Jackie Chan, Yuen Biao or Sammo Hung

Guest will91XingYu

Omni Dragon

Sammo action & director, leading man Biao, co-staring Sammo & Jackie.

but i have to thank Jackie because he's how got into these films.

Guest mightyjoe

I wait for the days when all 3 are in a movie together again.... it would be awsome. Hey if Jackie Chan made one with Jet Li then maybe it will happen

Omni Dragon
Sammo. ;)

Has anyone been keeping a score on this thread?

Maybe there should have bin voting poll.

Omni Dragon
I wait for the days when all 3 are in a movie together again.... it would be awsome. Hey if Jackie Chan made one with Jet Li then maybe it will happen

I don't know if it would be as good because of the way there is less & less action.

drunkenmaster

Lets face it. We would all love to see the three brothers working together again, but it could never be as good as our expectations. Time passes and each year takes its toll. Sad, but you can't get away from it. :(

Drunken Monk

I watched "Wheels on Meals," "My Lucky Stars," "Twinkle, Twinkle Lucky Stars," and "Dragons Forever" last week.

While Sammo is incredible and my favourite martial arts actor in older movies, the more I see of Yuen Biao, the more I enjoy him. I just wish I could get my hands on some of his moves in which he's the lead. I have one or two but I'm still annoyed that I never picked up the "Iceman Cometh" put out by HKL.

Omni Dragon
I watched "Wheels on Meals," "My Lucky Stars," "Twinkle, Twinkle Lucky Stars," and "Dragons Forever" last week.

While Sammo is incredible and my favourite martial arts actor in older movies, the more I see of Yuen Biao, the more I enjoy him. I just wish I could get my hands on some of his moves in which he's the lead. I have one or two but I'm still annoyed that I never picked up the "Iceman Cometh" put out by HKL.

Yeah Iceman is comedy a mix of old & new i guy from the past in 89. i like it because it's a mix of old school & new.

Iceman Cometh is available as a region 3 release, remastered by Joy Sales.

Omni Dragon
Iceman Cometh is available as a region 3 release, remastered by Joy Sales.

I saw the HKL iceman dvd on amazon for £49.90 man thats alot & the VHS only £1.50 lol.

Sammo definitely. The way he shows fighters strategy and actual fighting rather than acrobatics with a bit of fighting wins me over.

Young Master and how Police Story revolutionized HK cinema towards modern-day films I'd have to go with Jackie!

Nope, Sammo got there first. Check out the end fight from Carry On Pickpocket! Surely one of the most underrated end fights ever!

wuxiawuxia

I've been watching their films since I was in the elementary school, that's in the early 80s. Yes, I am old. Hard to say who I liked the most among the three.

Jackie had the luck to hit it big, thanks to Drunken Master, it was in our local theater for almost 6 months before it played in the third class theater another half a year. He then had another hit with The Young Master, Project A, Armour of God, he just never stopped. Everyone lined up for tickets, and you can forget getting the tickets during the premiere weeks.

Sammo Hung was well-respected, even my Grandparents loved him, they're big fans of Chinese martial arts from the older Chinese generation of the 20s. Sammo was the real deal, although not as lucky as Jackie Chan. Still, the man is impressive even today.

Yuen Biao was an impressive acrobatic artist, but as someone mentioned earlier, he wasn't too popular among the young generation, because he is not the most attractive guy around. Yes we, here, appreciate their physical talents, but the HK audience back then didn't like watching unattractive looking faces, hard for them to get casted when the triads or investors knew the films won't sale. Sad truth, but it's still a business.

Most the girls I knew back in the 80s thought Yuen Biao was ugly, there's just no way he'd make it as the Superstar. Let's face it, he's no Andy Lau, Ti Lung, David Chiang.

This is the same reason why someone like Phillip Kwok and the venoms never hit it big.

Jackie was at least decent, and he was a playboy and broke so many hearts of many top HK/Taiwanese actresses back in the late 70s - 80s. Not the most good looking guy but had the charisma of a Superstar. When I go back to HK people often use Jackie Chan as a symbol of luck in career, when you talk about success people often say "if you have the luck of Jackie Chan." :)

Out of the three brothers, it's very tough for me. But more and more I become a bigger fan of Sammo Hung.

kungfusamurai

I wasn't blown away by Iceman Cometh, even though most people recommend it as Biao's best work. I thought Kickboxer and Kid From Tibet were more engaging films.

I don't recall if I already replied to this thread. I think in terms of overall consistency, Sammo is the best. Yuen Biao is a great acrobat and fighter and depending on the film, a competent lead, but is better as a second banana. Jackie I find is interesting to watch, but you get the sense after a while that it's all about him him him. Sammo comes across as more humble and self-deprecating with his humour, and he has a better sense for choreographing and directing than Jackie. Although, I thought the camera work and effects on Mr Nice Guy were very amateurish.

KFS

I saw the HKL iceman dvd on amazon for £49.90 man thats alot & the VHS only £1.50 lol.

Damn, you can get the HKL dvd out here for about $20 (Australian dollars).

Omni Dragon
Damn, you can get the HKL dvd out here for about $20 (Australian dollars).

I seen An Introduction To Hong Kong Legends from £0.01-£5.99

first new one at £1.22

jackie was who i first saw in fearless hyena when i was 6 years old....and it was jackie who gave me one of the greatest nights out as a teen with rumble in the bronx.

however, when i was first introduced to sammo hung, i was awestruck. my best friend growning up was a fellow martial artist, but also a little rotund. we always had an affinity for sammo since many people don't view someone who is overweight to be capable of many of the things that he does...so i really respected sammo

yuen biao is on the same level as sammo for me. to be really honest, i can't just pick one, but i have to narrow it down to jackie, since he and bruce were the ones who got me so interested in the martial arts

Cognoscente

Biao is my favourite too. I like how The Champions seemed like his response to the sports scenes in Dragon Lord, and how Righting Wrongs could be seen as his way of topping Police Story (the car ambush and the moving vehicle stunt).

This is what Wong Jing had to say about Jackie and Sammo: "Sammo was potentially the next Bruce Lee. He was a properly trained actor and a reputable street brawler. However, Jackie eclipsed him in popularity. Sammo wasn't as acrobatically gifted, and he could never play underdogs in the sincere way that Jackie did with Snake in the Eagle's Shadow and Drunken Master. Hong Kong people love movies where a character loses face and gets face back. It's why Chow Yun-Fat became Hong Kong's biggest movie star with A Better Tomorrow. The key to Jackie's initial success with those two movies was that even women, children and old people could watch them. The violence was pared down. With Jackie, Kung Fu became more of an art form than as a way to inflict damage. Both movies were directed by Yuen Woo-Ping. It's funny, because his nickname is Big Eyes whereas Jackie's nickname is Big Nose."

• Like 4

Each brings something different,I like Jackies modern choreography and I prefer Sammos traditional Kung fu choreography,for me Yuen Biao was the more physically gifted of the three so I can’t really choose one.We are very fortunate to have them in several films together though,but it’s a pity age has caught up with all three.

• Like 2

Cognoscente

The below is from #16 of Spotlight circa 1979 (I wonder how many people in HK preferred Sammo or Biao to Jackie).

037c6c125f58331853_b.jpg

• Like 1