The Best Independent Kung Fu Movies!

Sifu

Guest will91XingYu

Thanks, yeh i saw his forms on youtube, he still looks good, also check out Charlie Chan's snake forms, he's put on a bit of weight but can still move with power.

Guest shadowkick

My pics for BEST INDIE KUNG FU MOVIES (non-swordplay).

just to narrow it down to 12.

1. INVINCIBLE ARMOUR..................john liu,hwang jang lee

2. 7 GRANDMASTERS......................li i min , jack long

3.EAGLES CLAWS...........................wang tao, chi kuan chun

4. BORN INVINCIBLE.......................carter wong,mark long

5. SHAOLIN VS. LAMA......................alexander lou, chang shan

6. NINJA CHECKMATE........................li i min,jack long

7. SNAKE IN THE EAGLE'S SHADOW..........jacky chan, hwang jang lee

8. DEATH DUEL OF KUNG FU..................john liu,wang tao

9. WOMAN AVENGER............................hsia kwan li , pang gang

10. HEROES OF SHAOLIN.....................chen hsing, hwang jang lee

11. HELL'S WIND STAFF.......................meng hai, hwang jang lee

12. SHAOLIN DEVIL AND SHAOLIN ANGEL...........wang tao , chen hsing

All of these flix have one thing in common , absolutely magnificent supervillians.I believe the indomitability of the villian ultimately defines a movie , as it showcases the leading man/woman's ability to over come

seemingly im surmountable odds

Add the imaginative and stylish choreography of the YUEN'S and the likes of COREY YUEN (7 grandmasters,invincible armour, heroes of shaolin)and you

have a gaint of a film. All of these elements plus a kick-ass lead will give you any of the above.

All time classics on hand here.

shadowkick

Guest Morgoth

Try it again sometime Ironfisted Monk. I loved the fighting so I don't know if you would be able to change your mind abotu that, but the movie grew on me more every time I watched it. I give it a 9/10. Its not exactly a Joseph Kuo type of movie. It is more serious than most kung fu flicks.

Guest ironfistedmonk

I don't think I will be watching it again any time soon mate :)

If you want to see a good wu shu stylised mainland film go for South Shaolin Master, Warriors of Sung Dynasty or Secret of Tai Chi.

Brigadier Chow

Unaunted Wu Dang is overrated IMO. Check out Diciples of the Shaolin Temple, good Mainlander, excellent Wu Shu on display. It is directed by Hua Shan of Shaw fame.

Guest Morgoth

damn you guys:p:p I have seen SSM and Secret of Tai Chi, but I will have to check out Disciples of the Shaolin temple and Warriors of Sung Dynasty. Secret of Tai Chi was a lot of fun. The story isn't very good, but there are TONS of good fights.

Guest will91XingYu

I need to see Warriors of the sung dynasty! Also want to see Monkey Goes West with Chang Chehes mainland group, seen one fight and it sold it to me!

Brigadier Chow

ZEN MASTER 6, lesser known but some great wu shu action. I almost forgot about that one. Also HOLY ROBE OF SHAOLIN TEMPLE & FIST OF SHAOLIN are worth mention.

Guest Morgoth

Is Fist of Shaolin the Wong Fei Hung movie from like 93? If so, good movie. Much better than I expected. And Holy Robe is great.

I don't know if this was mentioned but another great wushu movie is Yao's Young Warriors.

And I am watching The Dragon Lives Again right now. Definitely one of the best independent movies:p what other movie will you find Eric tsang playing Popeye the Sailor?

Is Fist of Shaolin the Wong Fei Hung movie from like 93? If so, good movie. Much better than I expected. And Holy Robe is great.

That sounds cool, I thought I knew all the Wire-Fu flicks that came outta the early 90s, but I aint never heard of that!

Guest Morgoth

Yes it is wire fu. I don't know if it is the movie Brigadier is talking about, but I just realized the movie I am thinking of is called FIST FROM SHAOLIN. It is quite good.

Yes it is wire fu. I don't know if it is the movie Brigadier is talking about, but I just realized the movie I am thinking of is called FIST FROM SHAOLIN. It is quite good.

Hmmm......... Sounds worth checking out, thanks!

Cognoscente

The Big Family (1976) is the best one for me. Stylistically, it's a combination of a period and a modern. The film also lives up to its title; there are so many famous martial arts names in the cast that it would only be surpassed ten years later when The Millionaire's Express came out.

• Like 2