The Best Independent Kung Fu Movies!

Sifu

To me, independent Kung Fu classics are the best. They didn't have the money of a Shaw Bros. or Golden Harvest flick, but with the right amount of direction, choreography and skill they can look and feel just as good.

I always felt the godfather of independent Kung Fu films was Joseph Kuo and Corey Yuen, so in effect my choice is the quintessential Corey Yuen flick, 7 Grandmasters! I could never get enough of that movie and it always seemed to me to be the ultimate Road Trip movie as well! HA HA, that movie had amazing choreography and of course the incomprable Li-Yi Min.

Guest Morgoth

Pretty much anything with Chang Shan is good. My favorite fight scene from Chang Shan is in 7 Steps of Kung Fu. I wish he would have done more movies. Same with Sun Jung-chi (the crazy monk).

Guest will91XingYu

Yhe his fight with Chi Kai and Ricky Cheng was so nuts! I loved William Yen as well he's a great acrobat! I heard from the rare kung fu movies forum that William Yen was promised starring roles by Robert Tai, and when he didn't get them he had a huge fall out with Robert Tai and said he'd never work with him again, now he runs a restaurant! Also i'm probably gona get a lot of hate for this but i think Lo Rei is better than Chang Shan, i guess i need to see more of his movies, but he's loved everywhere! I swear he's in prison now as well!

Guest Morgoth

Well that is too bad if he is in prison. I heard he was hard to work with so maybe that is why he wasn't in too many movies. And the way I see it, Chang Shan could beat down Lo Rei using only his pinky. :D

Guest will91XingYu

lol! nuha Lo Rei would kick his ass! Chang Shan not only knows taekwondo he does wrestling like Peng Kang, is it true Peng Kang was Jackies double?

Guest Morgoth

I don't know about JAckie's double, but yeah, Chang Shan pulls those wrestling moves off better than anyone I have ever seen in a kung fu movie. Have you seen Shaolin Temple Strikes Back? Chang Shan owns that movie, and he also gets to show off his acting ability.

Guest will91XingYu

No i havwnt, who else is in it, wait is Chang Shan like a manchu general or something, if you liekd that War of the Shaolin Temple is great. Alan Hsu fights Mark Long at the end, it's got Chi Kai doing drunken pole and Chiang Sheng and Ricky Cheng are in it!

Guest Morgoth

Yeah War of Shaolin temple is good.

Shaolin Temple Strikes Back is a Joseph Kuo movie and Chang Shan plays a General who is after a princess (I think it is a princess). It stars the lead actor from War of Shaolin Temple and also Mark Long. Mark Long gets to kick some major ass. Really good movie.

Guest will91XingYu

Cool! i though the guy from War of the Shaolin temple was really good! I've seen Chang Shan in the end fight of this film with the woman from Kung fu Wonderchild and Dick Wei.

Brigadier Chow

That movie is called Heroic Fight and was choreographed by Yuen Hsiang Jen. Good modern action. Out of the movies mentioned... Shaolin Temple Strikes back is much the best. There is a uncut Thai vcd but it has no subs. There is additional fight footage too. Here are some other indies definitely worth checking out.

Woman Avenger

World of the Drunken Master

Dynamite Trio

Of Cooks and Kung Fu

Shaolin Heroes

Trouble Maker Coming

Incredible Kung Fu Mission

Mystery of Chessboxing

7 Commandments of Kung Fu

Guest shadowkick

IN THIS ORDER

1. SWORD OF JUSTICE

2. BLOODY MISSION..........................liu yung ; pang gang

3. MOON NIGHT CUTTER.....................ling yung ; angella mao

4. VEILING OF THE HIDDEN SWORD.........tien peng

5. PAI YU CHING.................................tien peng

6. THE SWORD......................................adam cheng ;tsiu siu keung

7. SOULS OF THE SWORD......................phillip ko ; wang kwan hsiung

8. LAST HURRAH FOR CHIVALRY.............wei pai ;damian lau

9.FIGHT FOR GLORY...............................david chiang; tisu siu keung

10. MAJESTIC CAT.................................tien peng

honorable mention to:

hero's tear

shanghai killers

strife for mastery

duel to the death

jade fox

Mind you , I haven't seen them all , so if I am missing something special , please feel free to jump in...

Also , please bear in mind that these are all NON- SHAWS.

shadowkick

Guest ironfistedmonk

Thats some list of swordplay classics, I've got Fight For Glory in my to watch pile but the others are all great indie swordplay, especially Pai Yu Ching, I love that movie.

I'll second the Brigadier with his nice selection and I'll add

The Loot and The Challenger obviously, also

Daggers 8

Buddhas Palm and Dragon Fist

Hero of the Wild

Beggars have No Equal

Jade Fox

2 Assassins of Darkness

Crane Fighter

Big Rascal

Guest will91XingYu

Thanks, i've heard of a lot of these, i've got Of Cooks and kung fu, i loved the training scene! Daggers 8 is awesome with Wilson Tong, whos in the film 2 Assassins of Darkness, ive never heard of it.

Guest will91XingYu

Cool thanks, i saw Broken Oath yesterday with no subtitles,so i didn't really get what was going on, great end fight! Bruce Liang and Chan Wai Man are awesome. I have to say Angela Mao really annoied me and i don't know why.

Have any of you seen the couple of good flicks that RARESCOPE has released? I'd have to say that Along Comes the Tiger was the best, I talked to Pollard about, he agrees! Wong Tao produced it and it was directed by Tommy Lee directed and choreographed so it had some pretty good action. I thought the character of Sacred Cloud was the bomb too! :cool: If you haven't seen it I definately suggest.

Guest will91XingYu

Along Comes a Tiger has Tung Wei in it right? He's awesome can really kick, my faviroute rarescope films are probably Showdown at the Cottonmill (forgot to add it to the list) because of Tan Tao Liang and Chi Kuan Chuns fight. Drunken Dragon with Sun Kwok Ming, Ko Fei and William Yen is great if you love Yuen style comedies. Another faviroute old school film is Dreadnaught, although Yuen Biao should of had more fights.

Guest Morgoth

Yeah I think Tung Wei has like one fight in Along Comes a Tiger.

And Drunken Dragon was awesome. My only complaint was that the fat girl should have been in the movie more. and even though Leung Kar Yan didn't really fight I thought he played his role very well. I love the final fight. Like a WWF match.

Guest Morgoth

It is definitely worth buying. It has a commentary from Wong Tao where he talks about Wu Ma directing it and tons of other interesting stuff.

And I don't remember Yip Fei Yang fighting. Is that Meng fei's brother?

Guest will91XingYu

Cool thanks, and yeh the end of Drunken Dragon is awesome, i though Dan Chupong was insane, that Sun Kwok Ming is crazy! Rarescopes got loads of interesting stuff, like in the Showdown at the Cottonmill dvd, the Kuo Ching (i think his name is) said about how Tan Tao Liangs control of his kicks wasn't great and that his brother Tan Tao Kung was a really horrible guy.

Guest Morgoth

Check out Choi Lee Fut Kung Fu. Cliff Lok, Phillip Ko and Yeung Pan Pan tear it up. And there is an interview and demonstration from Cliff Lok. He is thicker, but his forms look much stronger than they did back in the 70's.