Ten Tigers of Kwantung Review

Guest gfanikf

Guest gfanikf

What happens when you mix all the Venoms (even Wei Pai), Ti Lung, Fu Sheng, Ku Feng, Johnny Wang? Well, you get an amazing asskicking experience. Ten Tigers of Kwantung is as much a tribute to the career of Cheng Cheh as Shanghai 13 and perhaps even more because it was a Shaws film, whilst Shanghai 13 was an independent production. This film contains actors from the early period of Cheng Cheh’s Shaw career, the Venoms, and even the so-called Baby Venom’s. Ten Tigers of Kwantung is a portrait of Cheng Cheh’s work in a broad brush stroke.

Rest at

http://hkfilmnews.blogspot.com/2007/11/ten-tigers-of-kwnatung-review.html

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest oldeschool17

1st half is fine. The second half(where the emphasis is on the pupil's) and ending is just plain awful.

1st half= 7 out of 10 rating

2nd half=2 out of 10 rating.

Guest gfanikf
1st half is fine. The second half(where the emphasis is on the pupil's) and ending is just plain awful.

1st half= 7 out of 10 rating

2nd half=2 out of 10 rating.

I don't know something about the "head scene" automatically gives it an extra 3-4 points automatically :)

Guest oldeschool17

i dunno, i wish it would have maintained a venoms/ti lung/even a fu sheng feel throughout the whole movie instead of switching gears and putting the emphasis on the "baby venoms". Dont get me wrong, i understand what chang cheh was trying to do with this movie but i thought he fucked up in the execution

Guest gfanikf
i dunno, i wish it would have maintained a venoms/ti lung/even a fu sheng feel throughout the whole movie instead of switching gears and putting the emphasis on the "baby venoms". Dont get me wrong, i understand what chang cheh was trying to do with this movie but i thought he fucked up in the execution

I think that had to do with the movie being filmed at such different times and who was available to work at the time.

Guest gfanikf
Kung Fu Good, Movie 2.5/5

I think its actually pretty good. It's fairly streamlined and I think its nowhere near as confusing as I thought it could have been. I think the story helps set up the action pretty decently.

Guest will91XingYu

Thanks for the review. I actually prefereed the second half, i liked the Chin Siu Ho and Lung Tien Tsang fight, also the had scene is worth watching the movie. Wang Li was cool in this film. Also why did Dick Wei bother making films with the venoms he never got to do much!

Guest Morgoth

Wang Li was awesome in this movie. That last weapon he used reminded me a lot of Scorpion from Mortal Kombat. Could be where MK got the idea from.

Guest teako170

10 Tigers takes a few hits due to the flip flopping of the plotlines but its still a decent film - if for anything, its large cast of Shaw alum.

What you guys need to do is find a copy of the Super-Duper, Ultra-Rare, Not-Sold-In-Stores, Deleted Scenes Version 2.0 which features awe inspiring action such as Sun Chien devasting this puny bridge with one mighty kick! Beware the power of the Venoms... :D

tigertiger.jpg

Guest clfnole

I wonder how much else was filmed that never made it to the movie. Seems to me if they would have kept with the main plot line and finished the film when they originally started it rather than much later it would have been a better film. They could have done a follow-up film later with the batch of students.

Guest Shaolin Patriot
What happens when you mix all the Venoms (even Wei Pai), Ti Lung, Fu Sheng, Ku Feng, Johnny Wang? Well, you get an amazing asskicking experience. Ten Tigers of Kwantung is as much a tribute to the career of Cheng Cheh as Shanghai 13 and perhaps even more because it was a Shaws film, whilst Shanghai 13 was an independent production. This film contains actors from the early period of Cheng Cheh’s Shaw career, the Venoms, and even the so-called Baby Venom’s. Ten Tigers of Kwantung is a portrait of Cheng Cheh’s work in a broad brush stroke.

Couldn't agree more.

Guest Shaolin Patriot
10 Tigers takes a few hits due to the flip flopping of the plotlines but its still a decent film - if for anything, its large cast of Shaw alum.

What you guys need to do is find a copy of the Super-Duper, Ultra-Rare, Not-Sold-In-Stores, Deleted Scenes Version 2.0 which features awe inspiring action such as Sun Chien devasting this puny bridge with one mighty kick! Beware the power of the Venoms... :D

Let's hope that Media Blasters will release it as complete as possible!

Let's hope that Media Blasters will release it as complete as possible!

We're trying to do that. I've asked about any cut scenes. Only a trip to the Shaw Brothers vaults will tell the tale.

Guest kungfusamurai

Man, if the movie prints themselves were in bad shape, I can't imagine how bad the outtakes will be. Well, even if they're all yellow, it would be nice to see stuff not in the final film. It'll all be silent, I imagine, unless Chang worked on the film initially, started dubbing, put it on pause, then decided to revisit it later and completed the dubbing.

I personally really liked this film. I was so pleased with myself when I came across the english dub version on DVD that was mislabelled as Ten Tigers From Shaolin by Ground Zero last year. I'd take this film over any Yuen Chor sword flick, that's for sure.

KFS

Sound wasn't added to Shaw films until after they were edited together, so just about any scenes that were cut would be silent. I certainly wouldn't hold my breath for cut scenes with sound. Or cut scenes in genral really, the likelyhood of finding any is VERY small. But we are looking.

Guest Endsang

The kung fu in this movie is top notch, but it's too small for such a huge all star cast, meaning they don't get to spend much time on the character development. In my opinion they should have split this movie up, casting the baby venoms in a sequel. Still though, the end fight is awesome, Wang Li is really good in this and I particulary like Ti Lung's moves when he snaps Wang Lung Wei's sword. But what's with the golden statue? Is that a real weapon?

Guest will91XingYu

I prefer the baby venoms end fight, Chin Siu Ho and Lung Tien Tsang vs. Wang Li and Kwan Feng it's wiked, also the head kicking scene is classic!

Guest jmungus
I prefer the baby venoms end fight, Chin Siu Ho and Lung Tien Tsang vs. Wang Li and Kwan Feng it's wiked, also the head kicking scene is classic!

amitabha to that

(back when i was a teen watching 10TFK, it would even bug me out a little there were these 'unfamiliar guys' stealin the show from my fave kf actors with this fight :o )

Guest Iron_Jinon
I wonder how much else was filmed that never made it to the movie. Seems to me if they would have kept with the main plot line and finished the film when they originally started it rather than much later it would have been a better film. They could have done a follow-up film later with the batch of students.

could be a lot footage missing which would have made it well over 2+hours and far enjoyable experience..ti lung,fu sheng,venoms,wang lung wei etc......this still sucks quite a lot.

Archived