New Talent

Bus

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a friend, Anthony Dawe, he did some homemade short films in his homeland of the UK. He was asked to appear in Gen-Y Cops back in 2000 in a brief role as a cage fighter, but at the last minute, Ron Smoorenburg said he would do the role for free. It is a shame too.

I think for newcomers, definitely Jonathan Foo and Jake Strickland from House of Fury. I hear Jackie Chan is prepping up some new work for Jake in the near future as he hits 18 next month. Marko Zaror was great in Kiltro. Michael B. is a great new talent too. He's one of Panna Rittikrai's boys and he has a new film coming out soon.

Guest will91XingYu

I know iv'e said him but i think Xing Yu can be big, because he not only can he kick but he can do all kinds of shapes and modren day. There's also part of Donnie Yen's team called Yuji Shidomura i think and he's only oldest mid 30's and he is awesome he is on the ultimate fighters documentry.

Guest Morgoth

Xing Yu doesn't impress me with his fighting nearly as much as guys like Marko Zaror or Kane Kosugi, but I like his acting. He is really good as being a bad guy.

Guest Milkyway

Xing Yu has yet to show his huge range in MA for the generic public but seeing as how he handled himself in both Kung Fu Hustle and Flash Point, there's shouldn't be a problem as he's got the biggest potential of superstardom and being a leading man in his own right imo. of course if he's teamed up with a great director and an excellent action choreographer, that is.

Kenji Tanigaki, also a donnie yen stunt team member, has shown some interesting stuff lately so he could have a chance to break into his own as well.

So, obviously, there are plenty of talented young fighters around. The real question though, is: Where are the young talented choreographers? the same goes for action directors. Without them all those fighters are being wasted from film to film, for the most part

Guest Morgoth
Xing Yu has yet to show his huge range in MA for the generic public

I have seen him in a ton of clips on youtube. He is good, but nothing special IMO. Nothing like a guy like Kane Kosugi.

Guest Morgoth
So, obviously, there are plenty of talented young fighters around. The real question though, is: Where are the young talented choreographers? the same goes for action directors. Without them all those fighters are being wasted from film to film, for the most part

Very true. Unfortunately there are not too many up and coming action choreographers.

Guest will91XingYu

Yhe but Xing Yu is a bit younger than Kane Kosugi, but yeh Kane Kosugi is a great fighter, his helicopter kick is amazing! I have to say in my opinion Xing Yu is better than Mark Zazor, Kane Kosugi was the best thing about War and his fight with Jet was like 15 seconds!

Guest Morgoth
I have to say in my opinion Xing Yu is better than Mark Zazor,

To me Marko Zaror's moves are just as good as Xing Yu's if not better. Plus he is so much bigger than Xing Yu. Amazing to see a big man move like that.

Guest will91XingYu

I agree it'slike seeing Sammo Hung move the way he does, but sorry for me Xing Yu is awesome, go on youtube and watch his mantis!

Guest Milkyway
I have seen him in a ton of clips on youtube. He is good, but nothing special IMO. Nothing like a guy like Kane Kosugi.

my thoughts about new talents and such is that some things are noticed alot than others due to some kind of special ability that looks more appealing and good-looking onscreen to people, like Kosugi who gets praised alot because of his kicks (again, I haven't seen much of this guy so I might be wrong). people who see such fight actors or stuntmen in movies tend to do that often and expect them to show more of what they can do with that speciality. however, what I look in a screenfighter is more than just gimmicks... charisma, persona, energy and of course convincing as well as powerful MA ability and I may be one of few people who see it in Xing Yu (despite the few A-grade movies he's been in so far).

Guest will91XingYu

I would love to see where you could get hold of his older films because Xing Yu can vary his martial arts talents from kicking to swordplay to shapes.

Guest Morgoth
my thoughts about new talents and such is that some things are noticed alot than others due to some kind of special ability that looks more appealing and good-looking onscreen to people, like Kosugi who gets praised alot because of his kicks (again, I haven't seen much of this guy so I might be wrong). people who see such fight actors or stuntmen in movies tend to do that often and expect them to show more of what they can do with that speciality. however, what I look in a screenfighter is more than just gimmicks... charisma, persona, energy and of course convincing as well as powerful MA ability and I may be one of few people who see it in Xing Yu (despite the few A-grade movies he's been in so far).

You should check out more of his movies. He definitely has charisma. he looks like the meanest dude in the world when he fights. I have never seen Xing Yu look as tough as Kosugi. And not only his kicks are awesome, he has a lot of other great moves. His arm locking skills look ultra deadly. All of his moves are very proficient.

Guest will91XingYu

I've seen a bit of his younger brother Shane Kosugi i think he's pretty good as well, i didn;t know that Kane and his dad hate each other, because Kane refused to carry of his dads martiall arts school and go into the film industry.

Guest Morgoth
I've seen a bit of his younger brother Shane Kosugi i think he's pretty good as well, i didn;t know that Kane and his dad hate each other, because Kane refused to carry of his dads martiall arts school and go into the film industry.

Thanks for sharing those random thoughts Will:p

Guest will91XingYu

Another of Donnie Yen's guys called Yun Hua is a wushu guy is supposed to be really good, he's in the Painted Skins remake i think.

Guest will91XingYu

I hope he gets more screen time in Donnie's upcoming films. Do you know who Xing Yu plays in Dragon Tiger Gate, because iv'e seen it a few times and can't see him!

Guest will91XingYu

Thanks yeh! I didn't like this film much apart from Nicholas Tse's restaurant fight, i think Nic will be a fairly big action star, not only can he kick but it's cool how he always wants to do his own stunts, he wanted to on Gen X Cops but the director wouldn't let him.

Archived