Which 90s Wire Fu flicks were your favorites?!

Sifu

Guest Morgoth

That movie has some of the best wirework I have ever seen. The fight with Pai Paio and Derek Yee vs Shen Chan reminded me of Jet Li vs Xin Xin Xiong in OUATIC 2.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sifu

• 5 Element Boxer

• Iron_Leopard

• sym8

As a term to describe a type of kung fu movie, "wire fu" is no more stupid than "bashers" or "shapes" :D

And since your a Sammo fan, it's like calling his style Fat-Fu! :D

Guest deathdunt

I'm a huge fan of Dragon Inn, Butterfly and Sword, and Burning Paradise and they my very well be tied for runner up to my all time favorite wirefu movie...Iron Monkey. It's amazing.

I'm a huge fan of Dragon Inn, Butterfly and Sword, and Burning Paradise and they my very well be tied for runner up to my all time favorite wirefu movie...Iron Monkey. It's amazing.

I think the reason Iron Monkey is so good is because of the perfect balance of the film. It has a huge amount of action, some drama, touching moments, lots of comedy (I mean come on, it's a Yuen Woo Ping movie) and a satisfying ending!

I used to love these wire fu films in the mid 90's now I can't stand them, sorry

What! :eek: Why, the action itself is so fun to watch. Especially the ones Yuen Woo Ping choreographed.

I just got back from Chinatown, NYC!!! Woo hoo! I bought four really nice DVDs for extremely cheap :eek:

The place I usually go to has an entire section of over 300+ or so Shaw Bros. DVDs! There was a dude who I got into an interesting convo about Lau Kar Leung and others and tells me that they update their collection every time new ones are released! He also told me he reads Pollard's reviews regularly, what Kung Fu fan doesn't :D

I ended up buying the IVL/Celestial DVD of Eight Diagram Pole Fighter, the Mei Ah remastered DVD of Snake in Eagle's Shadow, the extended edition Weikai/Guang Dong Face DVD of Hero. And most happily, the Joy Sales 2-disc "Films of Stephen Chow" set with Legend of the Dragon and King of Beggars!

The bookcover packaging and booklet that came with the HK release of the Hero DVD looked amazing!

2052ng7.jpg

Ah....................good trip.

But, the reason I'm putting this here is because now that I've seen King of Beggars, um well, the list has changed! That's pretty much it :P

1) Iron Monkey

2) Once Upon a Time in China 2

3) King of Beggars

Guest TheGrimReaper

My choices would go to the following:

Iron Monkey

OUATIC II

Burning Paradise

Fong Sai Yuk 1 & 2

Last hero in China

Wing Chun

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Guest Dragon Ma

I'm not too hot on the genre but I'll say Swordsman 2 all the way, the sheer amount of inventiveness on display in that movie is staggering and it actually has a pretty interesting story with some depth.

I'm not too hot on the genre but I'll say Swordsman 2 all the way, the sheer amount of inventiveness on display in that movie is staggering and it actually has a pretty interesting story with some depth.

Yeah, that was an extremely original movie. It was just so weird! When the dude uses the element pull to yank all that blood outta Brigitte Lin's chest I was like :eek:

Not all are wire-fu but these are my top ten of the 90's.

1. Iron Monkey

2. Tai Chi Master

3. Drunken Master II

4. Fist of Legend

5. Once Upon a Time in China

6. Once Upon a Time in China II

7. Dragon Inn

8. Wing Chun

9. Moon Warriors 

10. The Magic Crane

Not a fan of wire fu movies but if I had too choose it would be  Q.U.A.T.I.C 1&2 and Iron Monkey.I don't mind when it's set in the past but recently saw S.P.L 2  and hated it when the skilled practioners were on wires to do basic things for me it just looks stupid and it takes away from the performers actual abilities.