Shogun's Ninja aka Ninja bugeicho momochi sandayu

Guest oldeschool17

Guest oldeschool17

I remember watching this awhile back and thought it had some great action. However, i thought the plot was a bit all over the place and what really killed me was the 70s/80s funk music that was inappropriately played throughout the movie. I almost thought Dolemite would bust out any minute. I never really considered it much in cinema, but man does the soundtrack play an important role in a movie. I would have enjoyed this movie alot more had they played more music from that era. Anybody else feel the same way and anybody know why they chose that music?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Whirlwind

I really liked this film but like you say the music just wasn`t right,it didn`t fit at all.There was a scene where Sanada was practicing some moves but it looked more like he was brushing up his dance moves because of the sickly sax music playing.

I think it was Shogun`s Shadow that there is similar bad music choices made like during a big action scene there is Japanese metal music is used.

That song in the Shadow Warriors series was getting to me after a while too,it was in every episode.

I guess that stuff must have been popular at the time but it sounds dated now.

The music ruins this movie for me to, something about a jazz song being played in that time period so doesn't fit, now stick it in a Chiba modern day movie and I'm all about it.

The Jazz/modern-interpretive-dance solo makes the cheezeball the timeless classic that it is! It's also cool that is centers around historical characters like Momochi Sandaya, Hideyoshi, Ishikawa Goemon, Hattori Hanzo and Hakuunsai. Some of Sue Shiomi's Chinese outfits and nunchaku scenes are a little bit out of synch with the rest of the film, but it's easily forgiveable.

Guest Stuntman Jules

I really like the director, Norifumi Suzuki, and his body of work, particularly the stunning Sex & Fury with the luscious Reiko Ike. This isn't as good as that movie, but damn, it is a lot of crazy fun.

It's got everything from gruesome harakiri scenes to insane martial arts and yes, the soundtrack is very inappropriate, but it almost helps the movie rather than hurts it as it only adds to its crazed maelstrom that is Shogun's Ninja.

Guest Morgoth

I agree Stuntman Jules.

And the first time I saw this movie the music seemed out of place, but after repeated viewings the music has really grown on me.

add me as another one not bothered by the music in this and Shadow Warriors. The interpretive dance scene is insanely hilarious. AND I've noticed that in Shadow Warriors the cheesiest theme song often signifies an oncoming action scene, so I actually now look forward to it.

I haven't seen this movie for a while and popped it in when a buddy came over for some "light" entertainment. There's actually some great ninja action in this, better than I remembered, and Chiba makes one badass villain, the close ups of his face alone, he looks delightfully sinister. Sanada is ripped, was he suppose to be with Shinomi's character? She tells him her home is where her lover is, but the story sets up his love with Otsu.

The score still erks me to high hell, along with the cartoony sound effects, I don't mind it so much in Shadow Warriors, but this uggh! I would so love to see a fan re-scoring of this, and yeah, you could cut out that fire dance scene while your at it:tongue:

Oh man, I'm all for "so bad it's good", but this movie doesn't need the cheese factor of the music, to me it hinders it(and annoys me at the same time:tongue:) At least put good jazz in it lol Oh well I guess I'll just turn off the volume and play traditional Japanese music in the backround next time

It's not a case of "so bad it's good" for me - I actually like the music score for this. It might not be appropriate for a period film, but IMO it's typical for the time when this was released...

Archived