Nicolas Tse, Shawn Yu, Jaycee Chan, Wu Jing, Andy On, Xing Yu and Philip Ng. I loved this film, don't let the 2 hour running time put you off, it could be 20 minutes shorter but it never drags, i hope you love this film as much as i did!

5/5

Nice review. But, could you perhaps review something you didn't think was perfect. Like for example, I reviewed Wing Chun and gave it 3.5 stars and stated why. I mean do you really think this flick deserves FIVE STARS! It was not perfect. That's usually reserved for an absolutely flawless instant classic, like Drunken Master or Iron Monkey.

Guest will91XingYu

Yhe sure, i was just reviewing films i really liked first, for me i found it brilliant and in the circumstances of not many great action films at the moment i really liked it, but sure i'll put some other reviews up as well. Oh yeh i though the Wing Chun review was really good:)

Yhe sure, i was just reviewing films i really liked first, for me i found it brilliant and in the circumstances of not many great action films at the moment i really liked it, but sure i'll put some other reviews up as well. Oh yeh i though the Wing Chun review was really good:)

It was ok, I gotta develop things a little more.

Great action flick with the newest badass villan, Wu Jing. Were they trying to kill Nicolas Tse? The young man appeared to do most of his own stunt work and i'm VERY impressed with that.

JC was very good as well. He is growing with each performance and as long as he works with quality people, he'll be well on his way. :cool:

Guest gorhama

I agree while the fights were better in FLASHPOINT...this was a great action movie with younger talent that proves HK cinema can have a great future as long as the lead actors stay healthy and continue to give each movie 110% (looking at you Nicholas Tse :D) The stunts were great and I think they managed to break more glass than Jackie did back in the day. Even the tables had breakable glass on them. Wu Jing should be getting better and better movies as he is the real deal.

Guest TheGrimReaper

I watched this some time ago with DTS on my home cinema and was impressed by the quality of the movie itself, no matter that some people didn't like the director's way of filming (Benny Chan), however it was pretty refreshing movie for me, and all actors made a nice performances... A film worth watching again and again... And indeed there were more glass pieces flying around, even more than JC's Police Story...

Grim,

I must agree with you. the DTS in this film made my home theather system ROCK!! by watching films in DTS from DDDhouse has made me a firm believer that our NTSC film are really compressed. now i only buy films from DDDhouse. thanks to my OPPO region free dvd player.

Now back to the film, "INVISIBLE TARGET" was much better the "FLASH POINT." IMHO!!!!

Now back to the film, "INVISIBLE TARGET" was much better the "FLASH POINT." IMHO!!!!

Invisible Target is a much better film , that was better directed and acted. It had a better story that was actually fleshed out, Flash Point (like SPL) is a great idea that the people involved didn't seem to know how to bring to the screen, and that makes the films seem to take themselves a lot more seriously than they should have.

Invisible Target knew what it was, an action flick, and gave you that. My feelings on these two movies is that Flash Point is a fight scene and Invisible Target is a movie.

TheGrimReaper

@June - Thanks for the opinion m8, to be honest my copy of Invisible Target is NTSC as well, hopefully my TV has a convertor into PAL (because that's the standard in Europe) and it is pretty good in sound and picture - didn't notice a compression though, probably when I get myself a LCD TV it will look much different :) Both Flash Point & Invisible Target delivered what they've promised - fast fights, lots of glass shattered, good acting, good guys vs. bad guys - what else can a martial arts fan would want? Cheers and greetings from Bulgaria !

I recently watched this film with great anticipation for a Wu Jing & Jaycee Chan. I have to say this film was above and beyond what I expected. I thought Wu Jing plays a great evil character since I first saw this in SPL and hope to see him in more roles like this in the future. As for Jaycee Chan you expect so much from him because of his father, but I went into the movie trying not to think about that and to give the guy a fair chance. I was SHOCKED! I thought he did great! I know he only had a few small action scenes but I was highly impressed. Can anyone tell me if he is looking into taking more martial arts training? I did some research and it seems that he is more of a singing superstar then an action star. The two other cops in this film were top notch as well, but for me it was my only my first or second time seeing them in movies as well, so if anyone has more info on MUST SEE movies from these other stars I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks...