Yuen Biao

Guest will91XingYu

ShawAngela
10 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

I wish that Yuen Biao was interviewed about his first trip to America. In Jackie Chan's first memoir, it was mentioned that Biao moved to Los Angeles with Yu Jim-Yuen. When Biao returned to HK to become a stuntman, he told Jackie and Sammo that there was no place for a Chinese man in American movies.

When You see some coproductions "white"/HK such as 7 Golden Vampires, This time I'll make You rich, and other ones that don' t come to my mind at this moment, You can see that Yuen Biao was true. Most of the time in these movies, even if Chinese actors are the lead or the co-stars, at the end, it's always the "white" lead who wins, and there are even some scenes where Chinese are laughed at due to the script, such as in This time I'll make You rich.

7 Golden Vampires, Shatter are a little bit different regarding this matter, but still, it's Peter Cushing and Stuart Whitman who win at the end, not David Chiang or Ti Lung...

What Yuen Biao said is perfectly described in one of Ho Chung Tao's Brucexploitation movie where he plays Bruce Lee who is asked to play a Mandarin magistrate with a lot of clichés and he rebels against the director saying that Chinese people and culture aren't like white people think they are.

• Like 4

In 1987, Biao released an album: https://yahoo.aleado.com/lot?auctionID=g357051786

To find Biao-related things on Japanese sites, here is his Japanese name: ユン・ピョウ

Likewise with the other brothers...

Jackie: ジャッキー・チェン
Sammo: サモ・ハン

This site has plenty of good stuff: https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/

• Like 3

I'd like to meet him, I've been thinking about it for years. unfortunately he doesn't make many new films and above all they don't invite him to European festivals. I think it's impossible.

• Like 4

Great pictures ! He didn't change at all looking at his child picture !

I love his smile. And I still think that he very much looks alike Chin Siu Ho, at least when they were young, and their smiles are very similar too !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

Look how his son looks very much like him !

That's adorable. I knew he had a daughter but hadn't heard about a son. You're quite right about his boy, he does look a lot like little Biao.

• Like 4

One Armed Boxer

With all the recent love Yuen Biao has been receiving on Blu-ray, over at COF I decided to take a look back on his most overlooked decade (and one that has the highest unlikelihood of seeing any of his productions hit Blu-ray!) - the 1990's! Was the decade really as bad for Biao as some of his fans make out, or are there still some gems to be found in an era when Hong Kong cinema was rapidly changing? Check out the full feature via the link - 

https://cityonfire.com/yuen-biao-once-upon-a-time-in-the-90s-a-retrospective-of-his-most-overlooked-decade/

Yuen-Biao-2.thumb.jpg.8d441e989cacc65e432900a15cdf6108.jpg

• Like 10

I think that Wong Jing should have given him the role that Jet Li played in High Risk. Yuen Biao does a better job of looking haunted than Jet, and the comedy would have taken on an extra level of self-awareness by casting a stuntman playing someone who works as a stunt double. It would have made for a more amusing OUATIC reunion: a film starring Wong Fei-Hung's sidekicks.

• Like 4

Good article!

Personally, I would have put Hero of Swallow on the list instead of SSWRB, and maybe switched the positions of Hero and Tough Beauty, but that's just me.

Thanks for giving us some great Biao material to read. We need to keep his name immortalized in the fandom.

• Like 4

China pretty much nabbed all the talent from HK. It's insane how work seems to have dried up especially in the action martial arts genre.

If it weren't for these chinese streaming companies probably none of them would still be working in the movie industry.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

PandaPawPaw
Posted (edited)

Knockabout - Behind the Scenes (more in link).

bts+knockabout+5.jpg

Millionaire's Express - Behind the Scenes (more in link).

bts+millio+3.jpg

bts+millio09.jpg

The Prodigal Son - Behind the Scenes.

bts+prodigalson1.jpg

bts+prodigalson2.jpg

bts+prodigalson3.jpg

Eastern Condors - Behind the Scenes (more in link).

bts+eastern+cast+new.jpg

bts+eastern+condors+9.jpg

bts+eastern+condors+10.jpg

The Secret Rivals Part II - Behind the Scenes.

"Yuen Biao and Corey Yuen during the making of Ng See-Yuen's classic "The Secret Rivals Part ll". The film features some of Hong Kong cinema's most idolised stunt-luminaries, including Hsu Hsia, Blacky Ko, Yuen Wah, and even Venoms Mob member Lu Feng."

bts+the+secret+rivals+part+ll.jpg

Once Upon a Time in China - Behind the Scenes (more in link).

bts+once+2.jpg

bts+once+3+new.jpg

Righting Wrongs - Behind the Scenes.

bts+righting+2.jpg

bts+righting+1.jpg

Edited by PandaPawPaw
  • Like 4