Yuen Biao

Guest will91XingYu

legendarycurry

Big Yuen Biao fan here (Who isn't?) just wanted to share some videos I put together from interviews and stuff where his co-stars discuss working with him, edited these a while back for one of my youtube channels.

:clappinghands Very entertaining and informative videos. Yuen Biao is a LEGEND for sure. Thank you for psoting these.

Working on 4 movies at the same time, :whew

One of my fave movies of his is On The Run, more a action/drama, not much flips 'n' kicks. And one of his best acting performances.

I agree about On The Run, it's a great "acting" film for YB.

Thanks for the videos, I'll check them out.

well I just watched the 2 videos.... amazing..... he never gets angry hehe.... that's exactly how he looks like, friendly, kind and very polite..... one of my heroes..... which makes me wonder which of those 2 movies of his I like more.... Knockabout or Dreadnaught ???? (maybe the end scene in Knockabout when Sammo and Yuen Biao get mad while doing the monkeys over tables and screaming like hell..... pretty awesome scene)

Well then..... what is you guys favorite Yuen Biao movie ???

Knockabout and Dreadnaught are my favorite Yuen Biao movies as well. He was in so many great film, both classic and modern. It is too bad he didn't seem to get enough leading roles. :-/

I love both of them, but I like Knockabout more easily, it is probably in my top 5 favorite kung fu movies. I have to admit, Yuen Shun-Yi steals the show in Deadnaught, "White Tiger" is one psycho SOB, and a great KF villain!

I'm a big fan of Yuen Biao (if you couldn't tell already). He's starred in so many awesome movies: Knockabout, On The Run, The Prodigal Son, Righting Wrongs, etc.

legendarycurry
I'm a big fan of Yuen Biao (if you couldn't tell already). He's starred in so many awesome movies: Knockabout, On The Run, The Prodigal Son, Righting Wrongs, etc.

All of those great films! Prdigal Son being my favorite

All of those great films! Prdigal Son being my favorite

Prodigal Son is probably one of my top 10 kung fu movies (top 5 maybe).

One Armed Boxer

I found him really impressive in Hero Of Swallow. One of my favorite Fu films from the 90s. :cool

I watched this one for the first time recently and was equally impressed by his performance in it.  If anything it looks, feels, and sounds like a 70's Shaw Brothers movie rather than a mid-90's flick, which I think kind of adds to its charm.  Biao is in top form though, almost like a Chang Cheh style hero, and it's great to see the fights coming thick and fast, with many of them well grounded in an era that had Biao frequently dabbling in the wuxia genre.  A far cry from his heyday of working with Sammo and co., however 'Hero of Swallow' is still definitely a worthy late entry into Biao's filmography.

• Like 5

Secret Executioner

I watched this one for the first time recently and was equally impressed by his performance in it.  If anything it looks, feels, and sounds like a 70's Shaw Brothers movie rather than a mid-90's flick, which I think kind of adds to its charm.  Biao is in top form though, almost like a Chang Cheh style hero, and it's great to see the fights coming thick and fast, with many of them well grounded in an era that had Biao frequently dabbling in the wuxia genre.  A far cry from his heyday of working with Sammo and co., however 'Hero of Swallow' is still definitely a worthy late entry into Biao's filmography.

I hear ya on the out-of-its-time feel this film has. I knew of another movie by the same title that was from the 1960s and only the action made me think it must have been a 1996 production, cause the action is clearly not something you'd see in a movie pre-dating Bruce Lee by nearly 10 years - I have to agree it feels quite like a 1970s Wuxia much more than like something out of the 1990s (with the wire-fu action that causes anybody to leap as easily as Superman or the Hulk). Actually, I think it's this old-school feeling that made it so enjoyable to me.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer

I hear ya on the out-of-its-time feel this film has. I knew of another movie by the same title that was from the 1960s and only the action made me think it must have been a 1996 production, cause the action is clearly not something you'd see in a movie pre-dating Bruce Lee by nearly 10 years - I have to agree it feels quite like a 1970s Wuxia much more than like something out of the 1990s (with the wire-fu action that causes anybody to leap as easily as Superman or the Hulk). Actually, I think it's this old-school feeling that made it so enjoyable to me.

Yeah, the unintentional old school charm was a big part of my enjoyment of it as well.  Biao's in great kicking form here though, I'd consider it probably his filmographys equivalent of Chan's 'Who Am I?', as the last example which shows him really showing off his stuff.  Have you seen 'Sword Stained with Royal Blood'?  It's a wirework heavy wuxia, but so entertaining and energetic that even though Biao doesn't get to show off his physical talents that much, it's a great time anyway.

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

Yeah, the unintentional old school charm was a big part of my enjoyment of it as well.  Biao's in great kicking form here though, I'd consider it probably his filmographys equivalent of Chan's 'Who Am I?', as the last example which shows him really showing off his stuff.  Have you seen 'Sword Stained with Royal Blood'?  It's a wirework heavy wuxia, but so entertaining and energetic that even though Biao doesn't get to show off his physical talents that much, it's a great time anyway.

I think I heard/read about it, but never saw it. Thanks for the recommendation. :nodding

Put me in the "I loved HERO OF SWALLOW" camp as well. The first few reviews I read were lukewarm at best, but then I read the MAGTHKF review who declared that people who discount this movie are idiots, and that it was the best post-80s display of Yuen Biao's films. I got a copy from Malaysia and agreed. It has a few flaws, but it was still a great movie.

• Like 2

Chu Liu Hsiang

http://hktopten.blogspot.com/2018/07/20180731-yuen-biao-remembers-taking.html

Quote: Yuen Biao earlier went to Tokyo, Japan to attend a press conference for a new watch that commemorated the 45th anniversary of Bruce Lee's passing. (...) In addition, Yuen Biao revealed that he was busy with the Seven Little Fortunes movie preparation. "Because next year would be the 60th anniversary of the 'Seven Little Fortunes', actually at our 50th anniversary we already thought about making this movie to tell Hong Kong, China and even the world how we learned kung fu when we were little and how we overcame hardship. We would tell children not to give up, to have confidence and determination."

I hope that movie will actually be realized!

0731-00282-026b3.jpg

William Shum invites Yuen Biao to promote in Japan
courtesy of on.cc

• Like 7