Kim Jin-Pal and Tan Tao-Liang

Guest Jesse Smooth

Guest Jesse Smooth

As some of us had the pleasure of meeting and being photographed with (as well as getting autographs from) Grandmaster Kim this summer. The guy is just a class act. Some of us saw snippets from the super rare MANDARIN aka Godfathers of Hong Kong (which co-starred the eternally sexy Hu Chin). The guy is a phenomenal talent and I believe Linn had said that his choreography was cutting edge for the time his films were made (early 1970s).

Unfortuneately, only one of his films are semi-available and that's VALLEY OF THE DOUBLE DRAGONS aka Kung Fu of Tai Kwan Do. That being a bad film doesn't really give his skills any justice.

Anyways, I was just checking out his website www.jinpalhapkido.com, and was looking at photographs. I saw a photo of a plaque that he recieved and was signed by various martial artists. One of the signatures was that of Delon Tan aka Tan Tao Liang. So it is obvious that the two had known one another at one point. After seeing that, I thought that it would have been cool if the two were to make a film together as they are both excellent kickers.

Perhaps if Linn were to get the chance to interview Grandmaster Kim, maybe he could ask about that relationship.

As far as his movies, I wish somebody would put legit releases. Again, as I say with other rare movies, whoever has the film prints locked up are sitting on a gold mine.

BTW, shortly before Bruce Lee died, the Hong Kong media was to have scheduled a match between the two since they were rivals in the film industry and GM Kim's HK school was near where Lee had lived. To say who have won is besides the point, but I would have loved to see the fight since they were both artists in their prime.

Cognoscente
On 11/2/2007 at 7:18 AM, Guest Jesse Smooth said:

BTW, shortly before Bruce Lee died, the Hong Kong media was to have scheduled a match between the two since they were rivals in the film industry and GM Kim's HK school was near where Lee had lived. To say who have won is besides the point, but I would have loved to see the fight since they were both artists in their prime.

There was a film studio who made an offer that the person who could beat Bruce would win a movie contract. Even in Bey Logan's Bruce Lee book, it was noted that Kim Jin-Pal really got around (networking-wise) in such a short period of time...

Tiger, released in March '73, featured Bolo, Chieh Yuan, Lee Ka-Ting, Peter Chan Lung and Lam Ching-Ying.

Black Guide (1973) featured Bolo, Chin Ti, James Nam, Fong Yau and Fung Hak-On while choreographed by Lau Kar-Wing.

The Mandarin (1973) co-starring Shaw Bros. star Shirley Wong and a pre-fame John Woo.

Bruce Lee: The Man, The Legend (1973) - Kim appears in the funeral footage.

Evidence (1974) choreographed by him and starring Charles Heung alongside Betty Ting Pei.

Kung Fu of Taekwondo (1974) - written by Ni Kuang and featuring Bob Baker.

• Like 2