Kwaidan

Guest Tosh

For my Halloween I'm going old school Japanese horror, I've been meaning to watch this for years now, ashamed to say I never had the chance to watch it, so I'll be getting out the popcorn and sake, I think I'll be in for a treat.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Easily one of my all time fave films. The best version currently that I've seen is the UK Masters of Cinema release.

Without a doubt! The print is simply FANTASTIC..I'm in the mood for popping the disc in and giving it another view now!:)

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Criterion's version is cut!!! God damn it. I'll definitely have to look up the UK Masters Of Cinema version. Great film.

What a fantastic film, I will definitely be seeking out the UK Masters Of Cinema print as I feel I must own this film now, what a perfect choice for a halloween movie. It was great seeing a young wide eyed Tatsuya Nakadai in The Woman in the Snow, but my favorite story has to be Hoichi the Earless, the beginning going between the paintings and the battle scenes while the monk sings the narrative is what I'm talking about, it just don't get any better for me. Something has to be said about the feeling you get when you watch a true classic for the first time, people don't understand why I ignore the new films and watch these older classics, for me cinema can never top this time period.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Something has to be said about the feeling you get when you watch a true classic for the first time, people don't understand why I ignore the new films and watch these older classics, for me cinema can never top this time period.

Now brother, your touching on a topic of serious determination, something that is lacking in most of todays film making.

Something has to be said about the feeling you get when you watch a true classic for the first time, people don't understand why I ignore the new films and watch these older classics, for me cinema can never top this time period.

Now brother, your touching on a topic of serious determination, something that is lacking in most of todays film making.

Yeah man I try to put my finger on why these movies are so great and I think your right, between the superior acting, the sets/design, the realism, they are determined to pay attention to every little detail.

Guest Mr. Vampire

Usually with those people I try to put it in terms they may understand, I tell them "It's like the difference between a typically aged Cheddar Cheese, and Cheez Whiz"

If they don't get it then, it's hopeless.

Usually with those people I try to put it in terms they may understand, I tell them "It's like the difference between a typically aged Cheddar Cheese, and Cheez Whiz"

If they don't get it then, it's hopeless.

Lmao, good analogy:p.

Guest Stuntman Jules

Kwaidan is good, but not one of my all time favorites (though it was for a while). The Women of the Snow and Hoichi the Earless segments are great, if the movie had consisted of just those two stories it would be a masterpiece (and much shorter to boot). The cinematography is stunning but the film suffers from a merely okay very dull first segment and a rather subpar, uninteresting last segment. I dunno, I just like cultier Japanese stuff better than classy stuff like Kwaidan.

Archived