Yuen Biao

Guest will91XingYu

Guest gorhama

All of the movies that I would name have been mentioned. It's a shame Yuen Biao didn't get the recognition world wide that he deserves. Not only is he one of the most talented acrobats and martial artists in screen fighting history he is a really well rounded actor as well.

I have Wing Chun on order and I'm looking forward to seeing Yuen and Sammo on screen again...even it's only for a minute.

Guest Morgoth

My favorite scenes are the ones where Lau Wing is using the snake fist with the pipe, but the jumping rope at the end is also awesome. Sammo was so inventive.

Guest Endsang

I totally agree. I don't think Lau Kar Wing gets enough credit for his part in Knockabout. Yuen Biao is amazing in this, but the snake style paired with the pipe gives me goosebumps everytime I watch it. I'm such a geek.

Guest Endsang

Actually I was referring to the fact that amazing kung fu styles and shapes on screen is like my natural heroin in life when I said geek. I get flamed to hell for it everytime friends come by and I got a kung fu flick rolling on the DVD player and sitting there, hypnotized. :P

By the way, I just finished Magnificent Butcher again, and I had really forgotten how amazing the Yuen Biao vs Lam Ching Ying / Wei Pak vs. Yuen Mao fight is. A good performance from Yuen Biao, but my favorite here was Lam Ching Ying, in his best fight after Prodigal Son. Also Chung Fat was incredible in the mausoleum fight against Sammo, although a bit too noisy with the cat screeching. :D

I liked The Champions. Has very inventive choreography intermixing kung fu with soccer. It's like Shaolin Soccer done well without special effects. Recommended for something refreshing and different.

This film is hillarious, probably my favourite comedy movie from Yuen Biao. the copy i had didnt even have subs but it didnt really matter. I would highly recommend this film to Yuen Biao fans.

Guest The Boxer from Chi Town

I have to say that

Project A

Wheels on Meals

Knockabout

Above the Law aka Righting Wrongs

and ZU

those are my favorites films from Yuen:D

Sword Stained with Royal Blood

as said and will be said again..for each his own but that is really horrible piece of cinema...venoms movie made from same novel zillion times supreme...:rolleyes:...

Morgoth Bauglir
as said and will be said again..for each his own but that is really horrible piece of cinema...venoms movie made from same novel zillion times supreme...:rolleyes:...

I have seen countless worse wuxias form the 90's. sword Stained with royal Blood is my favorite for so many reasons. It has the most perfect balance of comedy and drama I have ever experienced. In some scenes I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. To me it is a masterpiece.

"horrible" or "worse" are terms unknown to the fine piece of new wave cinema that is SSWRB.

as implied by morgoth already, theres more depth, facettes and detail to it than to your average new wave wuxia caper.

my 7.8/10 translate to "very good movie".

prodigal sonin this one comedy is funny,not tedious slapstick unlike in about 10000 other movies.fights are top notch also.

iceman cometh rocks also.

Prodigal Son and Knockabout, two pieces of Kung Fu Cinema with both Yuen Biao and Sammo at their finest in front and behind the camera.

Honorable Mention:

Kickboxer - As much as I liked Hung Yan Yan as Club Foot 7 in the OUATIC series, imagine if Yuen Biao did the role instead?

It was mentioned in the two posts above yours. :P

I have seen countless worse wuxias form the 90's. sword Stained with royal Blood is my favorite for so many reasons. It has the most perfect balance of comedy and drama I have ever experienced. In some scenes I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. To me it is a masterpiece.

Have you seen Sword Stained With Royal Blood from 1981? Is the Yuen Biao one a remake?

I'm hungry for some crazy 90s wuxia again.. the selection is quite limited compared to the classic kung fu movies, and I'm eager to get more movies like New Dragon Gate Inn, Swordsman 1+2, Butterfly and Sword, etc.

I saw Deadful Melody recently, starring Yuen Biao. Actually wasn't as bad as I had expected, but nothing real special.

Morgoth Bauglir

Deadful Melody and SSWRB are pretty similiar, but SSWRB is so much better. I have the Venoms version but I haven't had a chance to see it yet.

Green snake is also a really good 90's wuxia. Not much action, but definitely worth seeing.

TheGrimReaper

My favorites are:

The Iceman Cometh

Dreadnaught

Knockabout

Millionaire's Express

Eastern Condors

Righting Wrongs

Prodigal Son

Project A

I haven't seen The Champions - I've heard it was pretty good

for a few movies I have a blend of mixed feelings:

A kid from Tibet - a decent directional debut by Yuen Biao, however not ranks amongs his top performances

The Hero of Swallow - I'm not sure what it is, but it was looking awfuly like another movie I've seen...

And one question - is Dreadful Melody worth getting?

Thank you in anticipation.

Morgoth Bauglir

Deadful Melody is decent, but I don't consider it among the best of the 90's wuxia movies. Yuen Biao is good in it, but don't except anything great from the action sequences. If I wasn't a big Brigitte Lin fan I probably would have hated it.