Yuen Biao

Guest will91XingYu

Bit of a story behind this, Biao wanted his English name to be Bill (I hadn't heard it was specifically 'Billy') Yuen because as you said 'Bill' is close to 'Biao'. Golden Harvest however named him 'Jimmy Yuen Biao' to play on similarities to Jackie, and to cash in on his success. Both were later dropped.

I'd have stuck with Bill.

I read in Bey Logan's HK Action Cinema book that for some promos for Wheels on Meals, Yuen was called "Billy Yuen Biao". Either name would have been cool, but he will be forever known as Yuen Biao :)

Jesse Smooth

Other that the Bruce scenes from G.O.D. '78, the locker room scene was the best part of that film. Kim Tai Chung plus Biao's acrobatics.

Morgoth Bauglir
is there any great movie where is he is lead instead of supporting actor(do not mention iceman cometh&prodigal son)?

He's the lead in Sword Stained with Royal Blood, which is my favorite wuxia of alltime.

is there any great movie where is he is lead instead of supporting actor(do not mention iceman cometh&prodigal son)?

Also Dreadnaught, Deadful Melody, Kid From Tibet, Righting Wrongs...

A few that were not mentioned. Knockabout(real showcase film for him), Kickboxer (a fun Once Upon a Time in China type movie), also On the Run (no martial arts but a great film noir movie).

Chinatown Kid
Anyone liked ROSA?? I thought it had its moments!

Yeah I liked Rosa, especially the end fight between Yuen and Dick Wei although it did turn silly near the end of that fight.

Hero of Swallow was decent but the thing that annoyed me was that the sound effects for the fights seemed to be out of sync with what was happening on screen.

One Armed Boxer

Looking through this thread it seems like nobody's mentioned the 1997 Corey Yuen re-make of Boxer From Shantung, Hero...Yuen Biao did an excellent supporting turn as the gangster boss, and even got to jump out of a coffin wielding a multi-barreled machine gun type contraption!

Great to see him in a Shaw Brothers movie (this was their comeback film) and it also includes one of those traditional Shaw one guy against a whole horde of attackers scene.

Has anyone seen the brilliantly titled 'Tough Beauty & the Sloppy Slop' where he teams up with Cynthia Khan...looks like a recipe for disaster.

Morgoth Bauglir

The final fight with Billy Chow in Tough Beauty is awesome, but as a whole the movie really sucks. Could have been so much better.

One Armed Boxer

Yeah I thought it'd be good to see a re-match between Biao & Chow after seeing them go toe to toe in movies like Eastern Condors, I've never been all that impressed with Cynthia Khan though and can't really imagine how she'd keep up with Biao.

Another Biao movie I've never seen but have always intended too, which re-teams him with Takeshi Kaneshiro from Hero, is Don't Give A Damn, along with Sammo Hung. I've always thought from the way Kaneshiro is sharing billing with Biao & Hung on the cover that this should have been a three dragon's project, but for whatever reason Jackie Chan wasn't involved so he acted as his replacement.

MasterDrunk

Heres my run down on legend Yuen Biao's best and not so good

1.The Prodigal Son

2.Knockabout

3.Eastern Condors

4.Project A

5.The Magnificent Butcher {nice cameo}

Not so good/silly

Dreadnaught

Iceman Cometh

Also had a nice little cameo in the classic The Invincible Armour,Havnt seen Righting Wrongs yet.

I thought "Dreadnaught" and "Iceman Cometh" were very enjoyable films, two of my favourites anyway.

Currently I'm working on what I hope will maybe be an up to date Yuen Biao fan website on the internet. More to come of course, but if anyone has a minute to check it out, I would be greatful, and I hope you enjoy it

www.freewebs.com/yuenbiaofans

I really liked Dreadnaught,i think Righting wrongs is my fave Yuen biao film.

Champions even has its moments as is pretty funny.

shelliegal

i didn't think shanghai shanghai was bad. i love the dancing-fighting scene of biao, anita, and sandy. i wish it was longer. ;)

haven't seen champions yet. it's on my list. recently was able to watch on the run again and it's good thriller. i know it's not a kung fu movie, but i sometimes wish biao was able to show something at the end with charlie chin anyway. oh well.

easter condors is my favorite film of all times, follow closely by dragons forever and prodigal son.

What the hell's with the new title for this thread, are we counting the days until he dies or something?!

it did look weird to me. my first thought was something happen? maybe something like "yuen biao appreciation thread" would sound better.

maybe something like "yuen biao appreciation thread" would sound better.

Well, people who don't appreciate Yuen Biao should be able to vent it here as well. :) (Not that I don't)

I'm really annoyed by the fact that I haven't been able to see Champions yet. It's one of those titles that keep slipping my mind when I'm ordering a batch, since I'm mainly working on the remaining 70s shaws. I'll have to write it down. I'm expecting it to be a fresh digression from some of the over the top serious storylines.

shelliegal
Well, people who don't appreciate Yuen Biao should be able to vent it here as well. :) (Not that I don't)

I'm really annoyed by the fact that I haven't been able to see Champions yet. It's one of those titles that keep slipping my mind when I'm ordering a batch, since I'm mainly working on the remaining 70s shaws. I'll have to write it down. I'm expecting it to be a fresh digression from some of the over the top serious storylines.

lol maybe just "yuen biao" will do then.

same for me too. that title keep slipping my mind. it wasn't until i read this thread again that i remember. *sigh*

TibetanWhiteCrane

Watched MAGNIFICENT BUTCHER last night for the umpteenth time, and that Yuen Biao vs Lam Ching Ying exchange, kicks my white ass every frickin' time.... DAMN that is crisp choreo!!!

• Like 1