Black Mask 2: City of Masks (2002)

Bus

did anybody have the misfortune of watching this movie, or was i the only one? this movie almost drove me to gauging out my eye balls with a spork.. does anybody else think this ranks as the worst if not near the worst film(s) of all time?

Why did Yuen Wo-Ping even work on the fights...or were there fights...then again...it was interesting because for the fans of horror films, Iguana was played by the 2003 Leatherface, Andrew Bryniarski.

Andy On didn't do much but jump off walls and that was pretty much it. Thank God he improved in a major way after training at the Shaolin Temple and under Jackie Chan Stunt Team leader Nicky Li Chung-Chi.

If you like the very cheesy movies, then you could do worse than this.

Guest will91XingYu

Andy On is really cool guy in interviews hes really down to earth and his english is perfect (this isn't a love letter i swear) but yeh luckily hes making good films now, i didn't like the first one too much eiother.

Shadow Mask was better than this, and we're talking a ripoff of Black Mask that starred Louis Fan Siu-Wong as the titled character. In China, they released the film as Black Mask 3.

Guest TheGrimReaper

I had the rare un-pleasure of watching this sort-of-movie, and it was one totallly forgetable experience... Anyway, such movies should exsist so we can spot a real masterpiece among all the crap and cheesy movie efforts...

Guest mark187

yeah, Black Mask 2 is easily the worst of Tsui Hark's films, even worse than Knock Off! Luckily I only wasted 2 bucks on it, but I tried to sell it at a garage sale for 1 buck and nobody would even buy it!

Guest TheGrimReaper

Knock Off & Double Team were actually pretty good compared to Black Mask 2... or Drunken Master 3... One of the few good movies by Jean Claude van Damme, once a decent actor in B-movies, now he is rarely seen on screen - the same happened with Steven Seagal... Sad but true...

Well look at the bright side. Black Mask 2 may have been a horrible movie, but some good things would come later from some of its actors:

Andy On (Black Mask): New Police Story, Fatal Contact

Scott Adkins (Lang): Special Forces, Undisputed II: Last Man Standing

Tobin Bell (Moloch): Playing Jigsaw in the "Saw" Movies

Andrew Bryniarski (Iguana): Playing Leatherface in the 2003 remake of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and its 2006 Prequel

Tyler Mane (Thorn): First he was Sabertooth in X-Men (2000) now he's known as Michael Myers in the Halloween remake (2007)

Like they say...everyone has their bad days.

Drunken Monk

They say everyone's going to experience COVID at some point. I've been one of the lucky ones in that I've never contracted the terrible disease. Though I've avoided the horrors of the effects of Corona Virus, today was the day I truly couldn't avoid the inevitable any longer. I finally sat down and watched Black Mask 2: City of Masks (2002).

What can I say? Black Mask 2 is worse than COVID. Black Mask 2 is worse than having COVID and Monkey Pox. Put simply, it's one of the worst films in human existence.
If you haven't seen it, you simply cannot fathom how bad this movie is. I'd list its flaws but it would probably take days. Its most egregious flaw is its abysmal CGI. Tsui Hark decided that everything should be CGI. Actors, background, debris, Andy On flipping a fucking coin. So much shitty CGI. 
The second most egregious thing is that there simply isn't enough martial arts. Hell, there's barely any. There is weird action featuring CGI baddies or people in rubber suits but the actual martial arts doesn't turn up until the finale where Andy On takes on Scott Adkins. Oh yeah, Scott Adkins is in this. As is Tobin Bell, of all people. Spoiler alert, he whispers...a lot.

How this film launched Andy On's career, I'll never know. He's awful in it. It's no fault of his own though. He's just given dismal material to work with. Yuen Woo Ping is the action choreographer and even he looks terrible. The action could have been designed by my Auntie, for fuck's sake. And she's riddled with arthritis.

I believe in tackling pollution in a major way but I also believe that every copy of this film should be dumped in the ocean and forgotten about. 

Grade: F

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

They say everyone's going to experience COVID at some point. I've been one of the lucky ones in that I've never contracted the terrible disease. Though I've avoided the horrors of the effects of Corona Virus, today was the day I truly couldn't avoid the inevitable any longer. I finally sat down and watched Black Mask 2: City of Masks (2002).

What can I say? Black Mask 2 is worse than COVID. Black Mask 2 is worse than having COVID and Monkey Pox. Put simply, it's one of the worst films in human existence.
If you haven't seen it, you simply cannot fathom how bad this movie is. I'd list its flaws but it would probably take days. Its most egregious flaw is its abysmal CGI. Tsui Hark decided that everything should be CGI. Actors, background, debris, Andy On flipping a fucking coin. So much shitty CGI. 
The second most egregious thing is that there simply isn't enough martial arts. Hell, there's barely any. There is weird action featuring CGI baddies or people in rubber suits but the actual martial arts doesn't turn up until the finale where Andy On takes on Scott Adkins. Oh yeah, Scott Adkins is in this. As is Tobin Bell, of all people. Spoiler alert, he whispers...a lot.

How this film launched Andy On's career, I'll never know. He's awful in it. It's no fault of his own though. He's just given dismal material to work with. Yuen Woo Ping is the action choreographer and even he looks terrible. The action could have been designed by my Auntie, for fuck's sake. And she's riddled with arthritis.

I believe in tackling pollution in a major way but I also believe that every copy of this film should be dumped in the ocean and forgotten about. 

Grade: F

It is a bad sequel, but seeing how Andy On was on screen, I saw potential. Turns out he actually filmed LOOKING FOR MISTER PERFECT first apparently but China Star wanted to launch BLACK MASK II first. The SARS epidemic would ultimately make LFMP (which was better than BMII) bomb but On wasn't ready to give up and look what has happened since his win as Best New Actor for his role in STAR RUNNER. Good to see he still is kicking ass 20 years later and Scott Adkins...nuff said...when I saw this, Adkins' Dr. Lang, my first thought was...what in the actual ****?

MV5BODU2ODAwOWItMThjNy00OTIwLTgxYTctOTQ1

Yuen black-mask-2--city-of-masks_gallery2_mai
Yuen Woo-Ping with Scott and Andy on the set

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1